FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom Capture and Sequence Preset

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Curry
Custom Capture and Sequence Preset
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:27:07 pm

Hi, I'm looking to transcode videos of countless formats (SD, HD, PAL, etc) to a single format in order to conform for a large LED display of resolution 448x336. Can I create an Uncompressed or ProRes 448x336 square pixel Preset for Kona3 capture and edit? I'll be letterboxing 16x9 footage and leaving 4:3 as 4:3. Also, some videos I receive will be files instead of tape. Is there a way to ingest files into a Kona3 system?

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
Re: Custom Capture and Sequence Preset
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:59:49 pm

Also the resolution still to be finalized - may be 1024x768.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:52:09 pm

[Mark Curry] "Also the resolution still to be finalized - may be 1024x768. "

OK
first off this are not video resolutions nor video dimensions so some info is needed maybe you should explain what is is you are doing since this sounds as if you are doing mobile content not for video playback.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:36:46 am

Hi gary,
Right these are decidedly not standard video resolutions. I'm conforming various standard resolutions from tapes and files (NTSC, PAL, HDV, etc.) to a resolution that matches a large LED screen (aka Jumbotron - outdoor screen). The LED screen hasn't been finalized, but they are general pretty low resolution and are not standard video resolutions. The current screen candidate for instance is 448 x 336. I'd like to take advantage of hardware's superior speed, ease and reliability (versus software transcoding). So, I'm hoping the Kona supports weird dialed-in custom frame size capture settings. The Kona 3 manual discussed creating custom presets, but I don't know as I'm looking to rent a post-production house.

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:02:44 am

^ bump : )

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:11:29 am

Anyone??

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:24:41 pm

mark

I eluded to this, but did not state it completely.

Your FCP/ Kona combo does not support anything other than standard video rasters and frame rates for playback and capture.

Adobe After Effects can and does support any variety of frame size and pixel ratios that FCP does not.

capture all your as needed then use AE to frame correctly for delivery.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:20:52 pm

Rats. I expected this would be the case. This means a lot of software transcoding then - a lot of time.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:33:23 pm

[Mark Curry] "Rats. I expected this would be the case. This means a lot of software transcoding then - a lot of time."

not necessarily

capture and edit as needed in FCP.

run the final output file as a QT REF movie- drop into the AE file with settings- scale as needed then output a single file from AE to what ever your final rez is.

then it is only one render to deliver the file.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:37:37 pm

Yes, but multiplied by the hundreds of files I'm converting, it becomes considerable. I'll probably use Apple Compressor to do the conversion.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:54:04 pm

[Mark Curry] "Yes, but multiplied by the hundreds of files I'm converting, it becomes considerable. I'll probably use Apple Compressor to do the conversion.
"

not really.

look treat all of the video as video- use the kona card to capture the variety of formats into a common editing format- HD, SD can be converted at the point of capture to what ever your editing master is going to be the PAL needs to be done separately because of the frame rate.

Trying to do all of this on the timeline in FCP will result in a debilitatingly slow computer. Capture and create in a standard Raster and frame rate and conform everything to fit those settings and your edit will go much much faster. SO make it easier on yourself- do as much of the conversions in hardware when you ingest- then there will be less rendering, less hassles and a faster edit, with a simpler output.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Oct 5, 2009 at 5:12:16 pm

Believe me, I would never attempt to do all the conversion in FCP. I most definitely understand the benefit of hardware such as the Kona. In fact as mentioned I would like to avoid software altogether and capture to 448x336 and be done. I'm not really doing any editing - just transcoding. Transcoding in software to 448x336 from a standard resolution will add considerable time, but I didn't really expect to capture directly to 448x336.

Can the Kona 3 capture PAL SD as NTSC SD? Again, not having to run PAL>NTSC conversions through software will be a big time saver.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 5, 2009 at 5:23:22 pm

[Mark Curry] "In fact as mentioned I would like to avoid software altogether and capture to 448x336 and be done."

again- it cannot be done in FCP as it is not a standard video frame,

I would suggest looking into Telestream's Episode for the transcoding engine, Compressor is not good at odd sizes either.

[Mark Curry] "Can the Kona 3 capture PAL SD as NTSC SD? Again, not having to run PAL>NTSC conversions through software will be a big time saver."

No it does not do frame rate conversion - that is really heavy lifting - look into teranex's vc100 for that.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Mark Curry
on Oct 5, 2009 at 5:40:14 pm

Thanks Gary,
Yes I'm not surprised I can't capture to a non-standard size. I'll give Episode a try especially in light of this specific advantage over Compressor. I've used the Teranex before for standards conversion and am not surprised it will be called on again. What software do you recommend for the formats conversion for those works that I receive that are files instead of tape media? Do yo find Episode or Compressor to give acceptable results with PAL>NTSC format conversion?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]