FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Tools and KONA LH

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Maloney
Pro Tools and KONA LH
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:04:29 pm

Curious. I'm having issues with Pro Tools. The DigiDesign folks don't provide support for a KONA LH card in the same Mac with their product. (They do however, provide support for Black Magic)

Is anyone running Pro Tools on a G5 and a KONA LH card?

I have found it convenient to mix all my audio in Pro Tools and import back into FCP. I could use a different computer for one of the other but would prefer they both reside on the same unit.

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
maloneymarketinggroup.com
beartoothrecording.com
mmg.bz

Return to posts index

Kent Stipp
Re: Pro Tools and KONA LH
on Apr 25, 2009 at 9:28:28 pm

how you doing?
I do basically just that. I have 2 boot drives on my Mac Pro oe specifically for Pro tools and one for Final cut. I cut all my audio in Pro tools and then when I need it I can import into Final Cut. I have an LhE card and an IoHD and to date have not had an issue

Life Begins at 155mph
Catch it edit it View it
3am Studios llc.
3amstudios.org
Sharedsummitsfever.com

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Apr 25, 2009 at 9:52:39 pm

That's a good concept. Two boot drives. I guess the question arises: how did you come to that decision? I'm going to try your application.

I'll be back!

Mike Maloney

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
beartoothrecording.com
mmg.bz

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:46:00 pm

So, Protools works on an LHe card for I/O? Why do you need a dual boot approach to run FCP and protools on the same machine?

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:53:09 pm

I don't know, exactly, other than to say I tried this and it did not work for me. I'm using an LH card, which is the X slot version. That could be the problem. Basically, I cannot run Pro Tools and use a KONA card on the same computer.

It was something that suddenly started, which is the thing that bugs me. Trying a simple AIFF import into Pro Tools kept crashing the program. So, I upgraded to V. 8.0 LE thinking that might be a solution. No. It was not.

I spoke at length with DigiDesign who suggested it might be one of the cards and as it turns out, take out the KONA card, all is well with Pro Tools. Put KONA LH back and crash.

I did a very serious bit of work with the DigiDesign people on my system, over an hour on their Pro Axcess Line.

Ultimately, for me, I don't have the right combination of product. And while it's disappointing, I am sure that a newer KONA card or if DigiDesign (an Avid Company) decides it wants to address it, there'll be a fix one day.

In the meantime, I run Pro Tools 7.4 on a G4 at another work station and import files the old fashion way.

Mike Maloney

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
beartoothrecording.com
mmg.bz

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Apr 27, 2009 at 3:47:05 am

I'm currently running an M-Box mini with Protools 8.0 on my system with a Kona LHe card without issue.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Apr 27, 2009 at 12:41:30 pm

That's encouraging.

My set up is a Digi002 rack and the KONA is PCI-X.

MM

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
beartoothrecording.com
mmg.bz

Return to posts index

Kent Stipp
on Apr 27, 2009 at 4:16:00 pm

Hi Guys,
While I do not know that it is 100% necessary to do seperate boot drives for my studio it seems to work best. I like to keep FCS by itself and Pro Tools by itself. and since at the time 2 seperate machines was not an option this works best for me.
All my "working media" resides on a 4tb sata raid so all is accesable. to date this has worked great for me. I hope this helps you out

Life Begins at 155mph
Catch it edit it View it
3am Studios llc.
3amstudios.org
Sharedsummitsfever.com

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Apr 29, 2009 at 7:17:49 pm

The problem is probably your G5.

On Mac Pro I have Pro Tools HD1 and Kona LHe in the same computer, without any problems. I also have Blackmagic Multibridge Extreme, installed on a different OSX partition for Pro Tools work.

With Mac Pro and Pro Tools 8, Blackmagic let you monitor SD/HD video on external monitor while doing your audio work.

I asked an Aja engineer on IBC about support for Pro Tools, but unfortunately I got no definitive answer. Soon after that Digidesign announced support for Blackmagic.

Peter

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:13:52 pm

OK, so can I run Protools 8 on a MACPRO 8 Core with a KONA LHi as the I/O or not?

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on May 1, 2009 at 1:58:11 am

Since I started this monger I'll add this: I believe that Peter may be correct...it's the G5. It is an older model, a 2.5 dual with X slots. I've a 2.66 in the house which I'd like to take away from the web department and stick the KONA LH card in, loaded up Pro Tools 8.0, FCP 6.04 and see if that makes a difference. Problem is in a busy agency, we're all working our Macs to their fullest. My company is no different. It's what we do...how we make the rent money.

I tried the dual boot scenario with no luck. The KONA only runs on the 133mhz bus, so you can't just switch over to a different slot. A design flaw on the early G5's. But, it's fine for SATA cards, etc.

I have just dumbed down. I have gone back to a G4 in the video suite running a simple 7.4 version of Pro Tools which is fine for our audio for video. It just adds a step to the process of networking the files over to the other computer. (or sticking in a jump drive and pulling off the AIFF files).

I am surprised to the small extent that this situation has occurred or others have responded. All in all more money means better technology. I need a newer Mac Pro and that's probably the best answer...or spend the money, get a new Mac Pro and KONA 3.

For what it is worth: the ProAxcess line of DigiDesign is a premium but "thank goodness it's there" service. At $3 a minute ($75 cap per call) you get a Senior tech that knows the product and the Mac.

On the other hand, AJA is amazing for their service. I'm blown away by their "give our customers the best" attitude. It's incredible in this industry.

I can't fault either and admittedly should look inward to the computer.

Mike Maloney

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
beartoothrecording.com
mmg.bz

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 6, 2009 at 2:02:15 am

Anyone here get the LHe to work as a VO input using a desktop mixer(Mackie 1202). Signal path is- Mic/Mackie/Analog in to LHe = huge latency.(I monitor from the LHe AES direct to my speakers which have digital inputs).

I have a Metric Halo setup that has much zero latency but that is at the downtown studio.

MacPro Dual Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz, 6GB ram, 1TB Raid, Tiger 10.4.11, FCPStudio 2

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 6, 2009 at 1:13:14 pm

[Erik Mickelson] "Anyone here get the LHe to work as a VO input using a desktop mixer(Mackie 1202). Signal path is- Mic/Mackie/Analog in to LHe = huge latency.(I monitor from the LHe AES direct to my speakers which have digital inputs). "

Erik.

3 posts about how you have issues with "hugh latency" but to for anyone here to be able to solve this issue you will need to be VERY SPECIFIC about what FCP/ QT/ OS versions and what driver version you are running.

Most of the time issues like this can be attributed to improper installation of the Kona Driver and the associated firmware update (which must be done manually on all kona Pci/e cards)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Erik Mickelson
on May 6, 2009 at 4:04:03 pm

Thanks for the hint on the software Gary. I did a full AJA software uninstall and reinstall. Latency is low again!

Thanks Cow!

MacPro Dual Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, 6GB ram, 4TB SATA Raid, Tiger 10.4.11, FCPStudio 2, QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]