FORUMS: list search recent posts

That's a huge bummer

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vince Sanchez
That's a huge bummer
on May 30, 2009 at 5:02:00 am

Just received my new LHi card to replace my lhe. Have a client who needs a show uprezed. No problem,until I get to the driver installer "you need 10.5 or greater." Just great I'm on 1.4.11, our xsan and all the computers we have are tiger.
Gee I should have read the manual! Wait a second I did. I downloaded it before I bought the unit and it clearly says Tiger or Leopard. The website for the LHi says "Universal" and nothing else. Now I'm going to have to spend the weekend making an alternate boot disk, and trying to figure how to get it to integrate with the server, I tried before and that's one of the reasons we're still on Tiger
To say I'm disapponted with AJA for this is an understatement. We own and IO and seven various flavors of Kona. We're always trusted their info and now this, not too swift AJA

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: That's a huge bummer
on May 30, 2009 at 10:57:46 am

[Vince Sanchez] "Gee I should have read the manual! Wait a second I did. I downloaded it before I bought the unit and it clearly says Tiger or Leopard. "

Where? I just looked at the LHi page and when I click "Documents" to go to the manuals, it brings up the LH and LHe manuals, NOT the LHi.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on May 30, 2009 at 4:38:27 pm

That's true, but go to the lhi support page and then select documents and there's the manual that I downloaded.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2009 at 4:57:10 pm

Vince,
it's time to face facts. You will be stuck in front of computers, doing menial tasks like upgrading operating systems, reloading software, debugging problems, for the REST OF YOUR CAREER. There is no life, there is no family, it's just sit in front of that damn MAC or PC, and do it, over and over and over again. This time it's
OS-X 10.5.7, in a few months, it will be OS-X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and all your MAC G5's will not longer be able to be upgraded. And it will continue to change making your life miserable. You will look back on your life and say "all I did for 40 years was stare at a computer screen, and change operating systems". Just remember Vince, your wife and children were specifically designed to simply spend the money you earn, while you stare at those computer screens, upgrading operating systems.

If it weren't AJA, it would have been AVID, Adobe, or someone else.

Welcome to show business.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2009 at 6:30:02 pm

Warren has it figured out. He gets a cookie. And so do you Vince - lots of them, while you sit your fat behind in your Herman Miller Aeron editors chair, while you watch the OS-X 10.5 upgrade happen. And then the FCS2 install happen. OF course, the cookies are gone by now, and so you order McDonnalds/Chillis/Fridays/etc. and keep eating. And you will do this for the next 10 years. Then you die, and your wife inherits all the money that you worked your behind off to make a good life for her. And she starts dating the health spa trainer who has never looked at a computer screen in his life, and he is watching your TV. And driving your car. And your dead. All because you wanted to be an editor, or graphics artist, or something in a "creative" industry.

OK Vince, load in the OS-X Leopard disk. You will be dead soon. Start eating those cookies.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on May 31, 2009 at 6:25:57 pm

Bob, I'm sick and tired of you constantly sugar-coating everything!

:-)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on May 30, 2009 at 8:36:25 pm

"Just remember Vince, your wife and children were specifically designed to simply spend the money you earn, while you stare at those computer screens, upgrading operating systems."

That is the absolute Truth!

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on May 31, 2009 at 4:56:53 am

snow leopard is intel only?

"HE'S SUCH A GIRL" HD feature film
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.hessuchagirl.com
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 31, 2009 at 9:53:52 am

[Paul Provost] "snow leopard is intel only"

that's been the rumor. we'll have to wait for it to come out to find out for sure.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2009 at 2:12:53 pm

It ain't no rumor. Everyone gets screwed. Screwed, no different than when PCI-e was introduced by Apple, and everyone with PCI-X cards (like Kona 2, and disk drive host adaptors) could not migrate their hardware. So let's make this simple. If you have a perfectly working MAC G5, loaded with software, AJA Kona 2, and disk drives using a PCI-X card, YOU ARE SCREWED. End of story.

