FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading Procedure Help

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Goldstein
Upgrading Procedure Help
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:27:43 pm

Hey All,

I am doing a major upgrade to my edit system this weekend and am trying to think through the best order of operations.

Currently I have a Circa2006 Mac Pro Quad Xeon running FCS 2.0 on Leopard with an AJA IO box.

I am migrating it to FCS 3.0, Snow Leopard with an AJA Kona LHi.

I guess I should run the PROio Uninstaller first. But beyond that my gut says: 1. FCS, 2. OS, 3. Kona. But I have no real good rationale for that.

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks,
Sam

MacPro 2x2.66Mhz, 8GB Ram, LaCie QUADRA, AJA IO

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Upgrading Procedure Help
on Oct 1, 2009 at 6:58:56 pm

Instal the OS first, and do all updates. Restart.

Install FCS second and launch the program, then quit.

Install the AJA LHi software and run any frimware updates with the proper restart techniques (you will be guided/warned on what to do).

Edit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sam Goldstein
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:19:27 am

Thanks Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 3, 2009 at 4:19:40 pm

Hi Sam -
to be clear, when you install your new OS, choose options, and choose ERASE INTALL - that's right - you are going to ERASE everythign on your internal hard drive. This is called a CLEAN install. "But no, I have important data, that I can't lose - and I don't have any way of backing it up" - or - "but I have plug in's and programs on there, that I don't have the disks for anymore".

You want this to work, and not have to write back - do a CLEAN install.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Oct 4, 2009 at 5:40:51 am

Again the lucky one I guess, I just did the regular upgrade path on my new Nehalem and have had no issues except a Magic Bullet plug-in that hosed FCP 7 until I got the updated software. That and waiting for the G-Raid Esata driver for Snow Leopard are the only issues I have experienced with upgrading to Snow Leopard. A few older programs needed Rosetta to be installed to work, but overall a seamless transition without having to go through a week of re-installing 100 programs and plug-ins and entering 20 digit unlock codes! I have never done a "clean install" when upgrading on 6 machines and several OS upgrades!

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Nehalem Octocore 12 GB Ram, Nvidia card, MBP, MXO, MXO2 mini, Windows Vista Adobe Studio CS4, Vegas 9.0, Lightwave 9.6, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 7, Continuum 6, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Sam Goldstein
on Oct 4, 2009 at 10:32:03 pm

Ok, I was sending the composite out from the IO to a beta deck's Ref In. The kona lhi cannot simultaneously do component and composite, so I am ha ing trouble getting the deck to sync.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking for a cheap sync generator on eBay, but I'm wondering if I can use the IO standalone to generate ref into the kona lhi and subsequently to the uvw1800.

MacPro 2x2.66Mhz, 8GB Ram, LaCie QUADRA, AJA IO

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Oct 5, 2009 at 12:28:16 pm

Start a new post
click the link "ADD A New Post"

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index