FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res HQ in Compressor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Quinn Costello
Pro Res HQ in Compressor
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:22:44 pm

Hi-

I'm using FCP 6.0.3 and Compressor 3.0.3. My task requires me to convert reference movies of Aja Kona DVCProHD 720p 59.94 material to Pro Res (HQ) 1280 X 720 and 24 fps. Most of the clips look fine. The issue is that some of the clips with movement start out with extreme strobing and then somehow instantaneously correct themselves about halfway through. I can see no noticeable difference in the source material to indicate what could be causing the problem and it's so weird that it happens in the middle of a shot. What's also weird is that it doesn't happen on every clip with motion.

Here's what I've tried...I switched from 24fps to 30fps and it seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately, I have to stick to 24fps for my client. I also tried it on a newer version of compressor and had the same issue.

So, any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Quinn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Pro Res HQ in Compressor
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:24:33 pm

24.0?

Return to posts index

Quinn Costello
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:30:46 pm

Yes sir, 24.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:38:34 pm

Wht are your settings in Compressor? Everything set to best? Was it shot 59.94 or 23.98 over 59.94?

Return to posts index

Quinn Costello
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:44:41 pm

Hi Jeremy -

Thanks for your help. I don't see a place in compressor to adjust the quality but I do have the compression type set to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ.) Most of the material looks great but this problem occurs on about 1 in 10 clips.

The source material is all 59.94. Here is what reads in the Inspector window...

File Extension: mov
Estimated file size: 108.06 MB
Audio: multi-track passthrough
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 1280
Height: 720
Pixel aspect ratio: Square
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: 24
Frame Controls: Automatically selected: Off
Codec Type: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Multi-pass: Off, frame reorder: Off
Progressive
Chroma filtering enabled
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 50
Min. Spatial quality: 0
Temporal quality: 0
Min. temporal quality: 0

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2009 at 10:18:36 pm

You have to run on the frame controls tab (right now it's off) and set the retiming to best. This will allow optical flow for retiming. Your mileage may vary and you might have to set it down one more level (to better) to get what you want. It really depends on the shot. Also, turning on Frame controls will enable 10bit files. You can set resizing to best as well.

You have an 8 core? Make sure to setup a virtual cluster to garner speed.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Quinn Costello
on Jul 9, 2009 at 10:41:57 pm

Dude- that did it. Thanks man! That's a huge help.

Quinn

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 10, 2009 at 1:37:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You have to run on the frame controls tab (right now it's off) and set the retiming to best. "

No No No.

Stop...

Why in the hell are you working at 24.0 from a NTSC timebase- this is a really bad idea, the 24fps frame rate in the US is nearly always at 23.98 NOT 24.0.

Working at 24.0 will not allow for playout on a CRT or any realtime conversion, it can cause issues if you are not accustomed to handling the audio content "off-speed"

Re-timing the clips in compressor will result in timing errors, if you need 24.0 conform to the integer frame rate as the final step for output.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:03:10 pm

[gary adcock] "Re-timing the clips in compressor will result in timing errors, if you need 24.0 conform to the integer frame rate as the final step for output. "

How so? Compressor can do this on one step without offspeed audio. I use it a lot to go from 59.94 Hz to 50Hz material a lot. Never had anything come back.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]