FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 and OSX 10.6.x

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DeViteri
Kona 3 and OSX 10.6.x
on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:59:57 pm

I am not planning on upgrading to Snow Leopard until at least January on my MacPros. When are new drivers for the Kona 3 planned for release? Has anyone already upgraded and experienced flawless performance without an updated driver? I'm one of those people that likes to wait a few months for all the kinks to get worked out before I tinker with my machines in that major way...

The other question I have - is there anyone who is installing 10.6.x onto a new (clean) drive to retain dual-boot options in the future? If this is the case, does any special firmware upgrade need to be applied so the Kona 3 can function properly in BOTH 10.5.x and 10.6.x, or would this just require the proper drivers to be installed on each OS version?

Anyone's experiences would be helpful, thanks!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona 3 and OSX 10.6.x
on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:56:53 pm

[Brian DeViteri] "When are new drivers for the Kona 3 planned for release? "

Aja released the new 6.5 driver for FCP7 and Kona 3 last week and expect for some minor issues (unrelated to FCS3) it is working fine in my initial testing. Note that this driver does not include Snow support, but seems to be working fine.

[Brian DeViteri] "I am not planning on upgrading to Snow Leopard until at least January on my MacPros."

Then why not ask these questions closer to time, since I can assure you there will be at least some updates and or changes by that time, as AJA is known to update current drivers on a regular basis along with the application updates.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 31, 2009 at 7:14:24 am

I upgraded on all 4 macs with no issues (other than Chax and some growl issues). Highpoint Rocketraid drivers were included in the SL install so I didn't have to even worry with that. Kona 3 seems fine.

Return to posts index

Bart Harrison
on Sep 1, 2009 at 12:17:37 am

Has there been any word from AJA directly ? I'm in the process of installing a new twenty seat SAN and I don't really have a choice of operating systems at this point.

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
TurnKey Editing Systems, Storage Area Networks
HD Consulting, Production & Post, Exhibition & Distribution
http://www.hdsuite.com
772-365-2175

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:20:50 pm

[gary adcock] "Then why not ask these questions closer to time, since I can assure you there will be at least some updates and or changes by that time, as AJA is known to update current drivers on a regular basis along with the application updates."

Yes, AJA has been good about updates in the past, but there have been problems with "major" OS upgrades for hardware that was not originally designed for the OS. I have not heard any Kona 3 user stories about the upgrades (until now), so I thought I would ask.

There is a chance the existing projects will finish before end of year, which would mean an earlier upgrade opportunity.

Also, I am exploring purchasing additional systems. Each would be a new MacPro that would come with OS 10.6.x pre-installed, so was wondering if there were issues because I'd hate to downgrade the OS with an old install disc - I would think that would create even more problems...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]