FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona LHe Freezes On Blue Screen On Startup

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Settlemoir
AJA Kona LHe Freezes On Blue Screen On Startup
on Aug 12, 2009 at 12:58:10 am

I am having an intermittent problem with my computer freezing on the blue screen at start up. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. One time it seemed frozen and I let it sit for 5 minutes and it eventually booted up. One time it seemed frozen and I let it sit for 20 minutes and it stayed frozen. So far I haven't been able to find any pattern.

It seems the default answer is always "manually update the firmware using the firmware utility" but this is only for the Kona 3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11829528@N07/sets/72157621887273251/

Pre-2008 Mac Pro
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Kona LHe
AJA Control Panel 6.5.0
FCP 6.0.6

Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA Kona LHe Freezes On Blue Screen On Startup
on Aug 12, 2009 at 1:41:50 am

Restart and hold the shift key while booting up to get you in to safe mode. Uninstall the aja drivers. Reboot. Download and install the NDD drivers. Reboot.

Return to posts index

Christopher Settlemoir
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:53:35 pm

That fixed the problem. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:04:30 pm

Wow, 5 weeks later :)

Glad you're up and running

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Larry Thiessen
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:27:37 am

The same sort of thing has just happened to me. Bought my first Mac ever, a Mac Pro, and bought a Kona Lhe that was a few years old. Installed it and everything seemed to be working ok. Even with me stumbling around my first Mac. I have been using an old pc based system with Spruce Fast Silver and DVD Maestro software on an NT platform believe it or not.
Anyway, last Friday the Mac Pro just froze up on the blue screen and could not reboot it. Got the grey screen for 20 minutes. Was on the phone to Mac support for over an hour, they could fix it, took it into the Mac store where I got it and they couldn't fix it. Now they are going to give me a new Mac and tell me my Kona card is bad. Could it just be that the firmware on the card needs to be updated?

Larry.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 1, 2009 at 12:26:44 pm

[Larry Thiessen] "Now they are going to give me a new Mac and tell me my Kona card is bad. Could it just be that the firmware on the card needs to be updated? "

Question.

did the mac ever work with the LHE card installed?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Larry Thiessen
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:41:09 am

Yes, I was using the Mac with the card with great success for about ten day until it locked. I am pretty sure this was due to a fault of the Mac seeing as today they gave me a new one. But the Mac store guys said don't install the Kona card because when they tried they could not get the box to boot up. Only when the card is out does it boot up.
Also when I open DVD Studio Pro I get two bouncing folders on my dock that wont open and say "MultiMediaEncode.oxygene" (or something close to that) when I mouse over the folders.
So I called Apple support again and they said the only way to solve the conflicts is to wipe and reinstall the operating system and then FCP. Then the Kona card and software.
I also called Kona and they are going to send out a replacement card with current drivers on it. Even though I was willing to try to install a hardware update in safemode, they said this would be safer.

Sorry, long answer to a short question.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:40:27 pm

Do you have the NDD drivers installed?

Return to posts index

Larry Thiessen
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:32:40 am

Sorry, I don't know what those are...

Return to posts index

Larry Thiessen
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:36:33 am

Ok, I guess I know now. Found them on the Kona site. I think when I originally installed I used the Driver version 7 without the NDD drivers.

Return to posts index

Larry Thiessen
on Oct 3, 2009 at 2:14:45 am

Found out today that Kona is going to send me another card with updated firmware. They thought that would be safer than trying to upgrade firmware on existing card in case there was something wrong with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]