Nice, huh ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 31, 2009 at 6:57:39 pm

[Bob Zelin] "If you have a perfectly working MAC G5, loaded with software, AJA Kona 2, and disk drives using a PCI-X card, YOU ARE SCREWED. End of story. "

But what about that Mac 512 that I've jerry-rigged with the Radius card, duct tape, paper clips and speaker wire? Surely that should work?

And while we're at it, how about the Hacintosh that I made with my old toaster oven and an Amiga?

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2009 at 7:33:39 pm

throughtout my career - long before FCP, long before AJA, long before
AVID, there were jury rig products, that people tried to prolong the life of the incredibly expensive products that they had purchased. This for me goes back to the Sony VO5850, and the Time Code kits modification that existed for those that refused to purchase a Sony BVU800 3/4" VTR (at $12,000 for those that can't believe it - and that was before the TC option board).

So everyone, in every generation of computer (MAC and PC) had "acceleration boards", and "added RAM", and all kinds of useless crap (remember the recent promise of PCI-X to PCI-e bridge cards) to hang onto their expensive investment.

There is only one bottom line. YOU ARE SCREWED. END OF STORY. Having seen this type of behavior from manufacturers over 30 years, and seeing the resistance of users that own expensive perfectly working gear, that is now obsolete, but can't deal with the reality of this fact, makes me want to take a baseball bat to these people. ITS OVER - GET OVER IT. Your investment is done.

Of course, in 2009, things are cheap (cheap ! - I paid $295 for that card - its that cheap !). These people that whine over and over don't remember the days when you would spend $80,000 (in 1983, which is like $200,000 today), and your investment is now worthless.

Today, the "loss" is your personal time. SIT YOUR ASS DOWN, AND RELOAD THE DAMN UPDATE SOFTWARE. If you don't like this fact, then get out of the business.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Vince Sanchez
on Jun 1, 2009 at 6:51:07 am

Bob Zelin wrote:
Today, the "loss" is your personal time. SIT YOUR ASS DOWN, AND RELOAD THE DAMN UPDATE SOFTWARE. If you don't like this fact, then get out of the business."

While I totally agree with the above, that wasn't the intent of my original post. I have had to pass on upgrading to Leopard for a couple of reasons. One being some software I need doesn't play well with Leopard. The other more important is that I work with a company that has their server set up on Tiger and they don't want anything to possibly disrupt this.

I understand this and I sadly pass on new plugins and software that are Leopard only, its just the way it is. What my gripe is is that all information that I could get says the Lhi is Tiger compatible, based on that I purchased the product and didn't find out I was hosed until the driver wouldn't install. Client expects to walk in Monday and uprez some footage. Anytime I've bought a new AJA card I've given myself a weekend to get it up and running, this has always been more than enough time, their stuff is so bullet proof.

Part of my job is upgrading and installing the software on all our computers, so I'm not unfamiliar with that, time consuming but part of life.

So I hope you enjoyed your ranting and hopefully venting will add years to your life.

Thanks,
Vince Sanchez
Intel Quad Mac 2.66
AJA LHe
HD link
OSX 10.4.11
FCP Studio 2

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 1, 2009 at 8:42:19 pm

Hi Vince,
I am no networking expert, but I see no issue in having a OS-X 10.5 client (with the AJA Kona Lhi card) on a OS-X 10.4.11 server. This should work fine, and because you have to upconvert SD to HD, the time lost (becuase you would have to render otherwise) will be torture to you. Converting SDI to HD-SDI is one of the most compelling reasons to get an LHi. Do the OS-X 10.5 upgrade. Go for it. You will be fine, and your server won't care.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Jordan Woods
on Jun 8, 2009 at 5:20:34 pm

It's the whole XSAN and upgrding the entire system that they are sitting on. I totally understand this, since xsan was at its peak in 10.4.11 with XSAN 1.4.2. Too bad you can't grow that system... Vince--- you will have to speak to the powers that be about upgrading that system soon. I will place money your storage is running on 2-3 years. You will begin to see servers fail, drives fail, and controllers... in short order you'll ready for that LHi.

-jordan

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jun 4, 2009 at 3:18:08 pm

Here's a piece of info that may be useful for future upgrades.

Mac of All Trades... http://www.macofalltrades.com

Check it out!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]