FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA nightmare setup

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Walk
AJA nightmare setup
on Aug 5, 2009 at 4:31:27 pm

Alright. Here's the problem. I've gone through various tutorials on how to setup this AJA Kona LHe card and I can't get anything to work properly. I'm about ready to take a baseball bat to everything.

I'm trying to layoff 720p60 footage through the card to a Beta SP.

Problems:

When monitoring on my SD monitor, the first frame of the video will hold even after I've started playing in the timeline. When I pause, it stops on that frame. External video in FCP is set to All Frames. Video Playback is set to AJA 525i29.97 10-bit (720x486).

On the KONA LHe Control Panel, when I select the primary format (720p60), I am only able to select the same format for secondary, thus not allowing me to do a down conversion.

Has anybody had any similar problems? Anybody have any setups that they recommend? I have the feeling this is a ridiculously easy thing to fix, but I'm so into this that I can't take a step back to see the answer.

Thanks!

T

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA nightmare setup
on Aug 5, 2009 at 8:38:41 pm

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/150/858995

Replace where I have written ioHD with LHe.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 5, 2009 at 11:12:37 pm

I'm about ready to take a baseball bat to everything.

REPLY - next time, do TESTS before you start your project, and have to do something new. Without doing tests to see if something works, you will never succeed. ALL OF US fail the first time we do something.

you write -
I'm trying to layoff 720p60 footage through the card to a Beta SP.

Problems:

When monitoring on my SD monitor, the first frame of the video will hold even after I've started playing in the timeline. When I pause, it stops on that frame. External video in FCP is set to All Frames. Video Playback is set to AJA 525i29.97 10-bit (720x486).

REPLY - put your playback back where it belongs - at 720p60. You use the AJA Control Panel to downconvert, not the Audio/Video playback settings. My suggestion - go back to EASY SETUPS, and choose the AJA DVCProHD Easy setup for 59.94, this way, you are not screwing around with menus that you don't understand. OK, now that you have done this, does your timeline at least play back now without giving you a "still frame " ?

On the KONA LHe Control Panel, when I select the primary format (720p60), I am only able to select the same format for secondary, thus not allowing me to do a down conversion.

REPLY - AJA Control Panel - FORMAT TAB - primary 720p, secondary 525. If you are "grayed out" and cant change it, CLOSE FCP, open the AJA Control Panel, and try it again. Does it work (I bet it does). Now, open up FCP, open up a NEW PROJECT (not your project). Select an Easy setup of AJA Kona DVCProHD 59.94. Bring up 720p color bars.
FORGET YOUR PROJECT FOR NOW. Go into AJA Control Panel. Format tab primary 720p, secondary 525. Look at your TV monitor - do you see standard def color bars? If you don't, go to the ANALOG tab in the Control panel, and select SECONDARY 525. NOw you will have color bars on your NTSC TV. If this works, NOW, go back to your original project. Make sure the project STAYS at 720p, using the Easy setup.

Has anybody had any similar problems? Anybody have any setups that they recommend? I have the feeling this is a ridiculously easy thing to fix, but I'm so into this that I can't take a step back to see the answer.

REPLY - the problem is that you are in the middle of the project, you have to output a Beta tape, and you just dont HAVE THE TIME to figure this stuff out. Next time, spend time figuring out how to do stuff like this BEFORE you get into a time crunch where you have a deadline.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tyler Walk
on Aug 6, 2009 at 7:05:20 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Setting the playback to DVCPro HD 59.94 was the deal.

Glad that I actually wasn't in the middle of a project, but thanks for bringing that to other readers' attention, Bob. This was the test before starting a project phase.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]