FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skype vs. Kona3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ingrassia
Skype vs. Kona3
on May 14, 2009 at 3:56:38 pm

I have a Kona3 Card installed in a MacPro tower. When I open Skype, the Kona3 capture formats are recognized by Skype (we've used this to do video conferencing over Skype with our JVC GY-HD250). The problem is that Skype won't recognize a standard Logitech webcam, while iChat sees it just fine. I wonder if the Kona3 card is somehow over-riding the webcam.

Is there a way to temporarily "shut off" the Kona card without removing it from the tower?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Skype vs. Kona3
on May 14, 2009 at 6:30:20 pm

Uninstall the drivers.

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on May 14, 2009 at 6:39:26 pm

I'll check that out, but again, sounds like a pain in the butt.

There's no simple "turn on, turn off" mechanism (like inside the AJA Control Panel, for example)?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2009 at 6:44:58 pm

Not that I know of. Uninstall the drivers allows you to NOT open up the machine though.

Try it once and see what happens. If it fixes it, great, if not, then back to the drawing board.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on May 14, 2009 at 7:03:04 pm

I called AJA to get their take, and they basically said the same thing. There's no "on/off" switch, so the only way to disable Skype's connection to the card is to uninstall the drivers or remove the card.

I'm certainly not going to uninstall/reinstall the drivers every time I want to chat with someone, so it looks like Skype is out. The webcam works fine with iChat, but all my co-workers and clients are on Skype.

Back to the drawing board, as you said.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 14, 2009 at 7:53:05 pm

Sounds like a prefect reason to get a laptop.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2009 at 7:55:36 pm

What happens if you unplug and replug the webcam?

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on May 14, 2009 at 7:56:58 pm

Nothing happens. The webcam still doesn't show up in the list of available cameras in Skype.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2009 at 7:58:40 pm

Try to see if there are drivers for it.

I just tried it with a laptop and the built in cam. The AJA ioHD drivers show up, but so does the "built-in iSight". I do not have a webcam to test on my KOna card/MacPro

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 14, 2009 at 8:02:54 pm

This is the coolest thing since sliced bologna. I am playing out my Kona in to my ioHD and Skype is seeing it. Thanks for directing me to this 'feature'.

Return to posts index

Michael Zimbard
on May 15, 2009 at 2:43:09 am

Do you mean you're streaming your ioHD output through Skype?? Very sweet!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 15, 2009 at 4:30:22 am

[Michael Zimbard] "Do you mean you're streaming your ioHD output through Skype??"

Kona output, using the ioHD input as a 'webcam' or I guess more accurately, a Quicktime device.

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on May 15, 2009 at 9:24:01 pm

Very cool indeed. Will need to try that one out. Great find!

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 16, 2009 at 1:28:55 am

HAHA funny how one person's problem is another's new toy!

Great find indeed!

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on May 29, 2009 at 1:55:41 am

Did you try uninstalling the Kona drivers? Was that the problem or not?

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on May 29, 2009 at 1:13:53 pm

I did confirm wih AJA that that was the problem, however, I don't want to go through the ordeal of uninstalling the drivers every time I want to make a Skype call, then having to reinstall them afterwards.

In the end I just bought a USB microphone for my computer, so at least I can talk via Skype. The video would be nice, just not worth the hassle right now.

Probably my best option for a webcam would to find a super cheap mini-DV camera, and try to connect it via the Kona3 card. I think Skype would recognize it, since all it seems to find is what's coming through the card.

I'm glad that my problem has been able to help others realize the Skype-Kona connection. We've been using it for web conferencing for quite some time, and it works great, especially given that it's free.

Return to posts index

Gary Wieland
on Aug 24, 2009 at 10:04:24 pm

Had the same problem with the latest Skype (version 2.8.0.659). My iSight camera did not appear in the video camera drop-down in Skype preferences. I went back to the previous beta (version 2.7.0.49) and violÄ the isight is back in the list and everything works well.
You can find this older version at the following link:
https://developer.skype.com/Download/OldVersionsCopy?highlight=%28old%29%7C...

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Aug 25, 2009 at 3:02:04 pm

You're right, it works perfectly now. I'm glad to know that it's a Skype version issue, and nothing's wrong with the Kona card.

Thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Feb 24, 2010 at 2:16:12 pm

Hello again to everyone who contributed to the "Skype vs. Kona3" thread. I have an exciting update. Yesterday, quite by accident, I discovered that Skype 2.8 now recognizes my web cam, while also recognizing my HD camera through the Kona card. No more having to switch to an older version to use my webcam!

I'm assuming that sometime between last summer and now Skype released an update that solved the problem. I just never realized it til now.

For reference, I'm on Skype version 2.8.0.659

Return to posts index

Gary Wieland
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:25:13 am

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately it still does not work for me. Have the latest Skype (2.8.0.851) and the KONA 7.5 drivers. Still no video choice for the iSight camera in Skype. However there is now an audio input choice for the iSight so I can still use audio on Skype calls.

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on Sep 26, 2010 at 8:51:35 pm

Hello,
I have the same problem :
It does'nt work with Skype 2.7
t does'nt work with Skype 2.8.0.851
Please help me
Nhan

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Sep 26, 2010 at 9:51:21 pm

Down-grading to Skype v7 fixed the problem for me. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

I'll check into it a little more when I get into the office tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on Sep 26, 2010 at 10:53:14 pm

HI
You wrote Skype v7. Did you mean Skype Version 2.7 ? I tried 2.7 and it did'nt work.

Nhan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 27, 2010 at 12:14:44 am

What do you mean by 'same problem'? Webcam doens't show up?

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:21:17 pm

Yes, I meant v2.7.

After looking into the version this morning, I remembered that a while ago I was able to get v2.8 to work with my Logitech webcam. I'm not sure what caused it to start working, maybe a Skype update?

As of right now, I'm running Skype v2.8.0.659, and I'm able to switch between both video feeds (from my HD camera connected via the Kona3 Card, and also my Logitech Webcam).

Return to posts index

Nhan Nguyen Dinh
on Sep 28, 2010 at 5:44:33 pm

In the place of Logitech camera, I have Aja Kona and no Image taken bay Logitech camera
Best regards
Nhan

Return to posts index

James Feld
on Apr 2, 2013 at 6:55:15 pm

Tried this with a MacPro 1,1 OS-10.7.5, Kona driver 3.4.4, Skype v3.6 did not pass any video but Audio worked through Kona I/O. Downgraded Skype to v3.3 and HD-SDI video worked from Kona to Skype. Can not get Skype inbound video to pass out through Kona output. Only get input pass through no matter what the Kona default video setting is.
JFeld

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]