FORUMS: list search recent posts

KOna3 Newbie Questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Burgess
KOna3 Newbie Questions
on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:31:43 pm

I have a Kona3 with the breakout box,
I have updated the latest control panel and firmware from the Kona site.

I am using FCP latest version.

I am trying to use the card to convert SD and some HDV video files on my discs to a standard HD format that is also stored on the hard disc.

It the moment I cannot even get the option of Macintosh Desktop in Control screen, not even greyed out.

I have a pile of SD tapes as well as HDV tapes from a Sony Z1. I now use the SonyEX1 and so want to work with all the sources in the same format.

Has anyone any idea what I am doing wrong?

Paul

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: KOna3 Newbie Questions
on Apr 28, 2009 at 5:19:20 pm

Simply select the appropriate HD easy setup from within FCP, then go to your Control Panel. Set your primary format to 1080i and your secondary format to 525i. You should then see an up convert signal on the appropriate input. GO back to FCP and capture.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Apr 28, 2009 at 7:47:42 pm

Thank you.
I only have firwire to input the hdv footage -so in effect I am reading from disc not capturing.

I do not have an SDI output from the Z1.

Paul

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 28, 2009 at 7:54:10 pm

[Paul Burgess] "I only have firwire to input the hdv footage -so in effect I am reading from disc not capturing. "

Woops, wrong post on that first one.

You need an AJA A/D convert to get your analog HD and audio to HDSDI w/embedded aduio. The HD10AVA will work for you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Apr 28, 2009 at 8:54:53 pm

Ok - so the HD10AVA takes my component out of the Z1 and converts to SDI to input to the Kona 3 - then with FXP I can capture the converted input to a disc on the Mac - right?I do not need to go out through the Kona 3 .... correct?

Paul

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
Firewire HDV inputs workable on Kona3 System?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:37:18 pm

Can't one just use use your Mac's firewire port to input HDV from your Sony Z1 camera? (the K3 doesn't have analog HD inputs) I'm getting ready to capture some Z1 HDV & hope to do that. Then drop the footage into a timeline to covert.

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
Re: Firewire HDV inputs workable on Kona3 System?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:41:18 pm

Yes I can do that but that is not using the higher quality conversion available with the Kona 3.... right?

I understand now that the Kona 3 only converts on capture ..... that is what I now understand anyway.

So I now have to buy a HD10AVA which here in the UK is about $1200 USA.

Paul

Return to posts index

Kent Stipp
on Apr 29, 2009 at 7:37:27 pm

there is no reason that you can not still bring your footage in Firewire.
But remember it is compressed.

Kent Stipp
Life Begins at 155mph
Ki PRO Lens to Post
3am Studios llc.
3amstudios.org
Sharedsummitsfever.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 29, 2009 at 8:08:51 pm

[Kent Stipp] "here is no reason that you can not still bring your footage in Firewire.
But remember it is compressed. "

But he has to mix and match a ton of different formats, it easiet to do this on the way in and not edit in HDV.

Yes, you can bring your footage in via firewire, but I wouldn't recommend it in this case. I'd use ProRes for both the HDV and the upconverts. I would then take the XDCam HD stuff and process that through compressor. You will now have a unified ProRes timeline and avoid all the long GOP rendering and artifacts.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 28, 2009 at 10:02:09 pm

[Paul Burgess] "then with FXP I can capture the converted input to a disc on the Mac - right?I do not need to go out through the Kona 3 .... correct? "

I am not following what you are saying here.

You take the AVA and that will basically turn your analog deck into an HDSDI with embedded audio deck.

You capture using that via the Kona3.

Make sense? THis is way you can then upconvert whatever you need to the same codec as your captured HDV footage. The EX1 you will have to transcode in software. I'd suggest using ProRes for your unified capture and edit codec.

Making more sense?

Also, you might want to consider the new LHi which has all of these features in one card for $1495 US. If you need to keep your Kona 3, then the AVA is for you. Either way, you won't go wrong.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Apr 28, 2009 at 11:43:17 pm

What I have been trying to do is use the Kona 3 to up convert files already captured to my hard disc,

That I now understand is not possible because the Kona3 only converts on capture - is that right?

Sp given that is the case, as you say, I have to buy an AVA card to turn my Z1m whih I use as the deck in this case, into an SDI input into the Kona 3 - correct?

Then FCP will capture the converted video so that it now sits on the hard disc ready for FCP editing. Correct?

I have no problem with the EX1 files.

I was going wrong in thinking that the Kona 3 could do the conversion without capturing.

It does not make any sense for me to spend a few more thousand dollars on the LHi as its cheaper to buy the AVAm I already have the Kona3.... agreed?

Thank you for your tolerance in answering these basic questions.

Paul

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:07:49 am

[Paul Burgess] " I now understand is not possible because the Kona3 only converts on capture - is that right? "

Correct, the Kona3 is a video capture card- it handles these functions while in operation.

[Paul Burgess] "It does not make any sense for me to spend a few more thousand dollars on the LHi as its cheaper to buy the AVAm I already have the Kona3.... agreed? "

Paul the AVA10HD is a converter that will allow you to capture from analog audio and video sources using the Kona3 you already have.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Apr 29, 2009 at 6:12:11 am

Thank you - it is clear now.

One more question.
Here in the UK there is not much difference in price between purchasing the AVA and purchasing the Matrox MX02, which seems to have all the options and even frame rate conversion plus portability.

Do you know if there is a difference in the quality of the conversion between the Kona 3 using the AVA to get and SDI input and the Matrox MX02?

Currently I am tempted to take the Matrox MX02 route.

Paul

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Apr 29, 2009 at 3:06:21 pm

Paul,
If you bought your AJA KONA 3 from a qualified and authorized dealer, they should have really asked you what you wanted to use the device for - apologies if this did not happen. As I understand it, you want to ingest material from the HDV camera you own which only has component analog output. If this is the case, yes, you would need an analog to digital converter, such as the AJA HD10AVA as noted, to get the analog signal into the KONA 3 product. Details on this can be found in a whitepaper on the AJA website:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/AJA_whitepaper_HD10AVA.pdf

Second, if you did purchase your AJA product from an authorized reseller within the last thirty days, then they will likely be willing to exchange the KONA 3 for the new AJA KONA LHi product which has analog input as well as the upconversion capability and is priced below the MSRP of the Matrox MXO2 product.

If you have any issues with reaching your reseller or have any further technical questions, feel free to contact AJA directly via phone or email.

Hope this information is helpful.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Paul Burgess
on Apr 29, 2009 at 3:25:26 pm

Thank you.

I was mis-advised and have sent you an email explaining the situation.

Paul

Return to posts index

Jesse Green
on May 5, 2009 at 5:01:26 am

I have had great success with my Sony M35 HDV deck which has hd sdi out, it upconverts all my DV and even my home DV tapes to full HD no problem through a Kona 3 card. still looks like upconverted stuff but atleast I have my time code through firewire and no rendering using the 1080i Pro Res HQ settings.

Jesse

PowerPC G5, 4 x 2.5 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23'.

Pro Tools HD 1, 192 I/O, D-Command Main, Neumann TLM 193, PowerPC G5, 4 x 2.5 GHZ, 6 GB Ram.

17' Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 6GB Ram.

24' iMac, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB Ram.

PowerPC G5, 2 x 2 Ghz, 6 GB Ram.

Leopard 10.5.x

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]