FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 Aja Kona Cards can handle 2 simultaneus video stream?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcin Mikołajczyk
2 Aja Kona Cards can handle 2 simultaneus video stream?
on Sep 1, 2009 at 5:35:46 pm

I have a question, i want to record a live convert. OB Van gives me 4 HD streams. I need to ingest them into final cut. Is there a possibility that i can capture them using one aja kona card? I searched net and didn't find good results. If not maybe i can use 2 or 3 cards in one MacPro?
Anybody got experience with such problems?
Marcin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 2 Aja Kona Cards can handle 2 simultaneus video stream?
on Sep 1, 2009 at 7:00:24 pm

Sorry, it won't work. You will need one machine per capture device.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:23:08 pm

[Marcin Mikołajczyk] "i want to record a live convert. OB Van gives me 4 HD streams. I need to ingest them into final cut. Is there a possibility that i can capture them using one aja kona card?"

Not easily to a computer, as JG said,

However there are other devices like Stwo's OB-1 recorder that can record 4 simultaneous streams (2 channels of Dual Link 444 or Dual Stereo cameras) in a very small "camera sized" recorder or in larger desktop sized version (like what was used on Benjamin Button), in addition to a host of other devices including laptops with IoHDs or a slew of P2Mobiles.

The issue is recording multiple signals to a single device is currently used mostly stereo / 3D acquisition.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:11:09 am

I saw one MacPro with TWO Kona LHe cards installed capturing two streams at NAB. The company was called ACTIVE, and they design video servers. Some proprietary thing...but two streams on ONE machine. That impressed me.

Lemme find that business card...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:31:17 am

This is exactly what you want -

http://www.telestream.net/pipeline/overview.htm

Bob Zelin
(now give me a cookie !).

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:20:51 am

I think that Specsoft's Rave does something like this with the dual-link SDI inputs on a single Kona 3 or Xena 2k. On their Linux based system with proprietary software & their own custom written driver for the Kona/Xena card.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:54:47 am

Sure, bud, it's possible bandwidth wise, but not without proprietary software. Fcp/vtr xchange won't do it.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:50:04 pm

[Shane Ross] "I saw one MacPro with TWO Kona LHe cards installed capturing two streams at NAB."

I did not say that it could not be done, I said not easily, since there are no off the shelf solutions you would need to be able to access to the KONA SDK which is not cheap.

Companies like qtake http://www.qtakehd.com/ can and do handle multiple streams ( like the dual stereo video assist) using the Aja platform, just as Autodesk uses the same card's OEM version to handle 4K from Lustre.

I said not easy...

Not impossible.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Marcin Mikołajczyk
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:52:36 pm

Ok but what about :)
Put 2 AJA Kona Cards into MacPro, install Parallels, Install another MacOSX and then inside first handle first Aja and inside Parallels try to handle second aja?

It's just a theory :)

Thanks all for answers, i'll try macpro and macbookpro with iohd.

MP 2x3.0 Ghz
FCS 3
Poland

Return to posts index

Andre Guidry
on Sep 2, 2009 at 7:34:59 pm

At the moment you can only use one Kona in a Mac using the retail drivers. AJA has been saying for 12-18 months there would be multi card support. The only way to get more than one card to work, is to get there SDK and go to writing new drivers.

Decklink does support two cards at once using there retail drivers. There are applications out there that you can use, like Softron Media MovieRecorder to ingest two streams at the same time on one workstation. I've got 11 ingest stations with dual inputs capabilities. I'm more of an AJA fan, but due to there single card only support at the moment, I had to purchase Decklink. The dual input does save on hardware and software licensing.

With both manufactures there will be a two card limit with the retail drivers, this is in part to a Quicktime limitation.

-andre

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Sep 8, 2009 at 9:53:16 am

See if the OB van has an EVS that can stream or archive the three feeds to you. Capture the forth on the Mac

Peter

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:02:43 pm

Building For Media are claiming simultaneous ingest and playout from a single AJA Kona card.

http://www.b4m.com/

Got this in an email (though I couldn't see much on their site about the matter), might be new software showing at IBC

The Apple platform fits in also very well in these trends and changing technological expectancy,
especially because Building4Media offers you for instance the following:
* Huge proven track record on the Apple platform (75% of our installations use the Apple
platform)
* Best integration for Apple FCP's, including advanced MAM, integration with archiving,
journalist editing, etc.
* Using the Apple platform as the most cost-effective broadcast video server for your playout.
All our software products support by the way Mac OS, Windows, and also mixed systems. For
example we can integrate your newsroom using Windows with your post-production using
Apple FCP's.

In our software products there have been many developments, like for instance:
* Support for all common HD and SD codecs
* Including support for all common HD LongGOP codecs, for both ingest/import, playout,
and proxies
* XDCam and P2 import
* More advanced XDCam ingest interface
* More advanced P2 ingest interface
* Support for AVC Intra for outgest
* Support for simultaneous ingest and playout from a single AJA Kona card
* Support for multiple AJA Kona cards in one computer (Apple Mac Pro)
* Support for closed caption with AJA Kona cards in SD
* Further extension of our MAM database (the fastest in the industry) and our scripting
* And many, many new features.

Cheers

Matty Causon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]