FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi and RED 2K

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Tay
Kona LHi and RED 2K
on Aug 18, 2009 at 9:36:25 am

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Kona LHi card to playback RED 2K (2048 x 1024) materials out as HD 1920 x 1080, or downconvert to SD PAL/NTSC ?

Or do we need the Kona 3 to do this ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona LHi and RED 2K
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:18:09 am

My understanding is the LHi stops at 1080 and you require the Kona 3 for 2k and larger.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 18, 2009 at 12:55:58 pm

Kona 3. Lhi can handle 3g sdi up to 1080p60. Anything above that is kona3 material.

Return to posts index

Justin Barham
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:27:11 pm

Are we sure it can't just be scaled down to 1080 for viewing?

- Justin Barham -

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:34:52 pm

[Justin Barham] "Are we sure it can't just be scaled down to 1080 for viewing? "

Sure, but then you're at 1920x1080 and not @ 2K.

Plus, they have to be ProRes files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:56:48 pm

[Justin Barham] "Are we sure it can't just be scaled down to 1080 for viewing? "
I'm not sure the LHi can do that in realtime.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 19, 2009 at 7:23:41 pm

NO.

The LH series cards are not designed to handle anything larger than 1920 x 1080

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflow for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Justin Barham
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:12:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up. The LHi is a perfect card otherwise, and AJA's great support rep is well earned. But if I can't monitor Red R3Ds in Color, I'll have to settle for another brand.

- Justin Barham -

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:18:55 pm

Yes, the AJA Kona 3.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Justin Barham
on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:27:23 pm

Great card. I use it regularly on jobs. But no HDMI or 3G SDI at that price makes it a sketchy option for mi casa.

Id be very curious as to what AJA has in the oven right now.

- Justin Barham -

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:37:41 pm

[Justin Barham] "Id be very curious as to what AJA has in the oven right now. "

Brownies?

They do have converters for what you need. Dual link to 3G, to DVI, whatever. It'll get you some more miles out of your Kona 3 if you really need those capabilities right now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Bishop
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:05:32 pm

Actually the LHe and even the IOHD can play back 2k files via 1080p from a 2k timeline. Just set your playback to 1080p 23.976 or 29.97 depending on your frame rate.

This is great for screening and even pulling a SD or quick HD copy. If you are pulling an HD master I would go with a Kona 3 as you would have the option for dual link if you had your footage in 4x4 and outputting to a SR VTR.

But for screenings you are just fine with the LHe

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 5, 2009 at 1:01:37 am

This is a really interesting thread. I've been trying to decide on a card. I'm in Europe, so my priority is 1080p25 for programming, shot on XDCAM. I've been doing a lot of post for commercials however, and that's mostly RED material 2K or 4K, depending on projects. My output is hardly ever over 1080p, though, but the option of working at 2K would be nice though.

Is the Kona 3 my best option? Would the LHe do the trick? Is there a difference in how much "realtime" I'm getting between the cards?

If not AJA altogether, what's the competition?

Thanks,
Bjarki.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:25:12 pm

[Bjarki Gudjonsson] "Is the Kona 3 my best option?"

If working with 2K footage, real 2K footage, the Kona3 is your best option, yes. If working with 1080p footage (and no dual link) the LHi will work just fine too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:20:34 pm

What's the difference between LHi and LHe?

Thanks,
Bjarki

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:29:37 pm

LHi, is the newer card. LHe has been discontinued.

LHi allows for 3Gb HD SDI monitoring, it also has HDMI in and out as well as analog/digital hd/sd. There's also LTC in and out in the LHI as opposed to the LHe. The LHi also has up/down/cross conversion where the LHe only has down conversion.

The LHi will do anything up to 1080p60 (over 3Gb SDI), the LHe will only do 1080i.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:37:24 pm

Thanks a lot Jeremy, your responses have been incredibly helpful. I'm looking to get an HP Dreamcolor and have been looking at the LHe (having not used it before) or the Kona 3 card, but I think the LHi fits the bill.

I don't know if you have the answer to this one, but given that the Dreamcolor requires a progressive RGB signal, can I set the LHi to be my output to the monitor or would I be better off with the AJA HDP2 in between my card's HD-SDI out and the Dreamcolor's HDMI in (as mentioned in the link below)?

http://nab.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=867184&afterin...

Thanks again!

B.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:34:35 pm

I have been evaluating a DreamColor myself. It does need a progressive RGB signal, so that means p and not psf. In order to monitor with your Dreamcolor and LHi, you can use the HDMI 1.3a connection, but you must be in either 1080p or 720p mode and you can forget about SD. I have the HDP2 as I sometimes have a multitude of formats coming through, so the HDP2 takes the guess work out of it. Plus, if laying off to HDCam tape @ psf, I can't monitor the outgoing signal properly without the HDP2 as the Kona has to be in psf mode and can't do psf and p at the same time in the frame buffer.

Other than that, the monitor has been really great at a very nice price point. It really is 10bit and the blacks are very very clean and nice.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:49:25 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "In order to monitor with your Dreamcolor and LHi, you can use the HDMI 1.3a connection, but you must be in either 1080p or 720p mode and you can forget about SD. I have the HDP2 as I sometimes have a multitude of formats coming through, so the HDP2 takes the guess work out of it."

So you CAN use the Dreamcolor with SD material as long as you have the HDP2, or not at all?

Thanks,
Bjarki

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:54:29 pm

[Bjarki Gudjonsson] "So you CAN use the Dreamcolor with SD material as long as you have the HDP2,"

Correct. In order to plug in to the DreamColor engine that will properly display wither 601 (SD) or 709 (HD) color spaces, the signal needs to be RGB and progressive. HDMI already puts out the RGB image on the LHi (converted from YUV) but the HDP2 will display and scale the SD to HD and also make it progressive (as well as RGB). The first time I saw SD on the monitor, I couldn't really believe it. The HDP2 does a really really nice job.

If you work in anything besides p, it would be silly not to get the HDP2, like I said, it just takes the guess work out of the setup and assures accurate monitoring.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 9, 2009 at 11:40:57 pm

Just out of curiosity - have you had a chance to compare the Dreamcolor to the FSI monitors?

Thanks,
B.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2009 at 5:03:42 pm

[Bjarki Gudjonsson] "Just out of curiosity - have you had a chance to compare the Dreamcolor to the FSI monitors?"

Unfortunately, no. The FSI monitors are 8 bit vs Dreamcolor 10 bit. FSI has a yet to be released 10 bit monitor (or maybe it's just released) for $8,000 US.

FSI has many more bells and whistles (audio, tc, scopes) but for the 10bit version, it is 4 times the price as the Dreamcolor. I haven't found anything that has the quality of the Dreamcolor for the cost. Some people don't want to believe it because it's a 'computer monitor' but the FSI monitors are using a version of a LUT just like the Dreamcolor. You will have to see it to believe it. I would LOVE to do a side by side test of the Dreamcolor vs the 10bit FSI, but for me, it's hard to arrange.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:26:37 pm

That's really good news. I'm really excited about the Dreamcolor. One of the things I won't have in that setup is a scope, so I was thinking about the I'm Blackmagic Ultrascope to have on the side. The thread is drifting off-topic, I guess, but I'd be interested to see what people think of the Ultrascope.

B.

Return to posts index

Justin Barham
on Jun 24, 2010 at 8:47:40 pm

Kona 8.0 software out now: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/876965

"- Added 2K x 1080 support for KONA LHi
- Added 2K x 1080p25 and 2K x 1080PsF25 support for KONA 3 and LHi"

- Justin Barham -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved