FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Boot bad for Kona?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Curtis
Dual Boot bad for Kona?
on Sep 20, 2009 at 5:57:35 pm

I've got two HDs in my MP. One has my relatively stable install of 10.5.5 running FCS2, and the 1.1.1 NDD version of the Kona CP.

The other drive has 10.6.1 with FCS3 and 7.0.1 of the Kona CP.

I'd like to be able to boot this drive occasionally to test the stability of it all together, but there's what looks like a real issue:

When I've been running 10.5.5, and I boot into 10.6.1, the AJA Kona Updater launches, and wants me to update the firmware before I can access the Kona card. I do this and it seems to work fine with FCP, etc.

However, when I boot back into 10.5.5, the LHi isn't recognized at all, and I have to take the cover off my Mac Pro, reboot and reset the card when booting (by holding the reset button on the PCI card), and then update the firmware (actually, probably a down-date) before I can use the LHi again with 10.5.5.

Can this be bad for the LHi... Resetting the firmware several times a day or week or month?

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro (Harpertown-Early 2008) 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; 10.5.6; QT 7.5.5; FCS2 / FCP 6.0.5; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3; Primary display: 30" ACD; Secondary: HP LP2480zx DreamColor via HDMI to LHi and DVI to MacPro.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Dual Boot bad for Kona?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:18:30 am

for testing once or twice you can make it work but in the heat of battle something may go awry.
doesn't seem like good practice to me. I would prohibit anyone doing that to my box.
not an informed opinion but an old guy point of view

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
Re: Dual Boot bad for Kona?
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:53:40 pm

Epilog: I decided that trying to work with SnowLeopard is a bad idea. It's just too new, and not all my software is going to work on it (Adobe CS3 is a must.). So, I think the wise course is just to avoid booting into 10.6 for any NLE or MoGFX work.

BTW, I upgraded my 10.5 OS to 10.5.8 and the Kona CP to 7.0.1, and I no longer get the Firmware update message when I boot 10.6, which I only do when I want to run DiskWarrior on my 10.5.8 drive.

So, to the point of my OP, the solution was not to mix 10.5.5 with 10.6.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro (Harpertown-Early 2008) 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; 10.5.8; QT 7.6.4; FCS3; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3; Primary display: 30" ACD; Secondary: HP LP2480zx DreamColor via HDMI to LHi and DVI to MacPro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]