FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe and Snow Leopard upgrade issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Achilles
Kona LHe and Snow Leopard upgrade issues
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:38:21 pm

Hello,
I just did a clean install of Snow Leopard and FCS 3 and I am now having some issues with my Kona LHe card. The output of the card is out of phase (both SDI and Component outputs)and also the image is 'tearing' and 'staticky'....test pattern looks bad too.

I have now downconverted to AJA Kona control panel version 7.0 NDD...and the problem still exists. Any ideas?

OS 10.6.1, FCS 3, Aja Kona LHe, 2.66 ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona LHe and Snow Leopard upgrade issues
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:59:52 pm

Did you use the aja uninstaller? 7.0 is the latest, so I don't see how you 'downconverted' your drivers. Use the uninstaller and try again.

Return to posts index

David Achilles
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:24:35 am

I booted in safe mode (shift key at boot up) and ran the uninstaller for 7.0 and then installed 7.0 NDD. I still have the problem. I can get good looking video with 1080i SDI, but every other setting, including the component output has phase issues and tearing lines...sometimes the Kona Control Panel options for changing the primary format are grayed out....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:21:48 am

Call AJA.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:46:36 am

I wish I had an answer for you. I did the same thing, Fresh install of SL & FCS3 with the AJA 6.5 NDD drivers. Working fine so far.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:49:30 am

[David Achilles] "I have now downconverted to AJA Kona control panel version 7.0 NDD...and the problem still exists. Any ideas?"

downgrade the firmware on the cards also.

If you mistakenly installed the 7.01 drivers for the LHI card - you overrode the base firmware that has to now be reset.

Since when do you go into safe boot to install a driver? - in Safe Mode the correct hardware monitoring cannot be properly installed- do not do that in OS 10x- the drivers need to see the hardware they are installing for to allocate the correct resources during install.

And Call AJA.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

David Achilles
on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:41:28 pm

I did not do a firmware upgrade for the LHe. Might that be part of my problem?

And I only un-installed software in safe mode...not install.

And Dave Jenkins: I noticed in your post that you are using 6.5 version of the Kona Control Panel. My next step is to uninstall 7.0 NDD and try 6.5.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:08:22 pm

[David Achilles] "I did not do a firmware upgrade for the LHe. Might that be part of my problem?
And I only un-installed software in safe mode...not install. "

I always Reflash the firmware to be safe when rolling a driver backwards.

Unistall in "Safe Mode" jeez why?
Whomever told you to do this should be whipped with a frayed SCSI cable within an inch of their IT credentials.

While that may have been a process at one time that is NOT RECOMMENDED by me for any type of install under OSX , by turning off all of the 3rd party stuff the installers do not know what should be kept and is not being used. The AJA installers need to see the hardware to properly determine what your specific hardware needs.

The Current generation of installers for OSX are smarter than the windows counterparts and really do need to read all of the .kext (the new extensions) and prefs, in addition to the hardware that is installed to do a complete and correct install for that piece of hardware. Turning off all 3rd party stuff may result in the uninstall not removing the plist and other pref files since they are not active during the removal process.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:12:14 pm

[gary adcock] "Unistall in "Safe Mode" jeez why? "

If your computer is booting normally, I agree. But if your computer is not booting normally after a Kona install (say you installed the regular but really needed the (woops) NDD), then safe mode is the only way without tearing open the machine. You can uninstall the drivers in safe mode, then reboot to get the machine up and running at least.

David Achilles, you need version 7 for Snow Leopard. Make sure you donwload the correct drivers for the LHe, and not any other card, as Gary has mentioned.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:26:40 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If your computer is booting normally, I agree. But if your computer is not booting normally after a Kona install (say you installed the regular but really needed the (woops) NDD), then safe mode is the only way without tearing open the machine."

Yes -if you pooched your computer by incorrectly installing something, but that was not the case with Kevin, he had some V-out and the computer was booting up.

