FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY HVR-M15P Device Control

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Crick
SONY HVR-M15P Device Control
on Apr 3, 2009 at 2:28:33 am

Hey all.

I work in a small editing facility and I'm having problems getting device control out of a SONY HVR-M15P into Final Cut 6.

If I'm capturing HDV it works fine through the Firewire cable but I want to be capturing Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) using my AJA KONA LH via component.

This works fine with the other Deck we have (JVC BR-HD50) because it can get Device Control via RS422. However I see no such option on the HVR Deck. There is a small round 9 pin port which I believe is for Device control but due to my unfamiliarlarity with SONY Decks I am unsure if this is actually for RS422 or any other type of Device Control. There are two round ports, one labled 'iLink' and the other 'Control' I cannot figure out their function.

So my real question is; is there a way to get device control through the firewire port but still capture ProRes through the AJA card?

If not, will making a cable which goes from the 'iLink' or 'Control' ports into the RS422 port on the AJA card work?

I Have been looking for answers to my questions for a few days and come up short, even SONY couldn't help me...although I'm not a great fan of SONY anyway.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to answer any questions you might have about the details of my set up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: SONY HVR-M15P Device Control
on Apr 3, 2009 at 3:37:18 pm

http://www.aja.com/html/support_konaLHe_doc.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 3, 2009 at 8:13:24 pm

Woops, this might work better for you:

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 5, 2009 at 12:18:29 pm

[Mike Crick] "So my real question is; is there a way to get device control through the firewire port but still capture ProRes through the AJA card? "

Easy Setup > Kona 1080i ProRes (frame rate of your choice)

Launch Log and Capture

Change Device Control to Firewire NTSC or PAL depending on where you are.

That's it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Mike Crick
on Apr 6, 2009 at 7:39:14 am

Thanks for both replies

In the end both helped greatly.

I'd already tried the solution Walter posted above but what I hadn't thought about was the 'iLink' settings in the deck. iLink was set to 'off' in my Deck settings, so all I had to do was change it to 'DV SP' and Device Control started working.

It's now working perfectly so thanks guys.

For those who want to know.

These are the settings:

Capture Settings: AJA Kona: 1080i 25fps ProRes 422 (HQ)

Device Control: Firewire NTSC or PAL

In Deck's menu you set iLink to "DV SP"

Should work like a charm.

Cheers
- Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]