FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem getting full range in ProRes 4444

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Borghello
Problem getting full range in ProRes 4444
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:40:15 am

Hi,

I just want to share a workaround that I found to a problem with the new Prores 4444 in dual link.
I was trying to digitize something from a HDCAM-SR playing a 4:4:4, coming into my Kona 3 in dual link, but I noticed that the blacks were coming at around 10 instead of 0, and I tried the same in two different bays with the same result.
So after many attempts, I opened the prores 4444 preset with the Capture Preset Editor, and under Advanced, changed the gamma correction from Automatic to none and that did it.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Problem getting full range in ProRes 4444
on Aug 30, 2009 at 1:01:13 am

What happens when you try digitizing to another codec? If it happens just the same with another a codec, you could at least write off it being a problem with pro res. Plus, if it's happening with all codecs, I would check your REF termination.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:47:45 pm

[Richard Sanchez] "What happens when you try digitizing to another codec? If it happens just the same with another a codec, you could at least write off it being a problem with pro res"

Actually it is a problem with ProRes but not what you think.
Trash the QT and all of the Aja prefs- then reboot the computer.

I hit this on friday myself and found something out. I am going to beat a bunch of money that Diego updated his FCP rather than installing a clean version of the App and the OS from scratch.

See the Prefs for the QT rendering on the original versions of ProRes are still in the Computer and QT is seeing them and rendering to the old colorspace since that is what the Preferences tell it to do. On a Clean install of FCP7 on a Fresh OS install does not suffer from the same color issue since QT sees and reacts in the manner it needs to.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Diego Borghello
on Aug 30, 2009 at 8:30:11 pm

It's a good thing you didn't actually bet that money : )
It was a clean install of both OS and FCP in one bay, and an update in another, both showed the same problems.

Digitizing in the other codecs is fine.

Gary, are you digitizing in dual link mode? It's fine if you do single link. It seems kind of obvious but Id ask just in case.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 31, 2009 at 12:25:32 am

[Diego Borghello] "It's a good thing you didn't actually bet that money : ) "

I am never afraid of being wrong, my friend!
On my setups the upgrade showed the issue but not the clean install of FCP7 under Snow Leopard. that could be the issue also, but if so BE THANKFUL. now back to testing...

and Yes I was capturing as Dual Link from an SRW1.

shot the content for the update to my ProRes manifesto using an ARRI D-21 Angenieux Optimo 15- 40 @ f2.8 / f4 | 23:976 via dual link 444 RGB to SRW1 recorder on 6min HDSR stock.
Lighting was a mix of kinoflo fluorescent and Arri tungsten.

Hardware was courtesy of Fletcher Camera.

I will post some images here on the Cow before I head off to IBC next week.

ga

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]