Matrox MX02 Vs AJA LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike faulkner
Matrox MX02 Vs AJA LHe
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:25:49 pm

I have a new Mac Pro Tower, Apple Cinema 24" display and Dell 2408 display
plus I have a Aja Kona LHe.

I really want to have a monitor with a some sort of calibration.
and considering selling my Aja card and buying a Matrox MX02.
will I be loosing out on anything. does the Aja do a good job of colour correction?
I know this is all relatively lo-fi

also is the Matrox MX02 Max - worth considering with its H264 encoding
any help appreciated
regards
Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Matrox MX02 Vs AJA LHe
on Sep 10, 2009 at 11:04:29 pm

If you need a monitor that can be calibrated, it might be best to think about getting a monitor that supports calibration. The Kona will output whatever color correction you throw at it, but you need to properly calibrate the monitor to SMPTE specs. Both of those monitors don't support proper Smpte specs and therefore will be difficult to calibrate, no matter what the Matrox documentation might tell you.

Here's a recent thread for reference.

You have a perfectly great capture card, you just might need to step up on a better monitor. What formats do you work with?

http://mobi.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1047686

Return to posts index

mike faulkner
on Sep 11, 2009 at 9:18:42 am

thanks jeremy for your response

I am working mostly in 1080p pro res hq

I don't have much desk space and also have a little 9" CRT SD monitor

I know I really need to read up on the Aja card
can I output to 2 monitors?

also interestingly I posted this to Matrox forum and got this......

you'll be a happy camper with the MXO2. it just works, and the quality is excellent. all the audio outs is also very handy to have just to drive stereo to a bunch of VTR's, or to do 5.1 monitoring without having to get any extra adapters like SDI audio extractors. I think you'll like just have a metal box with real connectors on it instead of the AJA fan out cable. you also gain HDMI I/O the kona doesn't have which is great for working with all the gear that has those connections now. of course the HDMI out can be adjusted to get better color matching on the LCD being driven by it.

MXO2 also supports closed captioning better then anyone else too right now - both for capture and export.

as for MAX h.264 acceleration, yes that to just works. and works really fast. you will get very spoiled having it, especially if you encode to h.264 based formats everyday. its a quick 15-30 minutes saved everyday ! if you do multiple h.264 encodes, the time savings add up even more. for the few hundred extra, you'll make it back quick enough to not worry about it.

I don't think you'll miss the AJA card at all.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2009 at 3:39:56 pm

[mike faulkner] "I know I really need to read up on the Aja card
can I output to 2 monitors? "

What do you mean two monitors? The AJA card is not a computer graphics card. It is a video card that connects to video appliances such as VT decks and video monitors. To run two computer monitors on your mac, all you need is the graphics card, which is different from your video capture card.

You have the Kona already, right? Now all you need is an HD video monitor.

If you're looking to upgrade your card, I'd go with the Kona LHe, priced right and tons of features.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Sep 11, 2009 at 6:57:34 pm

Should he get the Kona LHi instead for additional HDMI in and out?

Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:03:50 pm

[Mike Allen] "Should he get the Kona LHi instead for additional HDMI in and out? "

Thanks, that was a typo in my last post. I meant LHi.

Sorry for that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]