FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3: Popping Audio w/ Genlock set to Video In

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Buss
Kona 3: Popping Audio w/ Genlock set to Video In
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:18:36 pm

As mentioned in the title, I'm getting a constant cacophony of clicks through my reference monitors when I have my Kona 3 Control Panel set to "Video In" for Genlock but not w/ Ref In or Freerun. Anyone know why?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona 3: Popping Audio w/ Genlock set to Video In
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:37:17 pm

NO clean video input signal or the input doens't match the frame buffer?

Return to posts index

Brad Buss
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:42:50 pm

Hmm, well both inputs are routed to the outputs of my digiBeta deck. I normally use the blackburst ref., but I'm rewiring my editbay. I'm not capturing, it clicks the audio all the time when hooked up like this. I'll just switch back to freerun for now, it was just unexpected.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:29:58 pm

Is your deck set to E-E? If so, try turning that off. If your deck is not on, then you don't have a clean input to lock to as well.

Return to posts index

Brad Buss
on Jun 22, 2009 at 9:48:12 pm

Yep, the deck was powered down. When on and set to PB the clicks are gone. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 23, 2009 at 3:56:25 pm

Hi -
you don't have to listen to me, but this is what will happen if you don't. You will use the Digi Beta and AJA to output your show, but you say "I'm rewiring my room, forget about EXT REF and locking both my AJA Kona and Dig Beta to my black gen for now".

You will output your show. About 10 minutes into it, you will start to see channel error conditions on your Digi Beta VTR. If you monitor the audio on your Beta VTR, you will start to hear audio distortion, and ultimately your audio will disappear. "What the hell is going on" you will say.

This was a situation with AVID and DVW-A500's long before FCP or AJA existed. Genlock both your AJA Kona and Digi Beta to the same black external reference, put the Kona into EXT REF, and not "video in", and you will have no issues.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:37:25 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You will output your show. About 10 minutes into it, you will start to see channel error conditions on your Digi Beta VTR. If you monitor the audio on your Beta VTR, you will start to hear audio distortion, and ultimately your audio will disappear. "What the hell is going on" you will say. "

I can vouch for this. Happened to me recently. I gave myself the Zelin treatment for letting it happen.

Return to posts index

Brad Buss
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:59:08 pm

Okay, I know better than to ignore advice from Zelin. Thanks for detailing the issues that I would encounter; now I know what to look out for in case I forget your advice in the future and talk myself into temporarily bypassing the sync loop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]