FORUMS: list search recent posts

is AJA sitting on their Laurels??

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard chin
is AJA sitting on their Laurels??
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:15:08 pm

It is said the "only thing constant is change" and i have seen (and tasted) the crash of Media 100 and Pinnacle Cinewave, two former giants in the video editing industry ( and more recently DPS Velocity). Now I stand to be corrected but am I starting to see the early signs that signaled the end of the others in AJA?.
I keep seeing Blackmagic Design almost reinventing themselves ...launching small pcie HDMI cards to gobble up that prosumer market along with all sorts of colorful gadgets. Partnering with the likes of datavideo software for news character generator systems.

It seems like every time I speak to someone about a new system the first two words they utter is deck link. Having set up a deck link system recently I know it can't compare to AJA, but it just feels like AJA needs to get that cogwheel turning especially in this economic climate.

Richard
John 3:16

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: is AJA sitting on their Laurels??
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:23:27 pm

What? By making a cheaper board that does half of what the current boards do? I don't think so.

If you want a really cheap board, you buy BMD. If you want a professional board that does just about everything in truly realtime in true broadcast quality, you buy AJA.

Keep in mind that with each update, AJA keeps improving the Kona 3 board, which is sitting at two years old now and has more features on it today than the day it was released.

Also keep in mind AJA has a host of mini converters that may do what you need if all you're trying to do is just monitor a signal.

And lastly keep in mind how many OEM AJA boards are out there running just about every other NLE platform. There's a reason why those manufacturers run an AJA board and not a cheaper substitute.

So no, I don't think they're sitting on their laurels. They're still delivering the highest quality video boards with the most features on the market for Final Cut Pro. There's a place for BMD, Matrox and AJA out there, three different markets.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:51:32 pm

[walter biscardi] "AJA keeps improving the Kona 3 board, which is sitting at two years old now"

gotcha dude.... sorry but the the Kona 3 is 4 years old - it was the IoHD that was announced in 2007

I love posts like Richard's, especially the part about "resting on their laurels" so he has not seen the IoHD or the FS1 converter, or seen anything about "hardware support" for RED last year. I am not going to go into issues like a lack of hardware based cross conversion, woeful 2K support and the like.

Liken the 2 different cards to 2 different automobiles.

My kona card is like my mercedes, yeah it cost more- it is rock solid, runs like a champ and built like a tank.
However, my BMD cards were like fords- I was constantly in the fix or repair daily mode.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:06:25 pm

[gary adcock] "gotcha dude.... sorry but the the Kona 3 is 4 years old - it was the IoHD that was announced in 2007 "

THAT's right. 4 years now. Wow, still going strong and still outperforms just about everything else out there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 1, 2009 at 11:43:05 pm

Well walter, I'm getting ready to buy 4 AJA KONA (3 or 4?) cards so I really hope that there is a new offering with more hardware acceleration in the cards, and soon! Like NOW!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:50:44 pm

[Richard chin] "but it just feels like AJA needs to get that cogwheel turning especially in this economic climate. "

What would you like to see?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:30:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What would you like to see? "

That's actually an excellent question Jeremy.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:14:50 pm

I, for one, would like to see a choice of colors on the outside ends of the cards, that silver is so 20th century.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 1, 2009 at 11:49:18 pm

Hardware acceleration for real time FX (and not just transitions). How about rendering acceleration for Motion and AE?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 1, 2009 at 11:57:34 pm

[Pat McGowan] "Hardware acceleration for real time FX (and not just transitions). How about rendering acceleration for Motion and AE? "

Motion relies on the GPU. AE relies on the processors.

More realtime FX is easily achieveable with high speed arrays.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 5, 2009 at 1:27:22 pm

So the future of non linear editing is in the development of CPUs, GPUs, Memory and Storage? If that's the case I'd venture a guess that we'll be retired long before a real time 4K system (no wait-states for rendering in the NLE application suite) exists. Hardware acceleration on the video interface board has to be part of the architecture. No? yes?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:54:22 pm

Hi Richard,
You are an idiot. You are not looking for new incredible features from AJA. You are not looking for native RED workflow, or native MXF import capability. You are not looking for any of this. You are looking for AJA to DROP THEIR PRICES. That is all you are bitching about.

