FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD downcoverting too small into NTSC

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
HD downcoverting too small into NTSC
on May 6, 2009 at 9:45:03 pm

I've a 4:3 NTSC program that I upconverted to 1080i (it is full frame top to bottom w/blank image left and right). I then color corrected and edited it.
I cannot seem to get it back to a full frame 4:3 down covert out of the Kona SDI outputs. I tried al the options on the conversion tab (amorphic, crop and letter box) of the Kona 3 control Panel Format menu and none make a difference. It seems to play out at around 550 by 300 pixels in NTSC. I tried both SDI outputs. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: HD downcoverting too small into NTSC
on May 7, 2009 at 2:07:20 am

I don't get it. Why are you upconverting, only to downconvert again? If you need to deliver your SD program in both SD & HD, you should finish it in SD & only upconvert the final output.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 7, 2009 at 3:49:15 am

your are right. I didn't realize that I'd upconverted until after I'd captured the footage. Guess I could render it all in Compressor but shouldn't this work in realtime?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 7, 2009 at 11:58:24 am

[Ted Joyce] "your are right. I didn't realize that I'd upconverted until after I'd captured the footage. Guess I could render it all in Compressor but shouldn't this work in realtime? "

Make sure FCP is still set to 1080i. If you changed it to SD, that's a problem.

In the AJA Control Panel, make sure the Primary Format is 1080i / 29.97 and the Secondary Format is 525.

For the output to your VTR, make sure you have the Secondary output selected.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on May 7, 2009 at 4:18:50 pm

Dear Walter,
That was it! I didn't have FC set to the file's native rate (it was 1080P not 1080i). Then when I set the secondary downcoversion to crop it works like a charm.

thanks so much!
Ted

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]