2nd Monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike faulkner
2nd Monitor
on May 13, 2009 at 8:06:42 pm

I have small studio with limited space, I currently have
1 x Apple 23" display
1 x small 10" CRT monitor , connected via a Kona LHe card, which I don't always use

I have been thinking about buying a second Apple 23" display to give me more canvas area for editing
but then I read Bob Zelin's article on calibration and thought maybe I should get Dell 2407

"he absolute cheapest "very good" quality HD-only monitor is the Dell 2407WFP, that sells for around $700. You use the analog HD YPbPr signal from your video card to feed the RCA inputs of this monitor. It works just fine"

my questions are should I connect directly [keeping the kona connected to CRT monitor ]

or via Kona card [this way I would really be able to have double canvas area

also can't find Dell 2407WFP for sale in UK
only Dell 2408WFP or Dell 2409WFP what the difference and is there some other monitors I should look at?

thanks for your help
Mikef

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 2nd Monitor
on May 14, 2009 at 12:41:02 am

Mike -
every few months, everything becomes obsolete, and everything becomes discontinued. I never even recall writing an article on calibration. The Dell 2407 has long been discontinued, and the 2408 is about to be discontinued. It is available today on the DELL website for about $475, which is an amazing low price. The 2409 will be the new model, that replaces the 2407 and 2408.

you write -
I have been thinking about buying a second Apple 23" display to give me more canvas area for editing
but then I read Bob Zelin's article on calibration and thought maybe I should get Dell 2407 -

reply - the 23" Apple Cinema display is discontinued.

my questions are should I connect directly [keeping the kona connected to CRT monitor ]
or via Kona card [this way I would really be able to have double canvas area

REPLY - easy answer. with the Dell, you have a DVI port, to hook up to your second DVI output of your MAC (so you can have all the real estate you want for your MAC), AND you have analog Y Pb Pr inputs, s you can hookup your Kona Out Y Pb Pr to it, and instantly switch to the full screen HD output of the Kona. And at $475, if you don't do this RIGHT NOW, just kill yourself, becuase if this is not cheap enough, then nothing is cheap enough.

also can't find Dell 2407WFP for sale in UK
only Dell 2408WFP or Dell 2409WFP what the difference and is there some other monitors I should look at?

Get the 2408WFP RIGHT NOW on the DELL site for under $500 US.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

mike faulkner
on May 14, 2009 at 12:59:43 am

hi bob
thanks for getting back to me, I don't always get a reply
I sometimes think I am asking stupid questions

here is the link to your great article
http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-importance-of-monitor-calibrati...
I have been lazy on the calibration side of things

now I have adjusted the studio have room

your idea sounds great i am going to check now UK costs

REPLY - easy answer. with the Dell, you have a DVI port, to hook up to your second DVI output of your MAC (so you can have all the real estate you want for your MAC), AND you have analog Y Pb Pr inputs, s you can hookup your Kona Out Y Pb Pr to it, and instantly switch to the full screen HD output of the Kona. And at $475, if you don't do this RIGHT NOW, just kill yourself, becuase if this is not cheap enough, then nothing is cheap enough.

would I simply switch in FCP?
and I forgot to mention I have a Sony HDV deck where does that fit in?

also this probably is the stupid questions
when I first dabbled in HD [pre Pro Res] i was told to buy Kona LHe
I have used for previewing on 9" CRT but not much else.

do I really need this card? I was considering selling
or by buying Dell monitor completes my system?

also the new 24" Apple display how does that rate with the Dell?

thanks
mike

Return to posts index

mike faulkner
on May 14, 2009 at 1:05:15 am

just found it in uk for £365.00

apple 24" is £552.00 !!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]