FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 /Kona supports Closed VANCCaption?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Owens
FCP7 /Kona supports Closed VANCCaption?
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:45:42 pm

Does it really?

It's what we're led to believe, but...????? Has anyone actually successfully done this?
Seems like its not quite as simple as "drop the .scc file in the slot and press record".
All the CPC tutorials would have you filter everything through MacCaption to properly format a Quicktime ref file. There is no evidence that a scenarist-formatted file will work on its own. And I don't think they do. In SD, you get a line of dashes plus garbage at the top of the screen (is this a CC3 issue?).
In HD, well, of course that's not 708, so don't expect anything unless you re-format (through MacCaption)...

Leaving out the timecode/sync issues... that would be for another week's worth of posts.

Supremely frustrated.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP7 /Kona supports Closed VANCCaption?
on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:24:04 pm

[Joseph Owens] "It's what we're led to believe, but...????? Has anyone actually successfully done this?
Seems like its not quite as simple as "drop the .scc file in the slot and press record". "

It should work with scc files, but like you said, it has to be formatted correctly though captioning software that selects 708 and line 21 for HD, then you select the file in the Closed Caption setting in the Mastering Settings tab of the Edit to Tape window. No, I have not done this, but know a dub house in the area that does. CPC has done major major research and development for this. You should contact them, they are very nice over there. Are the captions coming straight from Scenarist?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:34:13 pm

Are the captions coming straight from Scenarist?

More or less... the scc file was not composed in MacCaption, it was done by a post house that has been captioning with a hardware solution up to this point -- but the business model is in the process of relocating, shall we say.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 17, 2009 at 7:37:36 pm

I think it would have to depend on how the scc file was formatted out of Scenarist.

At that point, you just add it to the ETT.

The facility I know uses CPC (macCaption).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:50:17 am

Is this SCC file from a standard def DVD project?
If so it does need to be reformatted for 708 captions
we still do SD CC using a QT from CPC software so called black file but have not gone to FCP7 yet on a workstation so this approach works on the DS and FCP stations and the HD (708) side via Matrox MXO2 on another FCP station

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:36:34 pm

From Apple's white paper "Handling Closed Captioning"

Scenarist files are always CEA-608 encoded. This means that if you output a program with a Scenarist-formatted closed captioning file to an HD tape format, Final Cut Pro outputs CEA-708 closed captioning that "carries" CEA-608-formatted closed captioning (supported by QuickTime 7.6 and later).

Of course this is some kind of legal statement, and doesn't say anything at all about whether the approach will generate anything like a useable result.... which it apparently doesn't, at least when attempted in an average environment.

However, you can use a third-party utility (such as CPC MacCaption) to reformat CEA-608 closed captioning as true CEA-708-encoded closed captioning, saving the result as a QuickTime closed captioning track that you can use for output instead.

Translation: Buy more software and it will finally work.... maybe.

In the sub-paragraph "Outputting Video with Closed Captioning Using Final Cut Pro", I find the italicized portion of the following statement to be either blatantly false, misleading, or mistaken:

When outputting to tape, either CEA-608 or CEA-708 closed captioning can be encoded to the video stream being output using the Closed Captions controls in the Print to Video and Edit to
Tape windows. Select "Insert closed captioning data from file," click the Choose File button, and choose one of the following:
* A Scenarist-formatted file (with an .scc extension)

* A QuickTime file with a closed captioning track

I would dearly love to be corrected in my belief. My conclusion, after wasting a considerable amount of time trying to get this to work, is that FCP will only support closed captioning in conjunction with third-party software conditioning and not stand-alone in any way.

jPo

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:42:59 pm

[Joseph Owens] "My conclusion, after wasting a considerable amount of time trying to get this to work, is that FCP will only support closed captioning in conjunction with third-party software conditioning and not stand-alone in any way. "

Yes, but CC has never really been supported in FCP until now. At least you can do it. Will you need more software? Why yes you will. I know I have said this, but CPC are good folks. They have HD CC figured out pretty well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

giovanni galvez
on Sep 21, 2009 at 7:58:46 pm

I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that HD captioning work from FCP7 and the Kona card.

Also, it's not really necessary to buy new software. Just go with a caption service company that has MacCaption. This 708 CC track is e-mailable just like the SCC file.

I know of a lot of companies who have MacCaption. As someone needing the 708 CC track I suggest asking caption service companies and post houses to e-mail this 708 CC track instead of the SCC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]