FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI Output Cutoff

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Peele
HDMI Output Cutoff
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:49:11 am

Hello
I have two Kona LHi's which are not outputing the entire picture on their HDMI outputs. SDI outputs look fine.

On a Dell WFP2408 monitor it looks like about 21 pixels are missing from both the top and bottom and about 38 pixels off off both sides. The pixels are not getting cut off by the monitor - even in 1:1 mode, a 1280x720 image is cutoff on a 1920x1200 monitor.

On a consumer RCA 42" 1080p LCD, there is a little more picture - only about 15 off top and bottom, 25 left and right.

Based on the fact that 1280x720 Test patterns loaded into the AJA card are cutoff, I am going to say this is independent of FCP. Note that output in FCP has the same issues - SDI is fine, HDMI is cutoff.

Settings? Known problem? Ideas? Some HDMI monitors just do this?

My Machine - OS 10.5.8, AJA 7.0.1, Studio 3, DP QC Xeon Mac's

My HDMI Out settings are:
Primary 720p59.94 (selected)
Secondary 525i29.97
Protocol: Auto Detect (HDMI)
Color Space: Auto Detect (YCbCr 10Bit)
Audio 8 Channels
Output Video Range: SMPTE Range

Thanks for any help!
Mike

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HDMI Output Cutoff
on Oct 30, 2009 at 1:24:29 pm

[Michael Peele] "On a Dell WFP2408 monitor it looks like about 21 pixels are missing from both the top and bottom and about 38 pixels off off both sides. The pixels are not getting cut off by the monitor - even in 1:1 mode, a 1280x720 image is cutoff on a 1920x1200 monitor.
On a consumer RCA 42" 1080p LCD, there is a little more picture - only about 15 off top and bottom, 25 left and right. SDI is fine, HDMI is cutoff. Settings? Known problem? Ideas?
Some HDMI monitors just do this? "

The last line is the Key.

but more so---
What part of using a COMPUTER monitor makes you think that the video output would be correct?

Your computer monitor is fitting(more likely jamming) the HDMI video signal into the PC Display format and resolution and that consumer monitor from RCA is a crap shoot (who made the panel and what resolution REALLY is it).

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Michael Peele
Re: HDMI Output Cutoff
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:10:57 pm

Well I can understand that the color would be off, or that it might try to stretch or compress a signal to fit the screen.

In my situation, the display is cutting off an arbitrary amount of pixels from the signal, then stretching it back out to 1280x720 (it is showing exactly 1280x720 pixels in 1:1 mode).

Just seems odd, especially on a computer monitor with Dual DVI's, HDMI, Displayport, Component and SVideo - you would think it knows how to handle resolutions correctly.

What is the specification that denotes whether a display will show the full image?

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]