FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH TBC

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Detjen
Kona LH TBC
on Jun 4, 2009 at 6:16:37 pm

Does the KonaLH have a built-in TBC?

I've been reading through the forums for information on how to best capture VHS into FCP. It's been stated in numerous posts that a TBC is highly recommended. I spoke with a representative at B&H to get their recommendation for a TBC. I described my work flow: composite out from a standard VHS player running into a TBC. The TBC output would feed into the composite input of the Kona LH card. In FCP I'd capture as a non-controllable device and use DV/NTSC as the codec. The B&H rep stated that the KonaLH card has built-in TBC on the analog inputs and I shouldn't need an external TBC. Is this true? I couldn't find any mention of "TBC" or "Time base corrector" in the KonaLH manual.

We have a job that will requires capturing 50+ hours of VHS material.

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona LH TBC
on Jun 4, 2009 at 7:24:24 pm

No, the LH does not have a TBC. You can get a cheap composite one, though, from someone like DataVideo.

http://www.datavideo.us/tbc-1000.html

If you have an older io, you can use that as well.

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:08:19 pm

Thanks for the information.

I was looking at the AV Toolbox AVT-8710 Multi-Standard Time Base Corrector. That might be the TBC for this job.

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Jun 5, 2009 at 1:51:04 am

Hi,

I like using a Panasonic or JVC prosumer S-VHS decks from the early 2000's. A number of their models had built in TBC/frame synchronizer. So, that, combined with using the S-video cable (even with normal VHS) really helps and cleans things up.

The problem is, its getting harder to find these decks. This could really become a problems for archives. I wouldnt use anything else for capturing VHS.

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Jun 5, 2009 at 1:56:19 pm

Below is information direct from an Aja customer support rep. It echoes some of what has been stated above about pro SVHS decks being best suited for playing back VHS:

"To answer your question it is true, the KONA LH, LHe and LHi have a built in time base corrector. However, given the fact you will be digitizing VHS footage I would recommend if you can, get your hands on a professional S-VHS machine to use as your source deck. These machines have a built in TBC and with digital noise reduction capability will make your VHS footage as good
and stable as it can get. VHS is inherently a very "noisy" signal and the digitizing process does an excellent job of enhancing picture noise! In addition, there are mechanically induced errors, due to the video heads hitting the tape and other idiosyncrasies in the tape path of the machine an internal TBC can correct where an outboard device has little or no effect. Some machines have drop out compensation as well to reduce the number of white flashes
caused by the oxide falling off the tape.

I offer this as a suggestion so you will be ingesting the best possible picture from your VHS source. With a KONA card you will have the best quality video I/O but we can only do so much to improve the picture."

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 6, 2009 at 3:28:20 pm

AJA allegedly writes -
"To answer your question it is true, the KONA LH, LHe and LHi have a built in time base corrector. However, given the fact you will be digitizing VHS footage I would recommend if you can, get your hands on a professional S-VHS machine to use as your source deck. These machines have a built in TBC and with digital noise reduction capability will make your VHS footage as good
and stable as it can get.

REPLY -
I question everything that AJA has stated in this response. Maybe I am getting old, but I am sure that I have been told by AJA employees that only the AJA I/O series has a built in TBC function on the COMPOSITE VIDEO INPUT only, and this function does NOT exist in the Kona LH, and LHe (never asked about the LHi).

I can assure you that unless you are refering to the very old $5000 Panasonic VHS VCR's that had true TBC's built in, the under $400 JVC Prosumer VHS VCR's that specificially stated they had built in time base correctors WILL NOT lock up an unstable VHS signal. For example, you CANNOT take one of these $400 JVC VHS VCR's with their "time base corrector" and go into an AJA analog to serial digital converter. I have done it in the past, and IT DOES NOT WORK - the signal is not stable enough.

To replace the sync interval of an unstable source, you do NOT use a time base corrector - you use a FRAME SYNCHRONIZER, sometimes refered to as a Frame sync TBC, like the Datavideo TBC1000 that was already mentioned in this thread. This unit (and other more expensive products) will frame grab each frame of video, and replace the entire blanking interval, and replace it with a clean sync signal, that can be sent into an analog to digital converter (like an AJA D10CE).

I have reviewed all the AJA .pdf manuals on the LH series, including the LHi, and I see NO MENTION of a front end time base correction processor for the composite video input. I question what you have been told by AJA, even if it was by an AJA employee.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Jun 7, 2009 at 8:56:46 pm

After a B&H rep said that the Kona LH had an interal TBC, I did the same--reviewed the user manual. I saw no mention of a TBC. That prompted me to get official word from AJA. I emailed customer support, and soon received a detailed reply (posted above). Good customer support I should say. Based upon replies in this post, and from AJA I agree that the best way to capture VHS would be playing out of a professional grade SVHS deck with all the benefits of TBC, drop-out compensator, noise reduction. The issue is finding a reliable one that fits our budget and timeline. We are in a crunch to get started capturing soon. A frame synchronizer is the most important component, since we can get by without noise reduction that a pro VHS deck might offer. I'll look into the DataVideo TBC 1000.

Anyone familiar with the AV Toolbox AVT-8710 Multi-Standard Time Base Corrector and whether it would be good for this job?

Thanks again for the information.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 7, 2009 at 10:05:39 pm

I just went to the AV toolbox website. I am sure that it will work fine. It looks like a "fancier" version of the TBC1000, but it's the same crap. Bare bones frame sync TBC for exactly this application. Note - it will probably soften your image a little (you'll live), and give you a 1 frame video delay, as most frame syncs (even the good ones) do.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:14:12 pm

Thanks again for the information!

Return to posts index

Chris Detjen
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:33:43 pm

Thought I'd add this. It is another response from a different AJA rep concerning whether the KonaLH has a TBC.

"The Kona-LH's frame buffer will clean up jittery video however it is not a full TBC. Since you have a lot of VHS tapes I suggest getting a TBC just to be sure. Or, if you have a analog VTR with a TBC (i.e. betcam SP) then loopthrough the VTR and then connect VTR video out to the Kona video in.

The symptom of a VHS video signal outside the lock range of the Kona-LH is dropped frames on capture.

--AJA Video Technical Support"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]