FORUMS: list search recent posts

stripe set dropping frames

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason levy
stripe set dropping frames
on May 20, 2009 at 4:51:56 pm

Hmm. Yes we have a nice SAS raid for most of our online work but as a secondary system I've just got 2 internal sata drives in the quad core mac pro that I've set up as a raid using disk utility. When I try to output a prores 720 sequence from that I get dropped frames.

Oddly enough I can master the same sequence from a firewire 800 single drive on the same system. Odd, no?

Using FCP, Kona 3, FCP, all software newly refreshed.

I wonder why the stripped drives drop frames? It should be plenty fast enough for prores? Any thoughts?

jason

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: stripe set dropping frames
on May 20, 2009 at 10:13:06 pm

[jason levy] "I wonder why the stripped drives drop frames? It should be plenty fast enough for prores? Any thoughts? "

A single sata drive should be fast enough for ProRes 720p60.
your array was formated How?? ( raid one, mirrored, concatenated or striped - the default is mirrored)

- what are the drives and how fast (it is in the system profile)

[jason levy] "Using FCP, Kona 3, FCP, all software newly refreshed. "

did you make sure to update everything- like the firmware on the card?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 21, 2009 at 4:06:12 pm

Gary, see my reply to Bob below. Not using a card for this setup. The drives are in the Mac Pro's internal bays. THanks for taking the time to respond.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 20, 2009 at 10:19:18 pm

open AJA System Test in AJA Utilities, and run it on your internal stripped set. Then run it on your external FW800 drive. If your two internal SATA drives are not at least twice as fast as your FW800 drive, you have bad SATA drives, or you did something wrong.
Utilities like AJA System Test exist for this very reason - to test the speed of your drives. If you are not getting AT LEAST 120Mb/sec with your internal sata drives (RAID 0) - you've got problems with these drives, or the way you set them up.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 21, 2009 at 4:05:33 pm

The two internals are striped raid 0. Getting around 170 mbs for read and write. Should be plenty fast enough for prores but I cannot master from this array without final cut reporting dropped frames... Not right away but eventually. I can't get more than around 5 minutes laid down before it aborts.

Can't figure it out.

Thanks for taking the time...

jason

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 21, 2009 at 6:21:18 pm

a corrupt project or sequence will give you dropped frames as well. No one wants to ever hear this, but it's true.

This is my advice.
Close your project
Open a new project.
Open Easy Setup, and select a new ProRes422HQ setting in Easy Setups.
Open a new sequence
Digitize (log and capture) into your new project, using the 2 internal SATA drives.

Does it work ?

No one ever wants to do this test, because they are in the middle of a project, and "I HAVE TO GET MY PROJECT TO WORK". You need to pull back, forget your project, and do a fresh clean test. If you are getting 170Mb/sec, you can do ProRes422HQ all day long.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 21, 2009 at 6:25:31 pm

Yeah I know.

We'll investigate the corrupt project idea. I'm open to anything.. Can't understand why it doesn't work.

Actually it's a series and the online editor has tried it on several of the shows ergo several FCP projects.

My bright idea was to keep the original material on the raid 5 sas and just render on to this simple 2 drive raid.. so if the unprotected raid 0 goes down it's just a re-render...

Thanks for taking the time Bob..

j.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 21, 2009 at 10:36:53 pm

by the time it took you to respond to my post, you could have tried this test.

Jason - STOP THINKING. Stop working on your project. I am writing you eastern time 6:30pm. It's "after hours". RIGHT NOW, capture material into a NEW PROJECT. JUST DO IT. Don't do anything else. don't proceed with your project. FORGET YOUR PROJECT. Just do the test. Dont' write back to Creative Cow until you have simply opened a new project, and captured 5 minutes of media into your new project.

CAN YOU DO THIS JASON ? Forget your life, forget your family, forget your children, forget your parents, forget your softball game, forget your girlfriend. JUST DIGITIZE SOME DAMN MATERIAL into a new project. I know that you can do it Jason - I am rooting for you. I am here, holding my breath, waiting for you to respond.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

jason levy
on May 22, 2009 at 2:09:19 pm

I can't forget my kid. She's too cute.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 23, 2009 at 4:10:46 pm

reply -
I can't forget my kid. She's too cute.

When she is crying, saying "daddy daddy, I hate you, why can't I have my new toy" - it's because you are too busy playing with her, instead of MAKING A LIVING WITH YOUR EDITING SYSTEM, so you can buy her the new toy.

Get off your ass, and try these tests. Have fun with your daughter after your equipment is working, and you can properly support your family.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]