FORUMS: list search recent posts

realtime issues with Red project

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
realtime issues with Red project
on Aug 2, 2009 at 2:10:47 pm

I don't want to do a full cross-post here but could sure use some help with this one. The entire story is at this post:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/242/2838

and if any of you in this forum have time to take a look at my post in the Red forum I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure if it's a Red issue or a Kona issue (or most likely, an operator issue) so I started over there.

Gracias.

Joe Murray

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: realtime issues with Red project
on Aug 2, 2009 at 2:31:14 pm

Hi Joe -
how did you get the R3D files into your system? Did you use RedRushes? RedAlert ? Did you transcode these into ProRes422 files?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Aug 2, 2009 at 2:48:50 pm

Hi Bob-

Good to hear from you. I have transcoded to Prores as a backup, and those files work OK. But the workflow I've been using with no issues, is to simply import the medium resolution proxies directly into FCP, edit with those using Unlimited RT, then send to Color which looks back at the full 4K files.

i've also heard that transcoding to Redcode Quicktimes is better than ProRes when finishing with Color, so I tried that workflow. Those files are no more realtime than the proxies.

So I have the ProRes to use for my offline, but I'm not sure how to translate that into a Color project that references the original R3D files. I'd prefer my original workflow, but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Aug 3, 2009 at 3:49:56 pm

Hey Joe-

One way to work offline ProRes and then online in Color with the .r3D files is to use Clipfinder (free download). You can export a Final Cut XML into clip finder and then replace your .MOV files with .R3Ds and then export a new XML to bring into Color. Good luck.

- Mike

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Aug 2, 2009 at 3:05:37 pm

And, to more completely answer your question, I did not use Red Rushes or Red Alert, just transcoded to ProRes using FCP's log and transfer tool.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
UPDATE: problem identified
on Aug 3, 2009 at 9:41:34 pm

I have not ruled out a problem with the Kona displaying these off-resolution proxies, but here's why I can't play the proxies realtime in FCP. Found this in the Red workflow white paper and confirmed the camera was indeed set to MAX. Whatever else that setting does, it also kills realtime playback in FCP:

Turn Off the Cameraʼs MAX Setting Before You Shoot

Thereʼs a checkbox labeled MAX In the PROJECT submenu of the SYSTEM
menu of the RED ONE camera. If youʼre planning on finishing your project using Final Cut Pro and Color, itʼs best to turn this setting off before you begin shooting. Leaving it on may adversely affect real-time performance of RED media in Final Cut Studio.

Thanks for all the input. Pass this on to your DP if you intend to try using proxies inside FCP.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]