FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH Video Output (Color Bars don't match)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Smith
Kona LH Video Output (Color Bars don't match)
on Sep 2, 2009 at 8:10:05 pm

This question has been asked with similar setups and forgive me if it has been answered elsewhere.

I just got a new FCP & Adobe system installed with a Kona LH card and BOB. I am monitoring with a Panasonic BT-LH1760P. Color bars look good on the scopes within FCP, are low on the one built into the Panasonic monitor (visually seems low too). The I/O is SDI. Which should I trust or is there a way to calibrate them? I don't think the issue is with the monitor as the scope only displays what the SDI signal sends.

Thanks,
Greg Smith

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona LH Video Output (Color Bars don't match)
on Sep 2, 2009 at 9:29:15 pm

this is why you use external scopes. I have no idea of what those silly scopes in FCP do. They do not reflect what the TV stations want - what is hitting your VTR for output. All that matters is what is coming out of your Kona LH, and your 1760 scope (also, not the best in the world, but infinately better than the FCP scopes) is the accurate signal - NOT the FCP scopes.

For your sanity, find another set of scopes (maybe a competing facility), and drag your FCP system over to their place - you don't need your drives - just your MAC tower, and your Kona LH - bring up bars, and check it on another scope.

Like I have said all these years about AVID scopes - WHO CARES - they mean nothing. Same with FCP scopes. Don't trust your 1760, then get a Blackmagic Ultrascope.

Pana 1760 is a nice monitor.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Greg Smith
on Sep 2, 2009 at 11:57:43 pm

Thanks Bob. I agree 100%.

I'm using two different output methods to tape. Component out to a BetaSP deck and SDI out to a DSR 2000 and HDW 500. I have an external scope in the shop but it has seen better days and I'm not sure I can even trust it anymore. I've decided to roll off some Bars to tape and take it to another shop and use their equipment to check it. However if the issue is with the Kona I would like to know what, if anything I can do about it?

It would also be nice to see it correctly just for color correction purposes.

-Greg

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:22:30 pm

the Kona is perfect, the Ultrascope is perfect. VTR's drift, and need constant alignment. It's been that way since I have been in the business (1978). Get your decks calibrated. People forget that VTRs need REGULAR maintenance.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]