FORUMS: list search recent posts

FC7, Canon HV-30 (HDV/CMOS chip) at 30psf (progressive), AJA LHi (HDMI) (interlaced)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Richards
FC7, Canon HV-30 (HDV/CMOS chip) at 30psf (progressive), AJA LHi (HDMI) (interlaced)
on Aug 6, 2009 at 8:21:38 am

Sorry for the repeat question, figured I'd bring it to this forum for a few more opinions.
I've been agonizing and scouring the web for the best workflow. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out the best workflow for a short film to be presented digitally in festival theaters, Blu-Ray, and DVD output. We have over 40 hours of dailies so far, so would like to do it “right” while digitizing.

I have recently upgraded to FC7 and AJA LHi's latest drivers. We shot using the Canon HV30 (HDV/CMOS chip) in their ”30” psf mode and are connecting via HDMI. There are plenty of new HDV and ProRes psf choices from both, but all are for the 24psf workflow, not the 30psf workflow! So close! Put a call into AJA and...

First Question...Is this the best option to date?

So far I think our best option is not to use the firewire, but still using the AJA LHi (via HDMI) 1080i/29.97 (interlaced) settings and matching FCP timeline and figure out how to de-interlace prior to output (any suggestions on getting this to look ”progressive” again?).

Second question...Regular ProRes or ProRes HQ?

I started with HQ, but the render times, whoa! Will I notice a visual difference between ProRes and ProRes HQ? If not, I'm going to stick to regular because the 20 minute cut will be multilayered and intensive.

Thanks all!
Best,
Thomas

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FC7, Canon HV-30 (HDV/CMOS chip) at 30psf (progressive), AJA LHi (HDMI) (interlaced)
on Aug 6, 2009 at 8:26:57 pm

If you shot 30psf, then it will be captured 30 psf with a field dominance of Upper Field First. What you have to do do is after capturing (and preferably before editing) you change the field dominance in FCP to 'none' in the browser. This can be done by selecting as many clips as possible, then find the Field Dominance column and then right click and chose none, then edit on a 'none' timeline. This will yield progressive images and rendering.

If you have clips already in a timeline, then you will have to change those clips manually (all of them) in the timeline by selecting them all and then right click and choose item properties > format. Find the Field Dominance row, and start changing them all to None, and don't forget to change your sequence to a field dominance of none. Since you changed all the clips in the browser, any new clip you add to your current 'None' sequences will be progressive. Hope that makes sense.

Stick with ProRes and not HQ. You will be fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Thomas Richards
Re: FC7, Canon HV-30 (HDV/CMOS chip) at 30psf (progressive), AJA LHi (HDMI) (interlaced)
on Aug 7, 2009 at 12:41:32 am

Thanks Jeremy! That clears it up. I guess what was throwing us off was looking at the raw quicktime files and seeing how bad the interlace looked. This timeline field change makes sense. And in your opinion this route is by far better than trying to use any of the new HDV psf codecs? Will go with just the regular and not the HQ prores, too many layers and effects! Thanks for the help. Have a good weekend!

Return to posts index

Thomas Richards
on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:13:03 am

Many recommend against using ProRes HQ. I will have multiple video layers and plug-ins and used a 35mm adapter with some vignetting on the footage. I started digitizing at HQ (prior to asking in these forums) because I thought the greyscale banding of the vignetting would look better on the big screen (film festivals). Would you still stick to SQ in that scenario?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]