FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona 6.0.3 question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Istook
AJA Kona 6.0.3 question
on Mar 22, 2009 at 12:27:43 pm

I recently installed the new AJA update -- 6.0.3. Two questions:

1. Does the "Enable Desktop Display" checkbox appear on the LHe Control Panel 6.0.3? If so, I'm not seeing it on my setup tab as the .pdf manual indicates it would be.

2. Is anyone else having trouble downconverting from 29.97 1080i to a 29.97 525i capture in FCP? This is supposedly one of the fixes AJA issued with this update, but so far I'm not having any luck.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Marc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: AJA Kona 6.0.3 question
on Mar 22, 2009 at 1:59:29 pm

[Marc Istook] "having trouble downconverting from 29.97 1080i to a 29.97 525i capture in FCP? This is supposedly one of the fixes AJA issued with this update, but so far I'm not having any luck. "

My copy of the notes say that it is 1080sf 23.98 to 525 29.97i is what is fixed.

And downconversions need to be set in the Kona Control panel, not from within FCP.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Marc Istook
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:25:55 pm

"My copy of the notes say that it is 1080sf 23.98 to 525 29.97i is what is fixed.
And downconversions need to be set in the Kona Control panel, not from within FCP."

Gary,

According to Kona's release notes:
Resolved an issue during capture involving down-conversion of 1080i29.97 to 525i29.97.

As for the downconversions -- I am setting it up properly in the Kona Control Panel. I want to capture 525 in FCP from a 1080 source. So in FCP, I set the capture template properly - to 525. Then in the KCP, I have the source at 1080, frame buffer at 525 and output at 525. The Downconvert icon shows as it should between the input and framebuffer. But I'm only seeing frame stutter in FCP and my output monitor. When I try capturing 1080 and then downconverting to the 525 monitor, it works fine. I'm guessing the fix Kona issued (as referenced above) for some reason isn't working my system yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marc

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 22, 2009 at 2:03:33 pm

[Marc Istook] "2. Is anyone else having trouble downconverting from 29.97 1080i to a 29.97 525i capture in FCP? This is supposedly one of the fixes AJA issued with this update, but so far I'm not having any luck. "

That has worked since day one, as Gary notes, it was 23.98 that was fixed.

In FCP you should be set for HD.

In the AJA Control Panel you should have your formats set correctly and the output set to 525.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Marc Istook
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:30:10 pm

"That has worked since day one, as Gary notes, it was 23.98 that was fixed.
In FCP you should be set for HD.
In the AJA Control Panel you should have your formats set correctly and the output set to 525."

Walt,

According to Kona's own support personnel, the 1080i 29.97 to 525i 29.97 downconvert didn't work properly with the 6.0.2 release. Their release notes for 6.0.3 states that this was fixed:
"Resolved an issue during capture involving down-conversion of 1080i29.97 to 525i29.97."

I, however, have not gotten this fix to work.

I'm not setting FCP to capture HD because I don't want the files in HD -- I'm using them in SD, hence the need for the downconversion prior to capture.

Everything is setup properly (FCP: 525 capture, Kona Control Panel: 1080 in, 525 framebuffer, downconvert between the two) but for some reason it's not working properly -- I'm getting stuck frames instead of smooth video.

- Marc

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 22, 2009 at 8:49:26 pm

[Marc Istook] "1. Does the "Enable Desktop Display" checkbox appear on the LHe Control Panel 6.0.3? If so, I'm not seeing it on my setup tab as the .pdf manual indicates it would be. "

There are 2 versions of the Kona driver. The "NDD" version (No Digital Desktop) does not have any desktop display. The other version will. If you're a Shake user, you don't want the NDD version.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Marc Istook
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:32:01 pm

[Arnie] "There are 2 versions of the Kona driver. The "NDD" version (No Digital Desktop) does not have any desktop display. The other version will. If you're a Shake user, you don't want the NDD version."

According to the manual included in the 6.0.3 .zip, the regular version should allow you the checkbox option to switch between desktop display enabled or disabled. Is that not the case anymore -- that you have to choose prior to installation if you want NDD or not?

- Marc

Return to posts index

arnie schlissel
on Mar 23, 2009 at 8:44:48 pm

The checkbox is still there for the "standard" driver. Apparently there was an issue with some systems, hence the NDD driver with no checkbox.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Mar 25, 2009 at 8:06:04 pm

[Marc Istook] "According to the manual included in the 6.0.3 .zip, the regular version should allow you the checkbox option to switch between desktop display enabled or disabled. Is that not the case anymore -- that you have to choose prior to installation if you want NDD or not? "

Look under the Setup Tab in the Kona 3 Control Panel. In the area labeled Video Setup, you'll see a checkbox to Enable Desktop Display.

Yes... Its a screwed up placement for this checkbox but that's where it is...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Marc Istook
on Mar 23, 2009 at 6:54:56 pm

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with AJA support... Apparently the Kona LHe card will downconvert on output, NOT on input. I was told the card will take a 1080 signal down to 525 after the framebuffer, but not before. So, problem solved apparently.

Thanks,
Marc

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Mar 24, 2009 at 4:16:20 am

Really!? Im sure I've used it to down convert 1080i component to 525 Prores on ingest into FCP....

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:41:36 pm

I've never been able to downconvert on ingest, just on output...
Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:48:44 pm

Perhaps I'm mistaken and had the deck down-convert on output while ingesting. Weird though, I remember wondering to myself which would do the better down-conversion, the Sony HDV deck, or the AJA card, and thought I decided to feed the card component HD and let it do the down-convert. This was a few months ago, the deck was a rental i don't have anymore so the memory is a little foggy.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:54:22 pm

Probably. You can patch out the SD out from the deck and let it do the downconversion. I did a side by side comparison once and if I remember correctly the deck was a TINY bit better.

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Mar 25, 2009 at 7:28:51 pm

Marc- I have down converted my HDV to 525 on ingest many times. Here is what the control panel looks like on down convert;

To get the down convert I set input at 1080i and then right clicked the frame buffer and chose 525.

HTH,
Jerry

G5 Dual 3GB Ram
FCP Studio 6.02
External 1 TB SATA Raid 0
Kona LH, Second system w AJA ioLA
Sony Z-1
GV-HD700

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]