It is companies like Blackmagic that are playing "catchup". Up until recently, the AJA Kona 3 and AJA I/O HD (a new product) were the only capture cards that could do SD to HD upconversion (kind of important - wouldn't you think) - so now, Blackmagic on the Decklink HD Extreme and the Matrox MXO 2 can FINALLY do SD to HD upconversion. But these are new developments.

I am not trying to insult Blackmagic - they make good stuff, and their Broadcast Videohub is incredible, and their mini converters are good too. But Richard - do you want a $15,000 router ? I don't think so. You want AJA to respond to the Blackmagic $249 Intensity card. Do you know what I do when I get a call from a REAL client on a Blackmagic Intensity card - I hang up the phone - just like I do with a telemarkerter. Blackmagic makes good stuff, and they make crap stuff. Pros dont' deal with crap stuff. Richard - you should be charging A LOT OF MONEY so the cost of AJA hardware is "pennies" compared to what your editing rates are. If you feel that $1700 is a lot of money for an AJA Kona LHe, and you have to work for 2 months to just pay for an AJA Kona LHe - then you are my enemy, because you are giving away your services as an editor.

I hear editors talking about $88 hard drives, while we use the most sophistocated RAID arrays that can do 2K media. We are professionals - we are not doing student films. This is not a student film user forum. ALL OF THE FORUMS ON CREATIVE COW are profesional forums.

AJA makes great stuff. They are not going to charge $249 for an AJA Kona 3. I would like to see things from AJA (like a PCIe interface board for the I/O HD), but I NEVER EVER want to see AJA selling capture products for $149 - that is when I push my clients to "kick it up a notch".

I want to repeat that Blackmagic makes some teriffic products, and they are NOT cheap.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:01:43 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You are an ... "

Bob,

I wish I could do what you do....

gary

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:12:25 pm

[gary adcock] "[Bob Zelin] "You are an ... "

Bob,

I wish I could do what you do....
"

I was just wondering how long it would take Bob to find this thread..... Glad I had already swallowed my coffee before I read it or I would have had to clean the spew off the screen again....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:13:43 pm

[Bob Zelin] " I would like to see things from AJA (like a PCIe interface board for the I/O HD), but I NEVER EVER want to see AJA selling capture products for $149 - that is when I push my clients to "kick it up a notch". "

I'm still waiting for the free Nick Rashby autographed 8x10 with every Kona 3 order..... sigh........

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:20:36 pm

It is always a good thing to do before posting, "How will Bob respond to this."

Thank you Bob once again you lightened my day. I will buy you a free drink at the NAB gathering.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:36:52 pm

[walter biscardi] "I'm still waiting for the free Nick Rashby autographed 8x10 with every Kona 3 order."

You did not order 10 cards?

That was the minimum order for the signed photo offer.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:46:10 pm

[gary adcock] "You did not order 10 cards?

That was the minimum order for the signed photo offer. "

DAGNABBIT!! I only have three cards. I'm gonna need a bigger boat......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:56:46 pm

Yes Bob is always elegant in his delivery :) wow

He is like the Simon Cowell for the The Cow.....with wild hair of course.

We still must not forget that peoples perceptions do mean something and it could be a perception that AJA isn't doing much because they are not releasing a gazillion low end solutions that are absolutely meaningless to a high-end workflow.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Richard chin
on Apr 2, 2009 at 2:54:01 am

Wow horsey Wow! Easy there fellas.

