FORUMS: list search recent posts

red, green, blue, synch

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Jodry
red, green, blue, synch
on Apr 25, 2009 at 5:12:49 pm

I am looking for a red, green, blue, synch, camera capture card, AJA Kona or otherwise. educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: red, green, blue, synch
on Apr 25, 2009 at 6:31:28 pm

[Fred Jodry] "I am looking for a red, green, blue, synch, camera capture card, AJA Kona or otherwise. educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com"

why don;'t you explain what you are trying to do..

that connection sounds as if you are trying to capture from a VGA / DVI converted computer source- if so there are some inherent issues involved since that is NOT a video signal.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 30, 2009 at 2:46:34 pm

Hi, Gary, I am capturing from video. The originals are B/W, or, red, green, blue, and synch (various forms of combined and non- combined blanking and synch are available out of the mixer board), hopefully after the gamma corrector so the computer won`t have to do any rendering it absolutely doesn`t have to do. The synch most of the time is regular RS-170A. Naturally our pair of new guys on the camera and set- up box always hit their head...(phones) on the ceiling of the pickup car bigtime when either our VTR guy or studio returns some (my technical name, "video from Paris") into the synch generator`s genlock input and makes all the deflection yokes in the camera or cameras sound like BB`s getting dropped into a racing Osterizer. Fortunately the VTR and computer don`t have to quit their jobs and make it a clean sweep although bigger jobs and tortures foisted on the same little mice are in the planning stage.

The previous posts are below.
[Fred Jodry] "I am looking for a red, green, blue, synch, camera capture card, AJA Kona or otherwise. educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com"

why don;'t you explain what you are trying to do..

that connection sounds as if you are trying to capture from a VGA / DVI converted computer source- if so there are some inherent issues involved since that is NOT a video signal.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2009 at 3:13:40 pm

[Fred Jodry] " I am capturing from video. The originals are B/W, or, red, green, blue, and synch (various forms of combined and non- combined blanking and synch are available out of the mixer board)"

Fred this is still confusing to me

Are we talking about about Component Video (YCbCr)+ timecode or are you saying RGB+W for sync (called 4 wire) which is used by AV components for projection via folsom or other systems.

What mixer are you using?
HD or SD signal is to be captured?
is there a device like a 1024 in the mix somewhere?

Video is YUV and rarely captured or delivered as an RGB signal, and video Sync is traditionally carried over 9pin serial or as LTC/VITC embedded in the digital forms.

It should make no difference whether it is B&W or Color video, it is still a Baseband YUV signal.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Apr 30, 2009 at 4:51:13 pm

Gary, I use regular Red, Green, Blue, Synch, into the mixer board instead cR (red minus luminance, R-Y), cB (B-Y), Y, or it`s almost equally difficult R, B, G + S version. Using these difficult versions means that two types of clamper circuits, one type for the red and blue differentials, and a much different type for the green or luminance because the synch would have to be stripped and maybe reinserted right away and really requiring two clampers here, would have to be built onto nearly every input and output of the mixer and obviously asked for only by people who have no brains (hence not TV people). I`d rather make tin toys for my kids at my soldering desk or do my regular work than make crazy circuits for (...no...) reasons. It`s easier to make mixer circuitry if one doesn`t have to make extra clampers of two types that can`t work evenly anyway. We presently use two mixer boards. Each identically uses switches and mixing, has a few test inputs as well as black or blank, and handles both audio and video. I also spaced in a pair of master toggle switches specifically for turning on low power fans such as on the cameraman and for a utility. The transistorized one is awfully regular but can go sour as fast as baby`s formula. The vacuum tube one burns only a watt a tube but it`s circuits would outlast (and outperform) the Roman Empire without blowing a single tube because there`s a resistor on each heater and has the the advantage that I can stick any and every microphone whatsoever into it and hear nothing but its sound, something the transistorized one can`t really do. Which one gets stored or which one gets used has to do with whether the mixerman doesn`t mind the bottom of the vacuum tubes one touching the tops of his knees as well as which one is maintained clean at the time. I made the mixing boards as well as importantly, their cables and identically sized power supplies. Hence no model names.
The post at the top of the topic was,
I am looking for a red, green, blue, synch, camera capture card, AJA Kona or otherwise. educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2009 at 5:05:22 pm

[Fred Jodry] "The post at the top of the topic was,
I am looking for a red, green, blue, synch, camera capture card, AJA Kona or otherwise. "

Fred,
To directly answer your question, I do not know of any video capture card for the mac that supports the signal out in the manner you are using.

I am sure there are customized solutions for this on the windows side,but no off the shelf video card I know of on the mac side accepts RGB+sync in the manner you are sending it.

I am saying because that does not appear to be a standard SMPTE video signal path

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]