FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony GV-HD700 and Kona 3?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Craig
Sony GV-HD700 and Kona 3?
on Aug 8, 2009 at 11:30:03 pm

Hi,

I would like to capture HDV material into Final Cut Pro from my Sony GV-HD700 clamshell deck by running the component signal through my Kona 3 and doing an on-the-fly conversion/ingest as 720p. So far, no luck. (I have no problem capturing the material via Firewire as ProRes but that's not what I prefer to do.)

I have searched a few forums here and haven't found an answer.

My preference is to have deck control of the GV-HD700 while capturing via component into Kona 3 but that's not absolutely necessary. I would be satisfied with an "uncontrollable device" setting if I could just determine the proper settings -- in Final Cut and the Kona 3 Control Panel -- to ingest the HD700's component signal through Kona. Has anyone here got knowledge of how to do that?

As far as control is concerned, by the way, when I try to set the capture setting as 720p and device control as HDV, FCP objects. It says both settings have to be HDV setting. So many settings.... so little success.

Any advice appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
Re: Sony GV-HD700 and Kona 3?
on Aug 9, 2009 at 12:07:14 am

Addedendum:
I should have noted that I also using an AJA HD10AVA to convert the HD700's component signal into SDI in order to get it into the Kona 3.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sony GV-HD700 and Kona 3?
on Aug 9, 2009 at 2:07:24 pm

It is staggering to me how many people basically ask the same question, which always leads back to the same answer.

1) close FCP. Forget FCP.
2) open the AJA Control Panel
3) send your CAV HD signal into your AJA A/D converter. Send this into the Kona 3 HD IN 1
4) select on your input tab in the AJA Control Panel HD IN 1
5) in your Format tab, for primary, choose 720p
6) in your CONTROL tab, select INPUT PASSTHROUGH
7) hookup a TV monitor (SDI, HD-SDI or analog composite - even grandma's old TV) to your Kona 3 output (use the Out Y jack to hookup to Grandmas' old TV)
8) if you are using Grandmas old TV, in the FORMAT tab, chooose secondary to be 525, and the ANALOG tab to be Secondary, and COMPOSITE instead of component
9) do you see your GV-HD700 playing back in the TV ? Bet it works now.
10) if you don't have any TV, including Grandma's old TV to test with, then you don't belong in the television business. "Im a professional in the professional television industry, but I don't own a television" warrants execution, not assitance.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
Staggering!!
on Aug 10, 2009 at 7:14:09 pm

Actually, what is staggering is how much I have benefited from Bob Zelin's help over the past couple of years. And here it has happened once again.

Darn, Zelin!! I did search the forums for an answer on this. I did; I did. My search terms much have been deficient. Or my reading skills below par. Or my patience unaccountably too thin.

However, I still have a follow-up: Does your answer address the deck control issue? (I'm working overseas right now and can't get to my edit system.) Or does this deck require that I go with "uncontrollable device" in my FCP deck control settings? Sorry, if I were in the studio I could test this out. But I just didn't see how the connections and settings you specified would give me deck control.

Thanks for taking the time. I know I am not worthy! I'll do better next time.

Ron

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Staggering!!
on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:26:09 pm

modern systems (XDCam EX, XDCam HD, P2, AVC Intra, RED) IMPORT footage via computer connection (Firewire for example). You don't "control a deck". You are importing data, you are not playing a tape.

If you have spare time and money lying around, you can get this -
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-videorecorders/cat-recxdcam/product-PDW150...

It's $15,000, and it will let you treat your XDCam HD media like a tape (with RS422 VTR control) - but why would you do this ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
Re: Staggering!!
on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:36:12 pm

Let's see...

I had that spare $15,000 lying around here somewhere..

Hmmm.... can't seem to find it right now.

Thank you, sir.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]