Look you got me all wrong. I have a allot of money invested in AJA hardware, and it is in my best interest to fly the AJA flag. I'm not questioning the quality, performance or Price of AJA's superior products. I'm just saying that too often when I suggest AJA to studios I keep getting "AJA... what's that?" ...but BMD they know all too well.
This analogy is kind of different but follow me here... there have been times that I have to explain to computer experts (younger ones mainly) who believe that AMD are the pioneers and Intel is the small clone company playing catch-up. The same can happen to AJA. So Bob it’s one thing to be in a bubble singing "we are the champions.." and the reality may be that many customers (who don't care about price) are seeing the glitz and glamour of a competitor. AJA has made me quite a bit of money and its just my concerns and love for the AJA product that sparked this post that’s all.

Richard Chin

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 2, 2009 at 6:33:17 am

[Richard chin] "I'm just saying that too often when I suggest AJA to studios I keep getting "AJA... what's that?""

What type of studios are you talking to? I cannot see how any professional shop does not know who AJA is unless they do zero reading or research.

But honestly want type of response where you thinking would happen on an AJA forum. Nobody is knocking BMD, not even Bob, everyone is just wondering what you are wanting from AJA, cheap HDMI only cards? it is not there market. But sitting on their laurels?????? Thems fighting words. Asking the same question in a different manner might have gotten a softer response.

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Apr 2, 2009 at 9:37:12 am

Don't y'all worry, it's coming. The innovation I mean.

Return to posts index

Richard chin
on Apr 5, 2009 at 6:22:05 pm

"Hi Richard,
You are an idiot."

Its ok Bob ...I still love you!

Richard

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 7, 2009 at 8:37:49 pm

I still love you too, Richard !

Bob Zelin
John 00:03:16:00

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Apr 10, 2009 at 11:48:02 am

Hey Richard:

I agree with Mike, i cant imagine what kind of studio would not know who AJA is. I myself am rebuilding my edit suites (2 of them) and i just started shooting RED material. And yes i have been considering my options. But when i research the reliability and support from the board manufacturers AJA wins every time. Not to mention a feature set that knocks the socks off anything out there.

I understand what u are saying but AJA are going after the pro market as the guys said. What i would like to see Jeremy is

New breakout boxes for the LHe and 3, with an HDMI out connection on it. (so i can have an extra option for monitoring)

Native MXF support, but then again there is DVCPRO HD and HDV support so maybe that native MXF import is something apple should be responsible for. (correct me if im wrong guys)

Realtime RED Raw support, (maybe with a new board AJA Red ooooo) or Kona 4 or something. u guys need to talk to apple, quicktime need to get out of the equation somewhat. no re wrapping please.

when i think of something else i'll say

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 10, 2009 at 12:29:27 pm

[Nigel Thompson] "Realtime RED Raw support, (maybe with a new board AJA Red ooooo) or Kona 4 or something"

Realtime RAW RED support would be on Apple and this was something I asked the RED team about two years ago. I was told it could never happen because of the way FCP is wholly built around Quicktime.

Of course, that was two years ago. Whether they've been able to come up with something in the meantime, I'm not sure, but that's what I was told by their team at NAB the last time I was there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 10, 2009 at 4:33:46 pm

[Nigel Thompson] "What i would like to see Jeremy is... "

Awesome, Nigel. That's some good info and real world uses.

As far as MXF, yes FCP needs to catch up, but the guys at MXF4mac are working hard on MXF workflows for FCP and treating MXF as a beginning to end solution, from shoot to archive and everything in between. I don't know if you've seen it, but check this out:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/garchow_jeremy/dvc_pro_hd.php

All we need now is Apple to license the AVC-I codec from Panasonic and all the nice quality AVC-I stuff can be edited in FCP in real time, no log and transfer, no rewrapping and metadata all in tact. Sweet. Don't know if this will happen, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I am sure Apple is working on new format and system integration, they'd be silly not to as I am sure everyone else is looking at all of these options and thinking long and hard about them.

Hopefully NAB will adress some of these open ended questions.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:57:32 pm

Yea Jeremy:

I've messed with it for a bit, not extensively tho, And Walter you are very correct.

