FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 dual-link not working

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke Bishop
Kona 3 dual-link not working
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:19:36 am

I just installed a Kona 3 in my Mac Pro. FCP 7.0, Kona 7.0 drivers. I am trying to capture an HDCAM-SR 4:4:4 tape so I ran 2 HDSDI cables. I set the Kona software to "dual-link" but it only sees 1 input. I thought maybe a cabling issue, but both inputs are able to get a signal, but it's either green or purple.

I think the problem is with the HDCAM-SR deck. We have an SRW-5800 with the SQ 4:4:4 board. I am not able to figure out if there is a deck setting I missed, but it doesn't seem to be outputting both channels properly.

I have tried google extensively, but haven't been able to figure it out. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona 3 dual-link not working
on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:54:11 am

[Duke Bishop] "I just installed a Kona 3 in my Mac Pro. FCP 7.0, Kona 7.0 drivers. I am trying to capture an HDCAM-SR 4:4:4 tape so I ran 2 HDSDI cables. I set the Kona software to "dual-link" but it only sees 1 input."

OK.

First - you need use the Dual Link Easy setups that come with the extended install ( you need to install all of the K3v7 Drivers

then Config for DL in the Kona Control panel Software (control click on the input side)

then choose the the appropriate setting

the DECK need to be set for 444,and for DL output- if it was shot as HQ in the SRW1 you WILL need an SR deck that supports the 880mbps for playback.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:25:15 pm

Duke,
NO ONE is able to figure out the SRW-5800 deck settings. Google won't help you, the SRW manual will barely help you. In addition to what Gary told you, you need SUPPORT (and training at some point) from Sony on the operation of this insanely complex VTR.

Sony's support # is 800 883 6817

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:40:24 pm

[Bob Zelin] " In addition to what Gary told you, "

what Bob,

No comment on working DL on my "laptop"?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Duke Bishop
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:44:44 pm

I actually did install the Aja dual-link drivers but not the others. I will try that.

Also how do I know if the tape is SQ or HQ? It Is from a client. Looks like I will be on the phone with Sony today.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:38:24 pm

[Duke Bishop] "Also how do I know if the tape is SQ or HQ?"

If it is a production tape- it may or may not be labeled, but most probably is indicated if it was recorded as HQ.

On the decks that support the HQ format the tape will just play.
on none HQ capable machines I think you get a SYS ERROR on the display, but all the decks I use are updated so I cannot put it in a machine that is not capable of playing it.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Duke Bishop
on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:40:34 pm

Thanks for the help, my boss got it working. I think it involved a deck reset, and a setting on the deck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]