FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona To Kona

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Roe
Kona To Kona
on May 30, 2009 at 2:11:21 am

Hi,

Having spent a while reading the posts here, I have just purchased a second kona 3 card in order to be able to go from one card to the other to do a high quality transfer from 23.98 to 29.97.

I have one question though, as I am setting this up tomorrow. How do i rig from one kona to the other?

Do I simply go from the SDI out to the SDI in?

If so, do i get some sort of BNC adapter so that both ends fit the kona?

If so, what is such an adapter called?

Thank You all for your genius!

Martin

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
Re: Kona To Kona
on May 30, 2009 at 3:27:25 am

You're not going to get 2 Konas in 1 machine. You'll need another macPro to install the second Kona Card. If you're using the breakout cables that come with the Kona card you'll need a BNC "barrel"
Not recommended in the HD world but it will work due to the short distance.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Martin Roe
on May 30, 2009 at 4:26:41 am

Hi Doug,

totally understood. I have two Kona's and two Mac Pro's sitting in front of me right now.

What would be the best way to connect the two of them together?

Whatever the correct cables are, I'd be happy to go get them.

Thanks,

Martin

Return to posts index

Martin Roe
on May 30, 2009 at 9:50:04 am

http://www.aja.com/news/user-stories_article.php?id=6

The workflow described in this article is the one that I am going to be setting up tomorrow.

I have read the manual and understand what I am going to be doing as much as one can before one does it.

As I understand it, I will need mini bnc to mini bnc so that I can connect one of my kona's sdi out to the other's sdi in.

Then I can do the uprez in realtime.

Any tips would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,
Martin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 30, 2009 at 5:02:02 pm

Martin -
please don't tell me that you have 2 MAC Pro's, 2 FCP licenses, 2 AJA Kona cards, and no cables. You own everything you need to make this happen. If you own any other video gear (please tell me that you own something), if you dont' have a BNC barrel connector (which you can get at Radio Shack for 3 bucks), you can use the looping input of a professional monitor at your place. Even if it's an analog monitor - Kona 1 SDI out into monitor Line A IN. Monitor Line A out (it's a loop inside the monitor, not an active circuit) into
Kona 2 SDI IN.

Please tell me you have other equipment besides these 2 MAC's and Konas.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 30, 2009 at 10:50:34 am

[Martin Roe] "Do I simply go from the SDI out to the SDI in? "

Yep. Standard BNC cable. SDI out of one box to SDI In of the other box.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 30, 2009 at 4:17:26 pm

If you don't have KBoxes, then the Konas come with mini MNC cables that go out to regulr size male BNC plug. YOu then take a F-F BNC barrell connector and connect it to the other Male BNC to mini BNC cable from the other Kona.

http://www.avcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VA-B...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Roe
on May 30, 2009 at 6:06:51 pm

Hi Guys,

thank you for the quick and helpful responses. I feel like I got a comment from all the big guns too, I have read so many posts by some of you over the years that it's quite exciting to get direct contact :)

Anyway, I am going to buy a k-box today and route it that way. I will let you know how it goes.

And I am sorry to disappoint you Bob, but I do in fact own, 4 Mac Pros, 3 FCP licenses, 2 Kona Cards, 1 CS4 license and exactly 0 cables of use.

I have a rack full of cables, but nothing that would help in the slightest.

I am a long time editor, but only started my own small post company in LA in February. We are expanding way faster than we thought and I am learning things I never knew I didn't know :)

I shall make sure to pick up a few BNC pieces to future proof myself from more silly questions like this!

Thanks,

Martin

Return to posts index

Martin Roe
on Jun 1, 2009 at 7:47:37 am

Just to let you know, i managed to make it work.

I have spent a happy day uprezzing NTSC to HD (with a lot of help from Shane's tutorial) and am well on my way to having an onlined doc.

Thanks again,

Martin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]