FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade to OSX 10.6.1? Upgrade to Kona3 Control Panel 7?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DeViteri
Upgrade to OSX 10.6.1? Upgrade to Kona3 Control Panel 7?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 12:32:22 pm

Have a new project coming in that is forcing a version upgrade of almost all our essential software. We will be upgrading Adobe CS3 to Adobe CS4 on all machines. Also upgrading from Final Cut Studio 2 to Studio 3 during the upgrade.

Should we upgrade the OS to 10.6.1 while doing all of these updates? Is it even worth the hassle?

We absolutely need to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 3 > Final Cut Pro 7.x due to the projects being FCP7 native files. Unfortunately, they will not open in FCP6. There are also AE files that are CS4 native project files. In order to continue working with them, we need to upgrade to CS4.

I am already cloning the system drives to brand new internal SATA drives. At minimum I will be dual-booting the desktops with CS3 / FCS2 on one drive, and CS4 / FCS3 on another drive (for each machine). Should I stick with 10.5.8 on both?

Just have heard horror stories of 10.6.x so far... so I'm a little hesitant.

Also, using Final Cut Studio 3 and Adobe CS4, should I be upgrading to the Kona3 control panel version 7? Should I do this regardless of whether I'm using 10.5.8 or 10.6.1?

I've had issues with the Kona control panel and After Effects in the past - forcing the ImporterAJA (AJA Importer) to bring in footage that just is blocky and looks worse than offline resolution. This would happen no matter how Quicktime saw the footage. Finally figured out how to get rid of the problem > backdate the control panel to version 6.0.1. So are those issues going to creep up again?

Current specs of the two Kona 3 desktops are:

MacPro 2 x 3ghz quad core intel
8 gb ram (667mhz)
OS X 10.5.8 (just recently updated from 10.5.5 in the past 2 weeks)
CalDigit HDPro (6TB in RAID5)
AJA Kona 3 (control panel ver 6.0.1)
Adobe CS3 Master Collection (After Effects 8.0.2)
Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro 6.0.6)
Quicktime ver 7.5.5

MacPro 2 x 3ghz dual core intel
32 gb ram (667mhz)
OS X 10.5.8 (just recently updated from 10.5.5 in the past 2 weeks)
CalDigit HDPro (6TB in RAID5)
AJA Kona 3 (control panel ver 6.0.1)
Adobe CS3 Production Premium (After Effects 8.0.2)
Final Cut Studio 2 (Final Cut Pro 6.0.6)
Quicktime ver 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Upgrade to OSX 10.6.1? Upgrade to Kona3 Control Panel 7?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:47:41 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "Should we upgrade the OS to 10.6.1 while doing all of these updates? Is it even worth the hassle? "

I wouldn't. No.

[Brian DeViteri] "Should I stick with 10.5.8 on both? "

I would, yes.

[Brian DeViteri] "Also, using Final Cut Studio 3 and Adobe CS4, should I be upgrading to the Kona3 control panel version 7? Should I do this regardless of whether I'm using 10.5.8 or 10.6.1? "

Yep.

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 5:57:13 pm

what about the issues with importing footage into AE and the Kona3 control panel version 7? do they persist with CS4?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:02:43 pm

If you are referring to the CS4 drivers from AJA, I don't use those as I couldn't get them to work properly.

I just use the Kona as the video output of the AE prefs.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:12:36 pm

do you need to install the Kona3 control panel for your useage?

I have the Kona3 control panel installed. When I install the control panel (ver 6.0.1 or ver 7.x) it changes the Adobe After Effects CS3 media importer from "Quicktime" (or similar) to "ImporterAJA" - this is where the problem had lied for me in the past with the new control panel...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:19:38 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "do you need to install the Kona3 control panel for your useage? "

I install the FCP drivers which does install the Kona control panel, yes.

[Brian DeViteri] "Adobe After Effects CS3 media importer from "Quicktime" (or similar) to "ImporterAJA" - this is where the problem had lied for me in the past with the new control panel... "

Sorry, I am missing it. What is the AECS3 media importer?

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:33:04 pm

the first time I saw it I wondered the same thing...

In AE CS3, when you import media/footage (File > Import File > select any video file) the format turns to "ImporterAJA" if you have the Kona3 and control panel installed. This "ImporterAJA" has caused major issues with any video files in CS3 when using drivers newer than 6.0.1. With 7.x installed, the video turns to a bunch of blocks - and I've singled it out to this "ImporterAJA" issue. Backdating the drivers to 6.0.1 fixed it...

We sent a project off to someone once and included the AJA effects for AE with it. After they were installed on the machine (a non-Kona machine) they had the same issue. (They don't work without the Kona3 hardware, but they wanted to reference the effects...)

