FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHi minimum system requirements update

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
Kona LHi minimum system requirements update
on Jul 24, 2009 at 9:01:45 pm

A few days ago I posted a question regarding minimum system requirements to run a Kona LHi, as my OS is not completely up to date. Gary Adcock wrote:

"Ok, your systems OS is what 2 years old? and the card is brand new, so think about it. The current software versions at the time the LHI was announced were FCP 6.04, QT 7.6 and OS 10.5.4, it would be a pretty good bet that would be a good place to start.""

A couple folks at AJA seemed to agree, so I upgraded all the way to the current versions of OS X and Quicktime. After two days of kernel panics, continuous crashes, never-ending diagnostics, pulling memory out and putting it back in, re-installing 10.5.7 over and over, running the Apple Hardware tests over and over, repairing drives and permissions I don't know how many times, and generally unable to actually work on a project, a different person at AJA said, "why not just try what you originally had?"

Long story short - - I am back to my rock stable OS 10.5.1 and Quicktime 7.3, and the Kona LHi is running like a champ. Not one crash today, not one kernel panic. So a message of salvation to Gary and everyone else: you won't *break* anything on the LHi by trying what you are currently running. If it works, you're in. If not, then go for the OS updates.

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
Re: Kona LHi minimum system requirements update
on Jul 25, 2009 at 3:28:02 pm

Lawrence,

There's a lot of wisdom in what you say. I tried desperately to get Pro Tools and KONA LH to co-exist on the same computer (an early model G5). No amount of tech saavy could get it to gel.

Ultimately, it was to go back and run KONA dedicated to a G5 and Pro Tools on a different unit. My world is a much more content place--maybe not as streamlined, but I can get work done.

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
maloneymarketinggroup.com
beartoothrecording.com
mmg.bz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]