FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe vs. LHi vs. 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Whittington
LHe vs. LHi vs. 3
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:20:40 pm

Hi all,

My edit station currently consists of a G5 PowerPC with a Kona LHe w/break out box.

We are (finally!) upgrading my tower to an 8-core MacPro w/all the works. Our IT guy asked me if the LHe card is compatible with the new MacPros. I guess I just assumed they were...has anyone had any issues?

Not sure if we need to upgrade to a Kona LHi or 3 at the moment. Can anyone give me a brief rundown on what the major advantages of those cards are over the LHe?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: LHe vs. LHi vs. 3
on Jul 8, 2009 at 5:46:04 pm

If it's truly the LHe, as in PCIe interface, then yes it should work, though you should call AJA Tech Support to confirm.

The LHi is the replacement to that model line.

LHe - HD to SD downconversion

LHi - SD to HD Upconversion, HD to SD Downconversion, 720 to 1080i Cross Conversion, 1080i to 720 Cross Conversion. Analog and Digital I/O, HDMI I/O

3 - All the same as the LHi WITHOUT the Analog and HDMI I/O, 2K support, Dual Link Support.

There's more differences but those are the basics.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jul 9, 2009 at 1:10:54 am

we have upgraded a few Quad G5s to MacPros, and have simply moved the KONA LHe cards, and everything has been fine. (re-install software, of course.)

The Quads were the only ones with PCIe cards, if you have a Dual-Proc G5, it will have a KONA LH (PCI-x) card, and it's about worthless now. :-(

That being said, I'm itching to get an LHi for all of the conversions it does!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 9, 2009 at 12:22:09 pm

[David Jahns] "That being said, I'm itching to get an LHi for all of the conversions it does! "

Don't forget LTC in and out as well.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jul 20, 2009 at 4:54:18 pm

[David Jahns] "The Quads were the only ones with PCIe cards"

just an fyi, there were Duals with PCIe as well sold at that same time. but they are rare. I just sold one

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]