FORUMS: list search recent posts

Whinning on Kona LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Whinning on Kona LHe
on Apr 21, 2009 at 9:51:17 pm

I have a Kona LHe and I am noticing a wining noise on the audio output of the car both with output going to the card and without it. I have eliminated all grounding issues (finally) so I do not know what is going on here. I know someone who has a card that you can turn the volume up on the amp all the way on without hearing a single thing but with this card, around half way the whinning gets annoying. I am using a PowerMacG5 Quad with 4gb of RAM. I have asked them, Aja to replace my card which they have. This seems not have have had any effect. They are currently in the process of sending me a new breakout cable.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Re: Whinning on Kona LHe
on Apr 22, 2009 at 8:42:54 pm

I beleive the kind of noise I have is digital noise as an engineer I know came over and diagnosed it as such. What should i do?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 23, 2009 at 4:18:10 pm

#1 - disconnect the audio output of your MAC completely. It whines. End of story.
# 2 - if you have the Kona LHe, use the breakout cable that AJA gave you when you first bought it - not the KL box output. Now, monitoring the output of the Kona LHe XLR output, does it whine ? Exactly what are you plugging this cable into. Most modern mixers use 1/4" TRS inputs on their mixers, so you should have an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable to go into the LINE INPUT of your mixer (soundcraft, mackie, behringer, yamaha, etc.). DO NOT plug into the XR mic input of a mixer. And if you are, make sure that +48Volt phantom power is turned off.
#3 - disconnect any genlock reference to the AJA Kona LHe card. If the reference is bad and unstable, you will get all kinds of weird sounds.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 23, 2009 at 10:47:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me right after NAB. I always admire your true altruistic nature.
I have been using the breakout cable as I did not purchase the box. There is nothing connected to the genlock input as I have no genlock. I have XLR to RCA adapters to feed it right into my Yahamha receiver.
I tried hooking the XLR outputs directly into my JVC S-VHS decks as they are the only equipment I have, other than my mixer which I will try next, that has XLR inputs. Using this I get the same noise.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:21:34 am

your mixers XLR inputs are mic inputs, not line inputs. I assume that your mixer has 1/4" phone plug inputs, like all mixers that have been made in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. If you have a Shure mic mixer, this is not a mixer that you can use. If your only equipment is a SVHS machine, and a stereo receiver, why did you buy a Kona LHe ? Do you use this to capture from your camera ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:26:20 am

I bought the Kona to monitor the HD material I shoot with my HVX200a and JVC-HD200UB. I believe I will just get a converter for the AES output so I can plug that into the AV receiver.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:51:59 am

you already have analog XLR audio outputs. You will just be duplicating exactly what you currently own.
If you get an AES to analog converter, it will have XLR outputs, and you will have to send this into
your mixer (via 1/4" TRS phone plugs) or the direct RCA input of your receiver - and you will get DISTORTION because you are sending a +4dBu signal from the AJA into a -10dBu input on your
stereo receiver - so the mixer is still the best way to do this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:55:24 am

However, I will lose the hum/noise...no?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]