FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7.0.1 crashes with AJA Video Output Plug-in

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
FCP 7.0.1 crashes with AJA Video Output Plug-in
on Oct 29, 2009 at 4:14:31 pm

Meant to post this yesterday.

We're getting about 1 crash per day since the 7.0.1 FCP Update.

Video stutters in a 30 frame loop, then FCP disappears.

The "Application Unexpectedly Quit error" contains a reference to the AJA Video Output Plug-in.

It's more of an annoyance than a real problem, but was curious if anyone else is seeing this.

OS 10.5.8 with the Mac Pro 2.93 Nehalem.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Michael Sandness
Re: FCP 7.0.1 crashes with AJA Video Output Plug-in
on Oct 29, 2009 at 4:18:30 pm

I haven't updated yet, but, I had this yesterday. This morning, I uninstalled and re-installed the AJA 7.0 driver. This seems to have solved my issues.

Michael Sandness - Colorist
Splice Here, Minneapolis MN USA

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 29, 2009 at 4:56:46 pm

My first experiences with FCP7/Kona were horrific, and not quite out of the woods yet.
I thought that it was killing my 8-core, and was almost convinced that it had fried the GPU. Most of this eventually boiled down to Snow Leopard and the "desktop" version of Kona3 6.5/7. Installing the NDD version helped a lot. At least it doesn't crash instantly anymore.

The behaviors I saw were non-random crashes that started accelerating until I couldn't run FCP for more than a few seconds at a time whereupon it would freeze. It couldn't sustain a render. I have experienced that whole thing where FCP won't even launch, but I haven't sorted out whether its because it encounters the Kona Drivers which won't hand over control to FCP or just what's going on there, but there are other issues.

I'm getting all kinds of garbage in blanking, right at the start of H-blanking, and if there is any frame-translation going on (conversion in framerate or resolution) then more garbage in the form of green lines in the vertical interval. You need an external scope for most of this since the FCP scopes are blissfully ignorant of anything going on outside of the visible image area.

At this exact second I'm trying to come up to deliverable spec for the National Film Board and it ain't happening. I have now blown a week trying to fix a 9 minute short so it meets their standards. Trying to add Closed Caption is another issue altogether.

All in all I still find it stunning that Apple gets away with classifying this trash as a "Pro" application, but apparently there is no regulation other than constant rejection by the broadcasters. The ones with standards, anyway.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 29, 2009 at 5:02:20 pm

[Joseph Owens] "All in all I still find it stunning that Apple gets away with classifying this trash as a "Pro" application, but apparently there is no regulation other than constant rejection by the broadcasters. The ones with standards, anyway. "

Definitely have not seen that many people happy in the Snow Leopard world, that's one reason why I have not updated to that OS and don't have any immediate plans to do so.

I have found that I'm still running the AJA 6.5 drivers on here so that's probably part of it. I updated the other two systems, apparently didn't get this one updated. Will report back soon.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Oct 30, 2009 at 12:16:41 am

Here in Chicago, I've seen enough snow to not like it anymore - part of the reason I've been more than hesitant to go with adopting a Snow Leopard.
I'm running FCP 7 on a dual duo MacPro Kona3, a 6 month old dual quad MacPro Blackmagic, and an absolutely brand new dual quad MacPro Kona3.

All three machines are on OSX 10.5.6 and the two Kona machines are on Kona 7 drivers. Haven't had one single problem with FCP 7.

The brand new MacPro came with 10.5.6 on it with a promised Snow Leopard disc dropped in the box before shipping. That install disc is quarantined in a file cabinet in the basement where it will remain for now. I just leave some food and water out for it every couple days and change the litter once a week.

I would never torture myself with undergoing an OS and ProApp upgrade at the same time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you don't need it, don't use it.
That's been my experience.

chad
http://www.televersions.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Christopher
on Nov 1, 2009 at 1:18:48 pm

I too recently updated to the dreaded snow, and have found similar issues. We therefore have come up wit this statement.
Snow Leopard - rarely seen by humans, and on the extinction list.

I will be wiping my system and installing 10.5 if I can find a copy.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:26:21 pm

Just to give you guys a heads up... I, too, having been having nightmarish experiences with FCP 7 (now 7.0.1), AJA Kona 3 card, and Leopard 10.5.8.

I've been in contact with AJA about the issues and we did dig up some programming errors that have been (are being) addressed.

An update to the Kona 3 card should be available sometime this week, according to AJA.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:30:08 pm

Yeah, it's continuing to crash here, especially if you have mutliple projects / timelines open.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:43:14 pm

Wait until your project has multiple Motion projects embedded on it. SLOW.....DOWN....

Your projects will almost come to a halt and the infamous beach ball of wait will be your best friend.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:49:48 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Wait until your project has multiple Motion projects embedded on it. SLOW.....DOWN....

Your projects will almost come to a halt and the infamous beach ball of wait will be your best friend. "

I never use this feature as it's never been stable in any of my experiences. We always render out any Motion projects and bring them into FCP with alpha channels. In fact I'm rendering one as I type this.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:14:46 pm

That kinda defeats the purpose of the program. You know, its like writing out your video on the first track so that you can add video on another track after reimporting the first track. Makes it hard to change on the fly as it was intended. LiveType never gave us any fits with this... And neither did Motion until FCP 7 came out.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:38:29 pm

[Wayne Carey] "That kinda defeats the purpose of the program."

Apple does a lot of things that seem to defeat the original purpose......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:12:57 pm

Yeah, I know.... But this one was working up until FCS3 came out.

Let me say that when working with ONLY one Motion file on top of a video clip, its great. Renders fast, easy to work with.... BUT, when you add another Motion file for layering, all bets are OFF. It will take about 10 minutes or more just to render a couple of seconds.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]