There are files that are not removed with some un/ installers if they are not currently active when the process starts- it's one thing when when the machine will not boot, its a totally different issue when
it is partially functioning 3rd party toys.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

David Achilles
on Sep 30, 2009 at 7:00:54 pm

Gary -
Where have you found the firmware for the KONA LHe card? I have looked on the AJA site and can find the control panel software and drivers, but not firmware to download...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2009 at 7:03:13 pm

It's in your Applications > AJA Utilities folder. The app gets installed with your drivers.

if it's not in there, there's no upgrade to be done for the LHe.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Achilles
on Sep 30, 2009 at 7:32:27 pm

Jeremy,
I'm still trying to troubleshoot my problem, but now I am seeing an additional problem I want to tell you about in case you have heard of a fix...

I am getting dropped frame errors after about 30 minutes of editing within FCP. If I open another timeline, dropped frame errors go away until about 30 minutes later, then start erroring out again.

Exiting FCP clears it up...then 30 minutes later...more dropped frames... any more ideas? I am running a Medea RAID system on a ATTO Tech card - UL5d.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:51:32 pm

David A.
since you are having multiple issues, Stop!! you are chasing ghosts, fix one problem at a time or you will never know what is going on or what fixed it.

Lets go back to the VERY beginning.

You are Running Snow Leopard correct?

On what computer?

How are the LHe and the 5uld SCSI card installed (the order with the graphics card in slot 1)

Why are you running SCSI in Snow? AND please tell us that you are NOT trying to run as 64bit on your OS or the Atto Driver?

What is the exact nature of the LHE problems

Still concerned from this line in your first post.
< I > I have now downconverted to AJA Kona control panel version 7.0 NDD...and the problem still exists. Any ideas? < /I >

IF you incorrectly updated the using the LHI v7.01 software - the only version with a greater release number than 7.0 - the card would have prompted you to update the firmware.

As Jeremy said, if it is there it is in the Applications > AJA Utilities > Kona Firmware updater would be in there if it was available, IF YOU RAN THE WRONG Card SOFTWARE there is no way to return the card back to a normal working state in Snow Leopard.

and tell us you have stopped trying to use SAFE BOOT during uninstalls.

Now make a list of ALL of these steps and then call AJA tech support.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

David Achilles
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:13:17 pm

Not sure how to quote from other posts, but here are the answers:

You are Running Snow Leopard correct?
YES Ver.10.6.1

On what computer?
MacPro 2.6Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon with 4gb ram

How are the LHe and the 5uld SCSI card installed (the order with the graphics card in slot 1)
LHe is in slot 3 at 4x and the UL5d is in slot 4 at 4x.

Why are you running SCSI in Snow? AND please tell us that you are NOT trying to run as 64bit on your OS or the Atto Driver?
How can I tell if the ATTO Driver is running at 64bit? And I am running SCSI because...it worked with OSX 10.5

What is the exact nature of the LHE problems?
Tearing and static in the SDI video feed, almost like Blackberry Cellular interferance, but its not...and now after about 30 minutes of editing, dropped frames that keep the system from playing. When I go in and change the "safe" and "Dynamic" playback modes, it allows for more editing again. My phase problems mentioned in my first post are gone as of this morning.

Still concerned from this line in your first post.
< I > I have now downconverted to AJA Kona control panel version 7.0 NDD...and the problem still exists. Any ideas? < /I >

IF you incorrectly updated the using the LHI v7.01 software - the only version with a greater release number than 7.0 - the card would have prompted you to update the firmware.
I have only installed 7.0 for the LHe, I have not installed any software for the LHi.

As Jeremy said, if it is there it is in the Applications > AJA Utilities > Kona Firmware updater would be in there if it was available, IF YOU RAN THE WRONG Card SOFTWARE there is no way to return the card back to a normal working state in Snow Leopard.
no worries here. No firmware update in AJA folder

and tell us you have stopped trying to use SAFE BOOT during uninstalls.
I have stopped. I repent. :)

Now make a list of ALL of these steps and then call AJA tech support.
OK, now I will call...

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:35:59 pm

We have upgraded to the 7.0 NDD drivers and are still okay.

And Dave Jenkins: I noticed in your post that you are using 6.5 version of the Kona Control Panel. My next step is to uninstall 7.0 NDD and try 6.5.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.8GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.6 QT 10

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]