FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major FCP7 Bug OR AJA Kona Bug?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Major FCP7 Bug OR AJA Kona Bug?
on Aug 31, 2009 at 3:08:54 pm

Maybe this is caused because the original project was edit in FCP 6.0.6. Let me explain and show you what I am talking about.

I have a project that was captured ProRes422 using the HDV-ProRes conversion technique. This doen to save time on logging and capturing HDV footage. We have three systems that use Kona cards (the G5 uses a Kona2, and the MacPro's use the Kona3) the cards are all up to date with the latest drivers.

As you all have know from a previous post of mine, when you do the HDV-ProRes conversion, your video stays in the 1440x1080 frame size. Since the Kona cards don't understand this form of ProRes, we end up having to use another Easy Setup like AJA's 1080i 29.97 DVCProHD. This works just fine since DVCProHD is a non-square pixel format, just like the HDV conversion video.

Here's one of the problems... ProRes422 by its nature is a square pixel format, not the non-square that the HDV-ProRes covnersion does. First red flag...!

Well, under FCP 6.0.6, editing ProRes using the HDV-ProRes conversion and setting my Kona card to DVCProHD is not an issue or problem.

BUT...

When open this project and sequence under the new FCP7 using the same settings as with FCP 6.0.6. Now, when you try to play a rendered sequence, the audio stutters terribly and starts to slow down like when you put you finger on a record being played on a turntable (hopefully you remember this old type of music device).

When you change your Easy Setup to 1080i 29.97 ProRes422, the broadcast monitor now has a distorted, fuzz, negative image of your video BUT the audio is correct.

The ONLY fix is to create a new sequence using ProRes422 and copying the old sequence into it, then manually repair all of the incorrect aspect ratios conversions with your graphics and anything on video tracks 2 and above. Most everything that is copied into video track 1 is adjusted properly and automatically. Then you have to re-render the entire sequence all over again... This is what really bites.

I'm not sure if this is a bug with FCP7 or maybe an issue that we need to work with AJA on.

No one ever said upgrades are smooth....

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
Re: Major FCP7 Bug OR AJA Kona Bug?
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:46:07 pm

Why not capture HDV (through Kona) directly to ProRes 1080? Is this what you are doing? I have a Z5u. I go out HDMI from camera to HDMI in on LHi breakout box and capture directly to ProRes 1080 preset. Works well for me, however I do get static when I stop the playhead sometimes. No problems with audio in finished product but aggrevating while editing.

Mike

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Major FCP7 Bug OR AJA Kona Bug?
on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:14:02 pm

[Mike Allen] "Why not capture HDV (through Kona) directly to ProRes 1080?"

I've gotten this alot lately... But when you have say something like 8 or more tapes and your show goes out to broadcast in 5 days. That don't leave much time for logging... So.... What you need to do is capture everything thru firewire using HDV-ProRes capture which uses a Start-Stop detection for each clip so that you have all of you clips already separated, ready for edit.

Capturing thru the Kona is the best quality but when you have a large number of tapes and lots of clips on those tapes, it can takes many days to log and capture.

Thus the need for capturing thru firewire. BUT, obvisiouly there is a major trade off. ProRes is a square pixel format and HDV (XDCAM HD) is non-square. One would think if you do this ProRes conversion on the fly that it would be full raster... NO... It's not. Thus the problem.

And the AJA Kona products don't really do HDV or XDCAM HD settings. It will show the media properly by setting your Easy Setup to something like ProRes422 or DVCPRoHD. But it is problematic at best when outputting to DVD or to the web. Its very slow to write to a Quicktime file sometimes.

Its frustrating at best....

Just another feature that Apple added that doesn't quite work as it is intended.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]