FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona 4

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Torstein Grude
AJA Kona 4
on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:56:05 pm

I am a happy owner of a Aja Kona 3 card. However, work ahead entails 4K, so I am wondering if anyone heard anything about a Kona 4 coming out? If yes, when? If no, anyone know of good alternatives? Thanks much!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA Kona 4
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:25:36 pm

[Torstein Grude] "I am a happy owner of a Aja Kona 3 card. However, work ahead entails 4K, so I am wondering if anyone heard anything about a Kona 4 coming out?"

Since even the just released FCP7 still only supports 2K at this time, why are you needing more?

what are you going to look at that 4K image on?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflow for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Torstein Grude
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:21:24 pm

We will use a Sony 4K cinema projector. Color supports 4K and I reckon Final cut will too.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:45:47 am

Torstein,
you will import your R3D files into FCP as data (not with an AJA Kona card), and display your 4K images from your Red Rocket card that has the output for this.

And if you were not full of s#$% (as you are right now), you would own Assimilate Scratch or Quantel Pablo, so you could edit in 4K right now.

You will take your 2K files, and LIKE IT - just like the entire professional DI market does in LA. Now go sit back down with your silly speculations.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA Kona 28
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:52:08 am

Hey Torstein,
when I get my RED Epic 617 Pro next week to shoot in 28K, do you think that AJA will give me the AJA Kona 28 to edit with, and can I use your Sony 4K projector with a downconverter to go from 28K to the degraded 4K image ? And will this work with my internal boot drive for the media ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:41:31 am

I just fell on the floor laughing.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Torstein Grude
on Aug 25, 2009 at 8:30:13 am

Thanks. So no news re a Kona 4 then?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 25, 2009 at 12:48:40 pm

[Torstein Grude] "Thanks. So no news re a Kona 4 then? "

Again.

Apple just released a new version of FCP 3 weeks ago, and it still does not do 4K. what is the point?

On your SXRD projector you have the 4K processor boards- are they HDSDI or Dual DVI for the input.
Even the REDRocket card only does Dual Link HDSDI and it is the state of the art. Both Scratch and REDRocket handle 4K over Dual DVI connections (too bad about not audio)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflow for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

ProRes-A Closer Look
http://tinyurl.com/b3c3nx

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:45:32 pm

BOB you are so nuts !!! LOL

wow i want a 28K

Torstein, u cannot edit in FCP in 4K just yet, you are stuck with 2K for now.

RED Cine X & Redrocket combo, will help now if u wanna use that for grading and as the guys said Scratch, i have no idea if Color can use red rocket or even will in the future.

Dude use what u have now and as the tech becomes available u can snap them up to move forward.

The rumor mill gets the guys here pissed, LOL, u have a top of the line system use that for now u will upgrade in the future

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 25, 2009 at 9:33:33 pm

Torstein,
just to be clear, please understand that when the Kona 4 (or whatever they call it) comes out, let me assure you that ALL OF YOUR EQUIPMENT will be completely obsolete, and unusable for 4K workflow. This means all of your computers, all of your monitors, all of your disk drives. It means that you CANNOT prepare for the future now, and your investment that you have made will be OBSOLETE, and you will spend more money - and continue to do so - just like all of us do - over and over and over again - as long as you are in this industry.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:10:59 am

Is this the right forum to ask about using my iphone as a media server??

Hey, I just figured out how to get ride of my Legacy Name!

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Aug 26, 2009 at 8:54:04 pm

you CANNOT prepare for the future now, and your investment that you have made will be OBSOLETE, and you will spend more money - and continue to do so - just like all of us do - over and over and over again - as long as you are in this industry.

Well said Bob... It's good to be reminded of this fact every now and again.

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Myrick
on Aug 27, 2009 at 9:08:52 pm

Sort of like 'megapixels' in the DSLR world, past a certain point, it's a sales pitch. I shot my first feature on Hi8 and did okay, so it's all too easy to get caught up in the 'resolution race'.

d

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2009 at 10:18:52 pm

but you were a marketing genius, and the vast majority of people
reading this are not. Most people (actually almost ALL people) could not have pulled off what you did. I don't think Steven Speilberg could have accomplished what you did, with your budget.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Torstein Grude
on Sep 3, 2009 at 10:57:46 am

Thanks, Bob.

"you CANNOT prepare for the future now, and your investment that you have made will be OBSOLETE"

In my companies we continuously prepare for the future. In a country where production equipment is much more expensive compared to the US, we cannot afford to behave differently. It would be really bad for business. I think you certainly can prepare for the future and later find use for equipment that has passed it's peak. When older formats and machinery become obsolete on the production side, they still remain important on the distribution and archival side for many years. (In our setup we have separate companies covering production, equipment rental and distribution).

Return to posts index

Torstein Grude
on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:15:39 am

With regards to the 4K issues: we have a customer who wants to do a 4K project with release late in 2011, but with production start in 2010. (It's a combination of animation and live action). Our job will primarily be grading, various versioning and mastering.

4K is certainly new territory for us, so any help is much appreciated. Will look into your tips.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Nov 30, 2009 at 12:14:47 am

But still, the Kona 4 question is valid. The next gen Kona may have other features beside increased rez like more RT effects, accelerated rendering, etc.

I just got my Kona LHe today to replace the Blackmagic HD Extreme. The Extreme has been good in the Mac, but no CS4 drivers still. :(

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]