FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona3 and 1440x1080 issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Kona3 and 1440x1080 issue
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:18:32 pm

Hey gang...

I have an issue that I thought I would post here. I've been in contact with AJA and have no response to this issue. So here it is...

I have updated to FCS3 and updated my Kona3 drivers to 7.0. I have a project that was captured and started in FCP 6.0.6. I made a copy of the project so that I could try out FCP 7.

We use a mixture of XDCAM HD 30p and HDV 30p. In order to save time on capturing and not wanting to deal with editing HDV, we use the HDV-ProRes conversion. This creates a ProRes files that is 1440x1080. Normally, ProRes is 1920x1080. We do this because ProRes and XDCAM are compatible when editing. When I say compatible, I mean that Apple has allowed to to work in XDCAM HD and render anything that needs rendering in ProRes.

Ok...

When you add your first clip, whether, its XDCAM HD or ProRes, FCP asks to set your sequence to this clip's properties. That's OK.

Now, when you start to edit, we noticed that our broadcast monitor's image was shifted downward about a inch on our Panasonic BT-LH2600W monitor.

Now....

If I go back and create a sequence that is ProRes422 at 1920x 1080 and start editing, everything is fine BUT I have to render EVERYTHING!

You see my issue.

Also, If I want to look at an XDCAM HD 1080p30 file inside of AJA TV (for client viewing purposes), then I get a green noise screen on my monitor and the audio. If my video file is anything else, its fine.

The real issue seems that the Kona3 card does not handle 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 conversion very well at all, especially at 30p.

SO......

My only solution has been to log and capture everything into one codec that is NOT 1440x1080. This is a real pain and adds alot to my edit times since logging tapes and discs can be lengthy.

Any ideas? Gary? Bob?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona3 and 1440x1080 issue
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:22:16 pm

[Wayne Carey] "If I go back and create a sequence that is ProRes422 at 1920x 1080 and start editing, everything is fine BUT I have to render EVERYTHING! "

That's the big problem with the HDV Firewire to ProRes transfer. We've discussed this before on the Cow and all of us have suggested you switch to Kona for ProRes ingest. You lose the Start / Stop detection, but you get out of this anamorphic ProRes issue.

You shouldn't have to render everything as you edit though, you should be able to edit in realtime dynamic RT and then just render at the end of your edit.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Kona3 and 1440x1080 issue
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:40:23 pm

[walter biscardi] "That's the big problem with the HDV Firewire to ProRes transfer. We've discussed this before on the Cow and all of us have suggested you switch to Kona for ProRes ingest. You lose the Start / Stop detection, but you get out of this anamorphic ProRes issue. "

Yes, Walter, you are absolutely correct and I agree whole-heartedly. BUT why is it that Apple gave us this option (maybe not knowing this issue) and it doesn't work properly and was not fixed in FCP7?

That's my question here.

[walter biscardi] "You shouldn't have to render everything as you edit though, you should be able to edit in realtime dynamic RT and then just render at the end of your edit. "

I am well aware of this and this is what we do. But the fact remains that you have to render everything, not just those clips affected by filters and graphics.

It looks to me that Apple has goofed on this or like I said maybe they didn't know or didn't test this out properly.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]