FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac sound output recommendation

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Mac sound output recommendation
on May 3, 2009 at 1:06:26 am

How are most people configuring their systems for sound output.

I have had serious problems with audio out of my Mac, there is a lot of static/distortion when I'm playing files out with DVDSP, DVD Player, Soundtrack Pro, QT Player, etc. I'm sitting hear drinking a glass of wine and think maybe setting sound output to the AJA Kona card, right off the bat, it seems to have cleared up the problem, I left the alert sound effects to be played through the internal speakers.

Is this the correct setup or will it create other problems?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Mac sound output recommendation
on May 3, 2009 at 1:14:15 am

All audio plays through the AJA Kona cards here.

We kill all the alert sounds. They're just annoying.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Michael Sacci
on May 3, 2009 at 2:10:04 am

Thanks.

If I kill the alert sounds, how will I know when I do something wrong? Oh, that's what the wife is here for. :-)

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on May 3, 2009 at 2:16:44 am

I play all edit related audio through my Kona, all other computer audio through the Mac's audio out. Both go through the same mixer to the same speakers.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 3, 2009 at 6:15:27 pm

I only run sounds out of the Kona that officially support video/audio out. Which is FCP/AE/Motion/STP and the like.

DVDSP, iTunes, Quicktime or whatever is all run through the Mac audio out in to my mixer/house sound.

I don't want duck sounds on my masters.

Que Syrah Shiraz.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 3, 2009 at 6:56:07 pm

if you dont' have a mixer on your system, get one. You need the mixer to monitor the output of your Kona, MAC audio, do scratch mic vo's, and monitor the output of all of your VTR's. People always want to try to avoid buying a mixer - they are so cheap these days, I can never understand why.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on May 3, 2009 at 10:57:31 pm

I do have a mixer but everything from my system's line out is all jacked up. Running all sounds through the Kona card seems to clear that up. I would change the settings before doing an ETT

Return to posts index

Kent Stipp
on May 4, 2009 at 3:17:20 pm

I run all my audio thru my Kona in and out of my Mixer allowing me to do all my VO's
scratch playback or anything else I need. those annoying alerts hate them and have them turned off.
While the mixer in my scenario is needed as I use it in both my audio and video sides it is not 100% needed depending on what you are doing.
I would suggest turning off your alert sounds and see how things go for you from there

Kent Stipp
Life Begins at 155mph
Ki PRO Lens to Post
3am Studios llc.
3amstudios.org
Sharedsummitsfever.com

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on May 4, 2009 at 4:10:29 pm

[Michael Sacci] "I do have a mixer but everything from my system's line out is all jacked up. "

Sounds like you are plugging into a mic level input, and should be plugging into a line level input. Dose your mixer have either a line/mic level switch on the input, or dedicated mic and dedicated line inputs, or are they all mic level?

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 5, 2009 at 8:53:48 pm

I, too, monitor via the K3 and through a Yamaha mixer. But I have trusty $15 stereo speakers to listen directly from the MacPro. There is value to listening to a mix through cheap speakers.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on May 20, 2009 at 5:23:18 pm

I just take the line out from my mac and run it through the tape input on my mixer. way too paranoid of an errant alert or email sound or whatever winding up on a master.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]