FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captions workflow help

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Bishop
Closed Captions workflow help
on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:20:51 pm

I am trying to figure out a workflow dealing with closed captions. I posted this in the Kona forum because technically, I don't need to use FCP for this, and it doesn't support the format I want to use anyway (23.98PsF).

I am tying to capture 444 HDCAM-SR masters with closed captioning data. According to my testing, FCP does not retain captioning data with this format. I also can't output 23.98PsF material with captions because FCP doesn't support this frame rate at this time.

Is there a way I can downconvert the HDCAM-SR material to DigiBeta and retain the CC info? This way, I could probably capture the DigiBeta with the CC data. I am still working on this, however my vectorscope isn't seeing any CC data on line 21 of the Digi when I do an SD downconversion.

I have been talking with AJA some about captions, and CPC (Mac Caption folks) and also Apple (although they are no help) but this workflow is so new there are many unanswered questions and software that needs to be updated.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Closed Captions workflow help
on Sep 11, 2009 at 5:29:23 am

[Duke Bishop] " I don't need to use FCP for this, and it doesn't support the format I want to use anyway (23.98PsF). "

This is a totally false assumption. FCP does indeed support 1080PsF 23.98 as do all of the Kona Products.

[Duke Bishop] "I am tying to capture 444 HDCAM-SR masters with closed captioning data."
Ok
Lets start with HOW are you capturing?
single or dual link?

Where did the SR master come from and are you sure that the CC data is there ( is it on your scopes)

[Duke Bishop] "Is there a way I can downconvert the HDCAM-SR material to DigiBeta and retain the CC info? "

Yes but the CC info is not in the same place in HD as it is in SD, the CurrentKona Driver does have the ability to move the CCinfo to the proper location, but I prefer to do as part of the signal path and not as part of the capture.

CPC has this link on their website.http://www.cpcweb.com/hdtv/aja.htm

as a note discussions captioning in FCP 6 need to be looked at again do to the many changes in FCP7

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Duke Bishop
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:35:44 am

"This is a totally false assumption. FCP does indeed support 1080PsF 23.98 as do all of the Kona Products. "

I meant for the use of CC. Of course 23.98PsF works fine otherwise.

"single or dual link?"

Dual Link. I didn't know you can even capture 444 single link.

"Where did the SR master come from and are you sure that the CC data is there ( is it on your scopes)"

They came from a post house. I am not sure since I don't have any HD scopes (we are in the process of upgrading). But they tell me they are on there. For whatever that is worth.

"Yes but the CC info is not in the same place in HD as it is in SD, the CurrentKona Driver does have the ability to move the CCinfo to the proper location, but I prefer to do as part of the signal path and not as part of the capture."

I believe I was told by AJA that CC info will be lost during any conversion. Also, Sony said today that a DigiBeta downconversion will not retain CC info.

I have read a lot of stuff on the CPC website. They have been the most knowledgeable and helpful so far.

I need some HD scopes and a monitor capable of displaying CC's. But that won't help me capture 444 material and creating a small quicktime for review.

Also, check out your signature. That discussion has been removed.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 11, 2009 at 4:31:39 pm

[Duke Bishop] "I meant for the use of CC. Of course 23.98PsF works fine otherwise.
"

OK
that is correct thats because there is no support for 23.98 CC in FCP, it is not a Aja only issue as far as I know.

Something about it not being a broadcast standard (even though it is listed as a SMPTE spec, I do not know of nay broadcaster that is delivering 23.98 over the air.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:40:13 pm

Hello Duke,
As Gary said, FCP7's closed captioning workflows have only been tested for 1080i/720p 59.94 so far, which is what DTV broadcasts are delivered at (as far as I know, you cannot broadcast native 24p). Native 24p/Psf was never really intended to work on the delivery side where closed captioning comes into play.

That being said, there are always alternatives. If you would like to discuss some alternate workflows for your situation, please give CPC a call.

Hope this helps,

Jason Livingston
CPC

Return to posts index

Duke Bishop
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:28:45 pm

CPC folks have been very helpful so far, but we need to be able to capture dual link 444 and retain captioning data.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]