FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD-SDI Cabling

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Solorio
HD-SDI Cabling
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:24:59 pm

Hey guys,

We're in the process of moving our facility into a larger location and we're about ready to throw some long runs of HD-SDI cabling from the suites to the machine room. We've been using Belden 1505a cabling in the past which works great. Belden claims a flat spectrum up to 3GHz for HD-SDI with 1505a. But I'm wondering if anyone's using anything different/better than 1505a.

Also, anyone know of a reputable/quality place besides Markertek that carries and builds these kind of specialty cables? We're looking for 75-foot cables (preferably in yellow) using either Canare or Kings BNC connectors. And if there's something other than 1505a you can recommend, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HD-SDI Cabling
on Jul 27, 2009 at 10:51:17 pm

AVCable uses Gepco for cable and Kings BNC. They have premium cable specifically for HD SDI. They are local to me, so I use them a lot as the cables come mighty fast.

http://www.avcable.com/

Forgot to add they have a bunch of different colors too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jul 28, 2009 at 5:03:39 am

This is a great link, Jeremy. Their PVC2 cable looks nice (and in yellow too!). I like that they heat-shrink the connector crimps.

Thanks again!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:20:46 am

Jeremy,

We decided to give the guys you recommended out for a try and ordered a few of there VSD2001 precision cables. Thanks again for the lead.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 29, 2009 at 1:42:30 pm

[Marco Solorio] "Thanks again for the lead. "

Hey no worries. Glad it worked for you!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Mendenhall
on Aug 9, 2009 at 1:34:31 pm

We started using the GEPCO VSD2001 4 years ago in a football stadium and are pleased with the cable quality. Most of the signals running over it right now are analog, but it gave us the future proofing needed. We only use 1505A or 1694A or the equivilent in installs now.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2009 at 12:32:31 am

Hi -
there is no such thing as "better" than Belden 1505A. There is equivalent to Belden 1505A, but it doesn't make a "better picture", or give you more resolution, etc.

Canare L-4CFB is the Japanese equivalent of Belden 1505A. It's cheaper, easier to work with (just a little), but comes in 300 meter rolls, not 1000' rolls, so you get screwed by a few feet.

Gepco makes VPM-2000, which is also excellent, and is the equivalent of Belden 1505A. They are in Chicago. Martin is an excellent rep.

WestPenn WP-819 is sold by Comprehensive Video, and is the equivalent of Belden 1505A.

Other popular cable styles for HD-SDI work include RG-6 (Belden 1694A - this is the thick stuff), and RG-174 (Belden 1855A - this is the very thin stuff). There is actually even thinner stuff - D179 from Belden is as thin as audio cable, and can be used for HD-SDI feeds. Much of the difference in these cables is how far you can run them. I use Belden 1505A and equivalent, because 300' for me is enough, and the extra 60' you get from Belden 1694A is just not worth the aggrivation because of the heavy density of the cable. Again, you dont' get a better picture because you are using "thick" Belden 1694A.

Connectors are usually based on your tooling. Canare uses specialized tooling from Canare, which is not compatible with anything else. Popular brands for connectors, like Kings, Amphenol, Trompeter, Connectronics, and others that you may see in the Markertek catalog, work with popular generic tools from companies like Paladin, Platinum, Kings, Trompeter, and others (they all work on everything except for Canare). However, a connector for Belden 1505A (like Kings 2065-2-9) works beautifully on Canare L-4CFB cable.

And the Canare cable is the LEAST expensive of the bunch.

There are other excellent companies that sell cable direct, like Clark Cable, and others.

For short runs (like 10'), you certainly can "get away" with your old crappy RG59 coax cables that you used on your analog systems. But for new systems, or LONG runs over 100', don't screw around, because HD-SDI signals start to really fail after 100'.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jul 28, 2009 at 5:00:09 am

LOL, I'm definitely not expecting a better picture quality or resolution, but as mentioned, these are for long runs at about 75+ feet, so to ensure the digital transmission performs without a glitch, I want to *continue* using the best (1505a), or something better/equal in quality for less money. So yes, thank you for listing those out for me! Definitely good, detailed info there.

Definitely no old RG59 analog coax cables here to use for that purpose! We've always used quality stuff. The new facility will definitely continue in that tradition.

I'm going to check out the Canare L-4CFB cable. I've always liked their connectors. I appreciate the info, Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]