FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit to tape issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzy Shaw
Edit to tape issues
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:44:25 pm

I am trying to master to Digital Beta and just can't seem to get it to work. I've done this many times with other formats without problems.

Here's my equipment:
4 x 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5
OS 10.4.11
AJA KONA LH w/control panel 5.1
SONY DVW-250 Digital Betacam deck
FCP 6.0.6

My device settings are:
Device Control: AJA Kona LH NTSC SONY VTR
Capture/Input: AJA Kona LH: 252 29.97 Apple ProRes

I have tried this 2 different ways unsuccessfully.
Method #1:
I laid in 1 minute of control track using Black & Code starting at 00:58:00:00
I set up the master settings, set my TC in to 00:58:30:00 and drug the sequence to the Assemble window. The deck backed up and went into record, but the TC jumped to 01:00:00:00 when it went into record. I let it run and finished editing but my TC jumps and doesn't match the sequence. All the audio and video are there, it just has a TC issue.

Method #2:
I blackened the whole tape using Black & Code
Created a new sequence with my B & T, slate, sequence etc.
Set my TC in to 00:58:30:00, In and out on sequence and used the Editing/Insert function.
Now the backs the recorder up to record, syncs and recorder goes into Play and Cue Dub, but there's no audio and video. The output window on FCP shows my sequence but it's not going to tape.

Either way doesn't make any sense to me...how with Method 1 the TC jumps and Method 2 now I've lost my audio/video.

Any thoughts?

Producer/Editor
SOBO Productions

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Edit to tape issues
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:16:09 pm

[Suzy Shaw] "I am trying to master to Digital Beta and just can't seem to get it to work. I've done this many times with other formats without problems. "

Use the correct Easy setup for your format- it sounds as if you changed some of the setting without changing all of the required parameters.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Edit to tape issues
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:55:14 pm

Method 2 I can't explain - but method 1 should work if after you stripe a bit to get to 00:58:30:00 you remember to set the recorder to TC Gen Internal and Regenerate. I have a DVW-A500 and these are switches on the deck. This will tell the timecode generator in the deck to jam sync to the timecode on tape. When you perform assemble edit, it will now look to the tape timecode and continue TC at the in point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]