FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi - CalDigit S2VR crashing

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Meadows
Kona LHi - CalDigit S2VR crashing
on Oct 31, 2009 at 6:04:19 pm

Posted a similar thread in the CalDigit forum but was wondering if anyone here might also be able to help.

Have a new 8-Core Intel MacPro. Snow Leopard + FCP7. LHi in slot 2. CalDigit FASTA-4E in slot 4 controlling external CalDigit S2VR. Latest drivers from AJA and CalDigit downloaded today.

Did the following in this order:
-All Apple software updates.
-Installed FCP7 and ran it once to confirm operation. No issues.
-Apple software update again, this time included Pro App updates.
-Installed the LHi and the CalDigit controller card at the same time.
-Rebooted, installed CalDigit drivers and control manager software, then shut down normally.
-Connected SATA cables, turned on the S2VR then the MacPro.
-Booted normally, S2VR appeared on the desktop. Could access data.
-Installed LHi drivers and rebooted.
-The minute I double-clicked the S2VR HD on the desktop the MacPro gray screened asking to hold power button to restart.
-Now every time I start the MacPro it gray screens and asks for restart the minute the desktop appears.

Conflicting AJA/CalDigit drivers? Firmware issue with the drives?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LHi - CalDigit S2VR crashing
on Oct 31, 2009 at 7:47:49 pm

Cal Digit discontinued the S2VR because of all the issues with the Sil3124 chipset (the same chipset used by Sonnet, and other companies that make port multipler products). You own a Cal Digit Fasta 4e, and I assume that you have properly downloaded the correct drivers for your operating system from the Cal Digit site.

First, if you have an older MAC Pro, make sure that none of these cards are running in a x1 lane slot (Kona LHi or Cal Digit Fasta 4e). I would certainly try getting out of slot 2, and putting the card in slot 3 (against AJA's advice).

If this fails, transfer a little media onto your internal boot drive. Now, disconnect the S2VR, and fire up FCP, and see if you can play your media (your Fasta 4e is still in your computer, and if there is a conflict with the driver, it will fail again). But I bet it does not fail. I bet there is no conflict with the driver.

This is probably your fix, and you will not want to do it. I have gone thru this crap with both Sonnet E4P and Cal Digit Fasta 4e cards. Reinitialize your S2VR drives as a clean RAID 0 group (you are now saying "ARE YOU CRAZY - all my media is on this drive array). When you do this, I bet you 10 bucks your problem goes away.
So why does this happen - ask Silicon Image for the wonderful port multipler chipset, that has plagued every manufacturer that incorporated it into their products.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Meadows
Re: Kona LHi - CalDigit S2VR crashing
on Oct 31, 2009 at 9:04:59 pm

Bob, once again your quick advice and expertise is greatly appreciated, it truly is, thank you.

Tomorrow I will try your suggestion about running a clip off the system drive. On a G5 Quad this drive has been finicky for quite a while; it mounts, doesn't mount, typically mounts then displays "Initialize, ignore, eject". After we select "ignore" it works just fine on all kinds of SD/HD projects. It is also quite temperamental on start up and shut down.

I anticipated having to wipe it before attempting to use it on this new Intel MacPro but, thought surely I could just move the controller card to the new system, fire it up and go! Ah technology!

Have lots to back up before I can reinitialize it though, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]