FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi card, KL Box?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Strother
Kona LHi card, KL Box?
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:20:20 pm

New Kona LHi card, have a Kona KL Box. Will these work together?

George
Light Images

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona LHi card, KL Box?
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:57:59 pm

Nope. LHi has different ins and outs so you need the KLHi box.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

George Strother
on Aug 13, 2009 at 9:05:10 pm

Maybe not so very different. I have both cards, with both snakes and The Box KL on the floor right now.

LH card has 1 multi pin connector and 3 SDI, 1 in, 2 out.
LHi card has the same multi pin and 2 SDI, 1 in, 1 out.

The snakes are identical. Not only do they look identical, they have the same part number.

With 2 SDI cables to the Box, 1 SDI out would not be active. Since there is only 1 SDI out at the card, this is no loss.

Hmm. Since the snakes have the same part numbers, then the cards must have the same pin-outs on the multi plug.

The box has no external power connection and appears to be a straight through patch bay. (So far, too lazy to open it and look.)

Not being quite brave (dumb?) enough to just plug it in and see if smoke comes out, I thought I would see if someone has actually tried this yet.

George
Light Images

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 13, 2009 at 9:16:33 pm

[George Strother] "With 2 SDI cables to the Box, 1 SDI out would not be active. Since there is only 1 SDI out at the card, this is no loss. "

No sir. The LHi has 3G SDI, the LHe does not. Yes, the snake is the same, but the hardware in the card and in the KBox are different.

Sorry.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

George Strother
on Aug 14, 2009 at 12:26:00 am

Seems to work fine.

I talked to support @ AJA and they confirmed that all of the SDI and HDMI ports on the box are just pass throughs.

3GB might need higher grade cables between the box and the card, but the internal jumpers are probably too short to be trouble. If they seem to causing a loss, the high grade 3G cables could be plugged directly into the card. And you would need to bend down and plug HDMI cables into the card directly.

Support didn't know if the Control Panel would identify the box correctly, but said it's all the same pin-outs, so it shouldn't hurt anything to try.

Control Panel does still identify the system as LHi and appears to have full control.

Of course I don't have the real box to compare, so something might be missing, but all screens in the manual show up in control panel.

I will report back if the fire department has to visit.

George
Light Images

Return to posts index

George Strother
Kona LHi card & KL Box Do work together
on Aug 14, 2009 at 4:05:55 pm

Wanted to mark the subject line, for those who might want to know.

George
Light Images

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]