Well Lets see what apple does with FCS 3, As i said they need to step away from quicktime a bit. Im sure when they started FCP the MXF conundrum was not around, neither was all this RAW stuff. So i suppose a re-write is in order.All this tape less stuff is turning things around.

Kinda like how electric cars are goin to be in a couple years, but thats a whole other thread.

im waiting for NAB's craziness to be over, plan on getting the LHe for one suite and a 3/RED/whatever is released if anything, for the other suite. RED is really taking off so the more support the merrier.

Hey i have a suggestion Jeremy. maybe u guys can make boards with RAW support for photographers, acceleration. how does that strike u? or does the GPU's these days handle that sort of thing?

in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:02:03 pm

And that AVC - I thingy in real time is needed in a big way

in the Caribbean

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 11, 2009 at 7:09:44 pm

I'd like to see support for 30 pN.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 11, 2009 at 7:27:38 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "I'd like to see support for 30 pN. "

There's no reaon you can't do 30pN from Panasnoic tape sources. You just have to make your own easy setup.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 12, 2009 at 1:28:35 am

We are actually using the AJA Xena to playback to SDI to a Panasonic HD monitor. I was told by AJA themselves that they currently do not support the 30 PN format, a very popular format for non broadcast applications.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 12, 2009 at 1:22:10 pm

[Vince Becquiot] " was told by AJA themselves that they currently do not support the 30 PN format, a very popular format for non broadcast applications. "

Thats because it is not video. AJA makes VIDEO CARDS not graphics cards.

SMPTE rules say that the 720 format needs to have 59.94/ 60 frames- 30pn does not conform any more than 720p24 does.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 12, 2009 at 5:02:32 pm

Gary, my post was in the spirit of requests posted above, and less of "expectation".

That being said, as you know 30pN will cut your precious recording space nearly in half on a SS card, and while I know it is no SMPTE standard, it is still a video format used by many solid state shooters. We just have no way to play back a native timeline through SDI either to tape or for preview.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 12, 2009 at 4:15:21 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "We are actually using the AJA Xena to playback to SDI to a Panasonic HD monitor. "

Hmm, well I have no experience with a Xena, but 30pN is fully supported with the Kona/Mac platform. Like Gary alluded to, when played back, the Kona/FCP add 2:2 pulldown to conform to SMPTE 720p59.94.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 12, 2009 at 5:05:17 pm

It does show the correct pulldown on the monitor itself, but the image cuts off and appears scrambled 3/4 of the way on the right side and bottom.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 12, 2009 at 6:32:15 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "It does show the correct pulldown on the monitor itself, but the image cuts off and appears scrambled 3/4 of the way on the right side and bottom. "

then the firmware is not correct on your board.

As jeremy said - the card will add the correct pulldown.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 12, 2009 at 6:54:40 pm

Gary,

I do have the latest firmware. And while it does add the correct pulldown, I think the card has issues with the format itself. The exact same thing happens on the BM cards, and AJA's answer was that 30pN is not supported at this time.

I certainly would love to find work around for this issue, but I spent hours trying. We are currently using DVI on a second Quadro FX card to output to an Panasonic LH 1760, but we have a slight audio delay due to processing (I guess this could be solved by a delay unit), as well as issues with frame aspect ratio.

Due to the fact the the monitor is actually 16:10, the footage get stretched vertically, and not way to keep the Quadro FX in non scale 1280x768, it just goes back to its default scaling setting.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 12, 2009 at 8:38:43 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "I do have the latest firmware. And while it does add the correct pulldown, I think the card has issues with the format itself. The exact same thing happens on the BM cards, and AJA's answer was that 30pN is not supported at this time. "

Is this from Premiere? What OS/system are you on?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Apr 13, 2009 at 4:23:29 am

CS3 on XP.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Studios
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 13, 2009 at 1:48:12 pm

[Vince Becquiot] "CS3 on XP. "

Have you tried Machina?

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Apr 18, 2009 at 9:35:56 pm

Two days until we get an answer to the question......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]