FORUMS: list search recent posts

will kona work with new imac?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet Reddy
will kona work with new imac?
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:00:34 am

is it possible to get the new imacs to work with a kona card to capture digibeat through sdi or am i asking too much? and also HDCAM asking a lot more?. This will be straightforward editing with no effects?
cheers emmet

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: will kona work with new imac?
on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:14:34 pm

No, the AJA Kona card is an internal card that is only made for the Mac Pros.

You can purchase an AJA IoHD to work with the new iMac. It supports the flavors of ProRes, no Uncompressed. If you want to go Uncompressed, you'll require a Mac Pro.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:51:28 pm

thanks, yea ive seen those AJA IoHD boxes, i was suprised how light it was, im sure it works fine but for some reason id feel more comfortable if it had a bit of weight to it.
Cheers Emmet

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 4, 2009 at 5:35:52 pm

[Emmet Reddy] "im sure it works fine but for some reason id feel more comfortable if it had a bit of weight to it. "

Until you had to drag it arounf with you everywhere you go! :)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 4, 2009 at 5:38:41 pm

[Emmet Reddy] "thanks, yea ive seen those AJA IoHD boxes, i was suprised how light it was, im sure it works fine but for some reason id feel more comfortable if it had a bit of weight to it.
Cheers Emmet "

You've picked them up? I think they're 5 pounds or so. Pretty beefy boxes.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:08:25 am

Emmet -
you know they have a SPECIAL AJA I/O HD box, that weighs 60 pounds, and costs $12,000. It's much better quality than the regular I/O HD boxes, but only SPECIAL people can get one - and you are one of those people. Garchow-Biscardi-Zelin video sales can get you one, but just don't tell anyone - it's a secret.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 5, 2009 at 1:15:18 am

Booooooooooooooooooobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!

We all agreed NEVER to post ANY information about this on the web. NEVER!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2009 at 2:01:40 am

Crap. There goes the NDA. Better call an attorney.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:38:33 pm

Emmet, just bolt the IO/HD on top of your battery box. If you have to go to a shoot instead of a suite sometime, all the handles and hardware will already be in the familiar places.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:23:45 am

Sorry, but the IOHD won't work with the iMac. Why? Sure, you have the firewire connection for it, but then what do you use for video storage? USB doesn't work for video...not a good sustained throughput. And the firewire bus...the ONLY firewire bus, is taken by the IOHD. So you can't use firewire. And you have zero expansion so no additional FW busses can be added, nor eSATA, MiniSAS, Fibrechannel. And you can't capture ProRes to your system drive.

Sooooo...

No external capture devices work on the iMac for capturing SDI or analog high end video. The iMac is a consumer computer, and it is fine for DV and HDV...but not Digibeta or ProRes.

As for not trusting the IOHD because it isn't HEAVY enough? Very odd statement. I just used it to upconvert a boatload of beta and digitbeta tapes to ProRes HD for a special on JFK that will air on NatGeo on the 22nd of this month. THE ENTIRE SHOW was SD upconverted to HD. I took my laptop and the IOHD and a Caldigit VR with me to Dallas to do the online remotely, as there were LOTS of tapes involved.

And FYI, the Matrox MXO2 is lighter than the IOHD, and is also a rather good capture device. Won't connect to an iMac though.

Forget the iMac...get a MacBook pro. Then you can have either the Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE or IOHD to connect.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:27:51 am

[Shane Ross] "No external capture devices work on the iMac for capturing SDI or analog high end video. The iMac is a consumer computer, and it is fine for DV and HDV...but not Digibeta or ProRes.
"

Sorry, but we're using them for ProRes every single day and will shortly have four edit workstations all built around the 27" iMac. How? High speed ethernet SAN. Works like a dream. 720p and 1080 ProRes all day, everyday.

The iMac is not a consumer machine anymore with the introduction of Ethernet SAN. In fact it just rocks with 92 hours of 720p material for our current documentary.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:30:14 am

ETHERNET SAN! I forgot about that! And the legendary Bob designed one for the MaxxDigital people.

OK then...I'm wrong. Good to be wrong.

Shane

Return to posts index

Emmet Reddy
on Nov 6, 2009 at 8:40:34 am

Thanks guys for the info, its not worth the hassle, im just gona have to get the man to shell out for a mac pro and a KONA card.

Emmet Reddy

Return to posts index

tyler Granlund
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:11:45 pm

Ive been reading about this ethernet san, and considering it as the best way to use those beautiful new iMacs. Would you mind expanding a bit more on how you are set up? At least from the SAN standpoint, Im looking to set up something in the next few weeks any tips on the SAN would be great. This is the same as ISCSI?

Return to posts index

tyler Granlund
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:24:39 pm

NM- Just found the full article.

Return to posts index

Adam Clarkson
on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:35:34 pm

Hi Walter,
Can you point me in the direction of finding out more information about this - basically I want to buy and run an imac wth FCP connected with firewire RAID and with Video SDI monitoring/ capability of SDI video+audio playout to external recorder (Kona?).

The projects are for publishing on the web and DVD, real time monitoring is my main concern.

I had hoped that there would be a workaround the new iMacs not having an expansion slot enabling both data access and external monitoring, so was excited when I saw your post.

I had hoped to buy an iMac which would give the best performance (for the money) and have been led to believe that this is the Quad Core i7 and am looking at 8gb RAM. You mentioned jumbo frames - if I am working with footage captured on an EX1 1920 x 1080/50i (for archive purposes) are the ethernet limitations still relevant or even what would be the best set up?

Any information you can give I am sure will be helpful
Regards,

Adam

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 30, 2010 at 5:30:36 pm

[Adam Clarkson] "basically I want to buy and run an imac wth FCP connected with firewire RAID and with Video SDI monitoring/ capability of SDI video+audio playout to external recorder (Kona?). "

Kona won't work...not with an iMac. Really the ONLY solution for monitoring out of an iMac is the Matrox MXO. Not MXO2...MXO. It connects via DVI, and the iMac has that. Kona cards all connect via PCIe, and the iMac doesn't have that. The firewire options won't work as they take over the firewire bus, making the Firewire raid not function properly. Gotta face it, the iMac really isn't meant as a final online beast. MIGHT work with the MXO. Walter has mine to test.

Shane

Return to posts index

Adam Clarkson
on Apr 4, 2010 at 11:56:15 am

Hi, thanks for the reply, keep me posted re the testing, I havnt purchased anything yet as I am weighing up the options for my budget, regards, Adam

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:15:13 pm

Hey Shane

Don't forget the AJA Io Express, $995 and 1.4 lbs (maybe too light!)

thx

Matty Causon
Phosphor
EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]