FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cal Digit HD Element + DroboPro + RTX400 JBOD = OVERKILL?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Dee
Cal Digit HD Element + DroboPro + RTX400 JBOD = OVERKILL?
on Jun 18, 2009 at 6:01:30 am

I am assembling a new storage system and am thinking of these 3 products working together to fulfill these 3 functions for my single edit system:

1 - Online fast raid 5 storage (HD Element - 4 drive)
2 - backup raid solution for either Time Machine or SuperDuper (Drobo Pro 8 drive)
3 - removable single Sata drives for off premises client media backup and flac + 96K music server storage (Weibitech RTX-400 4 drive JBOD via firewire 800)

Is this overkill or a well thought out solution?

I already bought the RTX-400, but for the price of the Drobo Pro, I can purchase a second HD Element expansion chassis, and end up with (eventually as I add larger drives) 10TB or more of even faster storage.

Or is it better to have half the amount of fast storage and the dedicated Drobo Pro with 8 bays that can expand well into the future always working silently in the background, or tons of storage now, and have to TIme Machine manually onto removable drives?

Thoughts? Screams?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Cal Digit HD Element + DroboPro + RTX400 JBOD = OVERKILL?
on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:14:41 pm

what is up with this Dobro crap. The HD Element is a fantastic hi end, hi speed SAS/SATA array for your FCP edit system. And the Wiebetech is becomming more and more popular as the least expensive way to get "long term" backups of your project. You bought a bigger model - most people will buy the single or dual chassis - remember, you are not editing off of the Wiebetech, you are just backing up project data for storage "just in case". But the Dobro - come on, if you have money, buy another chassis for the HD Element. You actually don't need anything else besides your Cal Digit and Wiebetech. You have more than most at this point.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]