FORUMS: list search recent posts

downcoverting to progressive 525

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
downcoverting to progressive 525
on Mar 24, 2009 at 12:50:03 am

I've got a 1080p 24fps 422 ProRes project that I can down-convert to 525 29.9 fps using a Kona 3 preset recording directly to a Digi Beta. It is fast and looks good. However I am becoming spoiled working with progressive images and the NTSC's interlace really seems obvious and anoying.

Is it possible to down-convert the HD and record a 525 29.9 PsF and have the Digi Beta record this? I understand segmented field gives the same vertical resolution as true progressive. Is there a way to have the Kona put this out and would the VCR properly play and record this? To get it to true progressive I guess I'd have to bring it into FCP.

My ultimate goal is to make 525 progressive NTSC DVD's of 5 hrs of HD material. What's the easiest work flow to get this HD footage to a 525 Progressive DVD?

Return to posts index

MIchael Sacci
Re: downcoverting to progressive 525
on Mar 24, 2009 at 1:31:58 am

Why are you going out to tape if your end result is DVD. Use Compressor to Downconvert as it does the m2v encode. Use 24p to keep the frame rate and progressive frames.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:04:26 pm

Michael,
Thanks for the reply.

The reason I am going to tape is for convenience and for additional archival security. I transferred the 15 year old 4:3 16mm film anamorphically filling the entire 16X9 HD frame. (I was thinking I might need the extra pixels to capture the entire resolution of the film) I've used the Kon's amorphic downcovert option to restore the 4:3 aspect into NTSC. This is for quick and easy screenings and has worked well.

I've done some tests with the Kona3 - downcoverting to NTSC and then up-ressing back to HD and putting it next to the original in the same timeline. I evaluated this on several HD monitors. I was surprized at the minimal visual quality loss (primarily ~50% vertical resolution loss). It seems that the original film's resolution could largely be captured by progressive 525 video.

Question: If I use Compressor, can I anamophically squeeze it to 4:3? How long would it take to render 3 1/2 hrs. of HD material on my 8 core 3.2Mhz Mac to progressive 24frame NTSC and then author to DVD's? For reviewing copies it is hard to beat the speed of realtime playback into a standalone DVD burner. This is why I am seeking a way to get progressive NTSC out of the Kona.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:38:52 pm

Digibeta is either NTSC or PAL. Both are interlaced.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 25, 2009 at 5:14:20 am

A lot of different info going on here. If you are going to SD tape you are going interlace. You can set the pull down scheme in the Kona Control Panel to be 2:3:3:2 which should allow for a cleaner pull down removal when you capture the footage from the SD tape to get it back to 23.98p.

[Ted Joyce] "can I anamophically squeeze it to 4:3" with compressor there is never a reason to do this, it should be 16:9 anamorphic (1.2 aspect ratio).

[Ted Joyce] " For reviewing copies it is hard to beat the speed of realtime playback into a standalone DVD burner."
Why not go from the HD timeline to the DVD Recorder to burn your DVDs?

Personally I would make HDCAM tapes which can be 23.98.

[Ted Joyce] " I transferred the 15 year old 4:3 16mm film anamorphically filling the entire 16X9 HD frame."
In doing this you have to be cropping the top and bottom of the image off. This is not a right or wrong thing but a is that what you wanted thing. When you down convert the HD to SD with a center crop you loss some off the right and left, so you are left with a center punch of the image that was on the film. You have lose some off the top, bottom, left and right.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Mar 25, 2009 at 4:37:27 pm

Michael,
Sorry I've asked so many diverse questions. Thanks for answering them. Basically I'm hoping to make convenient progressive-scan reviewing copies of all this material.

Is a progressive PAL or NTSC DVD via compressor practical for 3 1/2 hrs. of HD material. What would the encode and burn time be? Many hours? I will probably have to do this several times as the editing progresses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]