I replicated the issue on my laptop and found a file called "ImporterAJA.bundle" in the folder:
Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Common > Plug-ins > CS3 > MediaCore > AJA

If you delete this file (on a non-Kona3 machine) it fixes the importing issues. I have not deleted it on any of the Kona3 machines since they "work fine" with it installed, under the 6.0.1 drivers/control panel.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:48:29 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "In AE CS3, when you import media/footage (File > Import File > select any video file) the format turns to "ImporterAJA" if you have the Kona3 and control panel installed."

I have NEVER had this happen. I don't even know how you get this to happen. Again, I've been running AE and Kona together for years. When I do File > Import File the files go directly into my project. No "ImporterAJA" nothing like that comes up. We have 3 workstations all set up with Kona 3's. None of them do this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:04:25 pm

Have you installed the AJA Kona3 control panel? I'm using version 6.0.1 - this seems to be the only one that works fine...

The "ImporterAJA" is the default when importing video into AE. When you drag video in, it imports using the same "ImporterAJA".

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:10:24 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "Have you installed the AJA Kona3 control panel? I'm using version 6.0.1 - this seems to be the only one that works fine... "

Of course we have the control panel, can't work in Final Cut Pro without it. You need the control panel to set up the card for inputs, conversion, etc.... We've always run the control panel on every single workstation.

[Brian DeViteri] "The "ImporterAJA" is the default when importing video into AE. When you drag video in, it imports using the same "ImporterAJA". "

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. File > Import files > Select the video files on the hard drive, they pop right into AE.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:16:53 pm

Here's a screen shot of where the "ImporterAJA" appears when importing a standard 720p DVCPRO HD Quicktime Movie under Adobe CS3 with AJA Kona3 and control panel 6.0.1 installed.

Under 6.0.1 the footage imported into AE is pristine and clean.

Under 7.x the footage imported into AE looks like an offline, blocky mess.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:19:32 pm

What I think you need to do is uninstall the CS3 plugins and install the CS4 plugins.

You need the 6.5 Kona drivers, not the Kona v7 drivers.

Have a look here down at the utilities and options:

http://www.aja.com/support/kona/kona-3-3x.php

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:23:14 pm

My original plan was to do a "clean install" of 10.5.8 then FCS3 and CS4, but time constraints will not let that happen... so I have to clone the drive and then upgrade the new drive.

I'll install CS4 and then Kona3 version 7 and just HOPE I don't get those same issues. Will let everyone know how it goes...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:37:21 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "I'll install CS4 and then Kona3 version 7 and just HOPE I don't get those same issues. Will let everyone know how it goes... "

It says very clearly on the AJA website to use the v6.5 drivers if you are going to use the CS4 plugins. I would install the v6.5 drivers and then the AJA plug-ins.

Don't go to 7, sorry I was wrong before as I didn't know what you meant. If you have installed 7, simply uninstall 7 and reinstall 6.5. the v6.5 drivers work with FCS3.

Drivers:

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_Kona3_6.5.zip

CS4 Plug-ins:

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_Adobe_Mac_6.5.0.mpkg.zip

jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:44:18 pm

I have not yet installed the Kona drivers for CS4, so thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it. Nothing has been downloaded from AJA for the upgrades yet either, so hopefully I might have caught that at some point. Unfortunately, I haven't even gotten around to starting the install on that system yet - ahh, another really long day...

I would just forgo installing the plug-ins all together, but we've used the AJA color tools quite a bit in the past (they work great by the way) and not having them available may be an issue when it comes to opening archived projects.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:28:20 pm

Nope, don't use that option, never have. Everything imports as a standard Quicktime Movie using the native codec. Here's what it looks like on my system.

Not sure why you would ever use that AJA Importer option.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:45:26 pm

From what I'm gathering, apparently it was installed when the AE plugins were installed - if I had the option, the "ImporterAJA" would not have have been installed...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 22, 2009 at 7:16:29 pm

Brian-

I think I have it figured out now. You are talking about the spearate AJA CS3 and CS4 drivers. The control panel as we all know it is the actual control panel for the card, which looks like this:

What you are talking about are what is referred to the AJA Mac Plugins for CS3 (or CS4). As I said, I don't use those as I have never really liked how they behaved with AE. I just use the Kona card in the video output of the AE preferences.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:29:21 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "I've had issues with the Kona control panel and After Effects in the past - forcing the ImporterAJA (AJA Importer) to bring in footage that just is blocky and looks worse than offline resolution. This would happen no matter how Quicktime saw the footage. Finally figured out how to get rid of the problem > backdate the control panel to version 6.0.1. So are those issues going to creep up again? "

What is this? I have never had an issue importing footage with After Effects, no matter the version, in the 4 years or so I've been using the AJA Kona products. I don't understand what the AJA has to do with importing footage for After Effects.

I just import media off the hard drives directly into After Effects. The Kona has nothing to do with importing footage into AE.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 22, 2009 at 6:35:13 pm

Walter - see the post above: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/874947

I never had any issues either, until I ran into the "ImporterAJA" issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]